Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 21.5

Hi there all,

I have been running 13.5 as our control motor at my local club, but due to the advance in motors and mainly speed controls, we are finding them too fast for our small indoor track (bearing in mind there are mixed abilities).

We are looking to go 21.5 so I did some testing last night.... I either had 45c and dog slow.... or 90c and great for the first 4 laps till it reached the fore mentioned 90c!!

I turned all my turbos, timing right down to try and lower the heat... but it seems really sensative to adjustment, one pinion made a LOT of difference.

What are you guys finding out going from 13.5 to 21.5... have you altered gearing and or settings on the speed control?

any advice gladly listened to
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wide_mouth_frog
Hi there all,

I have been running 13.5 as our control motor at my local club, but due to the advance in motors and mainly speed controls, we are finding them too fast for our small indoor track (bearing in mind there are mixed abilities).

We are looking to go 21.5 so I did some testing last night.... I either had 45c and dog slow.... or 90c and great for the first 4 laps till it reached the fore mentioned 90c!!

I turned all my turbos, timing right down to try and lower the heat... but it seems really sensative to adjustment, one pinion made a LOT of difference.

What are you guys finding out going from 13.5 to 21.5... have you altered gearing and or settings on the speed control?

any advice gladly listened to
Our 21.5's are pulling about a second or two slower than 13.5 and we run boost on the 13.5's and none on the 21.5's You'll get a lot more from gearing than timing from what I've seen.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Our club found the same thing and running 13.5 using the newer ESC's like those from Tekin with the turbo boost had speeds way too fast. We've since adopted 17.5 motors with zero boost or timing advance and things are much better now. We also use the Tamiya black can sport motors as the lower motor limit so racers don't feel obliged to buy into BL setups. Seems to be working very well.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For us 21.5 way to slow. 17.5 no timing or boost works out perfect we call it stock. 17.5 open we call it super stock. Our guys love it everyone is happy.

Our indoor track is 100x45

try 17.5 no timing for a small
track
Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many thanks for the replies, as we dont have much time or man power, we dont police the turbos, we just allow them, our track is about 17x17m so the turbo is not a huge advantage, its just that 13.5 is too quick.

I wanted to see what the 21.5 was like... and it was like running my Tamiya mini!! so much slower than 27t.

Just wondered if anyone has gone from 13.5 to 21.5, if so did they alter the gearing....

I will try turning the turbo off... what about timing... do you still play with that?