Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB - Thoughts & Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Novak GTB - Thoughts & Opinions

Im planning on getting a Novak GTB instead of a Speed Passion Gran Turismo V2.0 since it's out of stock atm. If the time comes to put down my order on AMain and the SP is still out, Ill get the Novak.

But what are the differences between the two? It's going to be used with a 21.5 Epic D3 motor, and I'll only be racing at a club level for now, so if I do get into it seriously, then I might get the SP or a Tekin.

I also need the whole lot by next week Thursday, so I don't have much time to wait. Should I stick it out and wait for the SP to return back in stock, or just go for the GTB? Thanks guys. Jamie.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

gtb not programmable great in its time and still good for mod,sp tekin are upgradable and multiple tuning features,if you are not going to run anything but a stock spec class by the novak if you want to step up over time look at the other 2 or lrp and novak kenetic.you need to look at what you want to do 6 months-2 years down the road
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
Im planning on getting a Novak GTB instead of a Speed Passion Gran Turismo V2.0 since it's out of stock atm. If the time comes to put down my order on AMain and the SP is still out, Ill get the Novak.

But what are the differences between the two? It's going to be used with a 21.5 Epic D3 motor, and I'll only be racing at a club level for now, so if I do get into it seriously, then I might get the SP or a Tekin.

I also need the whole lot by next week Thursday, so I don't have much time to wait. Should I stick it out and wait for the SP to return back in stock, or just go for the GTB? Thanks guys. Jamie.

Dont bother with the GTB. Its old and not programmable. You will be so slow compared to the other guys on the track.

Even if you run without boost/turbo for now, having the option in the future is nice.

I still run my GTB in a 10.5/2C pan car though. Reliable. But only useful in SPEC racing, and Mod.

Shawn
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Speedo

Buy once and buy the Tekin!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Buy once and buy the Tekin!
+1. UNLESS your track is going to have a cow every time that you want to run SPEC or Tekin (or whatever you choose) releases another software upgrade. GTBs used to be the go to controller, tuff as nails, and as good as any other SPEC controller out there. Can't go wrong with it, but you can't do anything other than SPEC/STOCK racing with it unless you have some mechanical timing in your motor. In what it's intended for, it's not any faster or slower than any other NON-programable speedo. Once you get into the higher end programable speedos, though, nothing fixed program can even come close.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am not a serious racer by any means, would like to be but not much racing going on where I am. I have been using the GTB for the last four years and have had no issues with it. There is a new GTB 2 Sportsman coming out next month. Personally I don't need all the boost and PC programmability so for the price of a Tekin RS Pro or Novak Kinetic I can, and am, buying a GTB 2 plus a Ballistic 17.5 . I read a lot of post about 13.5 and 10.5 motors being "Too Fast" so really unless you are very competitive do you need a top of the shelf racing ESC? Just a thought but others know more than I.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a GTB in my Touring Stock TC5 seems as good as any other I've used, it's just a little bit bigger.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got a GTB spread spectrum, very reliable speedo.

One of these days club racers will realize they can go the same speed with a GTB + a 10.5 or MOD motor as the programmable stuff at half the cost. I've got Tekin stuff and it's nice but dang, ........ you pay for it and then you have to figure out how to maximize the programming, drag the laptop to the track.....etc.

I still prefer the "old school" way of goin' fast, it's cheaper and easier.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

If your running a GTB and a 21.5 what class are you racing? VTA/ RCGT

GTB are just physically bigger. More cumbersome. The size of the Tekins is the nicest feature. Gives you lots of room to move electronics around.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

GTB is still good. BUT... the brake is not as good/smooth as the newer controllers. Right now I love the Hobbywing (e.g Speedpassion).
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scribbler
The size of the Tekins is the nicest feature. Gives you lots of room to move electronics around.
I'll give ya that for sure. I also like that fact they don't need a big heat sink & fan.

Maybe we need a Tekin "basic" or club spec? I guess this is bit off subject though......
Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you can wait till December, GTB 2 Sportsman should be a good alternative, no fuss, no muss, install it and race, just like the old GTB, but smaller.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

O.O
So many responses!! Holy crap!!!

OK, well the class I'm running in is 21.5 class, hence the 21.5 motor. Its the Team Epic Duo 3 motor, so the timing is adjustable on the motor itself. Thats why I was thinking the GTB.

Wait for December???? Obviously you didn't read my post where I have until the end of THIS WEEK to get everything sorted.

If I was to go Tekin, my options would be:
R1 Sensorless --> least expensive
R1 Pro Sensorless
RS Sensored Brushed/Brushless -->most expensive

Crap!! AMain only has the Crawler version. FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody know where I can get the 1057 version and not the 1055 to Australia????
If not, which motor would be better out of these 2:
Novak SS Pro Brushless
Speed Passion Competition V3
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does your order have to be through Amain?? Why not try Stormer or another store if you need to have it right away?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have owned and raced a GTB + 17.5 (Stock)... Tekins RS Pro killed it, so i went to... wait for it....

Cheap arsed Hobbywing V2.0.. The difference is so unbelievably huge i wouldn't have believed it if i hadnt seen it myself. CobraRacing on here helped me set it up, and to be honest, i am yet to even connect the programmer to it...

In aus i bought it for $140

GTB's are pretty cheap now, and good to buy second hand if you are not interested in racing or the class you are looking at doesnt allow a prog speedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.