Help choosing 1/12 car kit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help choosing 1/12 car kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Rookie

how about Corally? i heard that they used to be very good specially the design which did not have the T-plate. So , how is their design currently.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

12R5.1.....

My last 1/12 was a Delta P-12 Spider (that will tell you how long it's been)

I just got back into 1/12 last week with a 12R5.1 and it's been a dream. Great handling, very easy to "tweak" very receptive to changes without going too far one way or another and has been pretty bullet proof having survived my board testing while re-learning how to drive again.

Maybe a CRC or ?? down the line but until I see better support or get beat consistently then it's AE for me.

My $.02
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

They are all good and not to different from each other any more, except the DBR12. I would go with whatever your local track or hobby shop stocks parts for. You WILL need parts and it sucks to have to sit out after breaking something in the first qualifier and not having a replacement. At least if you run what the others at your track run, you can always mooch a part to get by.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveL
They are all good and not to different from each other any more, except the DBR12. I would go with whatever your local track or hobby shop stocks parts for. You WILL need parts and it sucks to have to sit out after breaking something in the first qualifier and not having a replacement. At least if you run what the others at your track run, you can always mooch a part to get by.
Steve, I believe my 12R5.1 was once owned by Larry Stone.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The cars that really impress me are....
in no order...
Speed Merchant R6
CRC GenXL
R5.1

I'd be happy with any of them.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

another vote for a 5.1.

Parts support is huge so of course factor that. I've only driven 2 12th scales. My previous car was a CRC. It took me a while to get it set, but once I did get it set, it ran great.

If I had to compare the the two, the CRC is a lot more aggressive and the 5.1 is easier to drive.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Steve, I believe my 12R5.1 was once owned by Larry Stone.

It must be in really good shape as Larry did not run 1/12 scale much here.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think there few things to take into consideration when choosing any new car.
Parts and availability are paramount but also track support, i don't mean whether corally, AE, xray or anyone frequents the track with a truck of spares, mainly how many people run it at your track.

As you know in the right hand many cars are the quickest.

So these are the main areas I look at.

To be Biased though, AE12R5.1

Mines coming tomorrow lol!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Ok to throw another opinion in you might consider the BMI copperhead. Imo Jasons design is the very best for anyone just starting 1/12 as it does not tweak like all the link car do. Getting a car setup and tweaked/balanced correctly is one of the biggest parts of running 1/12. And his design is almost impossible to tweak. I've seen alot of begginers try 1/12 and give up because thay hit a few boards and then their car is tweaked and undrivable each run. I own or have owned/driven the S120, 12r5, CRC GenX, Rev5; and the BMI is still my ride of choice. This is just my opinion baised on my skills and experience.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveL
It must be in really good shape as Larry did not run 1/12 scale much here.
Yes in excellent condition and worked very well right out of the box.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
These days, the layout and also the performance of the various side spring cars from Xray, Serpent, AE, CRC, Speedmerchant, etc has evolved to the point that they are all very very similar. There are relatively subtle detail variations in the back end from one brand to the next. There's a wider disparity in the way that each brand executes their front end. But even up front, the end results are very similar one brand vs the others. So the choice should probably be based on the level of product support that you can expect from a given company and also from other drivers in your area who might be able to help you with a given car. Also key is the availability of parts for the car of your choice in your area. And your personal preference for the details of each car is an important factor. They are all good cars these days. Maybe the tie breaker could be price. In that arena, none of the other offerings can touch CRC's pricing for their GenXL, which can be had for under $200 from a variety of sources (including directly from CRC on their website).
I just purchased a 12R5 off of Associateds web site for $119 delivered to my door!!!! It has a different rear pod than the 5.1, its a wide pod but looks more "old school", does not affect lap times!! I have been racing mod with it with 4.0, have not broke it yet!!!! By far its the best bang for the $$!!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Murray
I just purchased a 12R5 off of Associateds web site for $119 delivered to my door!!!! It has a different rear pod than the 5.1, its a wide pod but looks more "old school", does not affect lap times!! I have been racing mod with it with 4.0, have not broke it yet!!!! By far its the best bang for the $$!!!!
That comes out to about 1/4 the cost of a sedan too
Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Serpent S120L. Idk what my friend chadb's talking about! This car is very consistent. This is my favorite car out of Crc,Associated,Xray. This car goes together perfect!