R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC6 vs Xray T3 2011 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/448169-tc6-vs-xray-t3-2011-a.html)

lookieaefanboi 10-30-2010 05:26 PM

TC6 vs Xray T3 2011

As someone who has come from an offroad background I am looking at buying my first tc. Obviously I want something that is designed to suit lipo and has decent parts support from my lhs. That is why I am looking at these two cars and really cant decide between them. I will be running 21.5t and looking to move to 13.5t later in the year. The xray is around $100 more than the ae, is it worth it and why? Should I go gear diffs as I see a lot of ppl using them and if so should they be used both front and rear?

hacker 10-30-2010 05:35 PM

the way you drive, you NEED an xray.......:lol:

Just4funracing 10-30-2010 05:43 PM

I would go with the Xray... really good material and they are much stronger than the tc6(mostly the same front plastics as the tc5) 2 years ago I went from offroad to onroad with a tc5, its pretty fragile. If you get a tc6 get a hard bumper...

lookieaefanboi 10-30-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by hacker (Post 8144033)
the way you drive, you NEED an xray.......:lol:

OMG You forum stalker you :P

RCknight 10-31-2010 01:19 AM

Xray is well worth the $100 in my opinion. Some great features are the diffs, cvds, and the toe blocks are not on the bulk heads. Althought the TC6 has a great value feel to it. Good luck.

wtcc 10-31-2010 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Just4funracing (Post 8144057)
I would go with the Xray... really good material and they are much stronger than the tc6(mostly the same front plastics as the tc5) 2 years ago I went from offroad to onroad with a tc5, its pretty fragile. If you get a tc6 get a hard bumper...

I cannot understand where this experiences come from. My personal experience is that the TC5 is not weaker than any other Pro-TC. In my two seasons Indoor and Outdoor the only thing that breaks is the C-Hub. Mostly on the right side, when hitting the wall with full speed. The original Asso bumper is one of the strongest among all TC. Even a full speed impact against an egde won't hurt the car.
I never had bend or broken any other part of the car, even though I began TC just a year ago and did some very stupid driving in the first months with to strong BL-motors.

+ X-ray: wide appearance, clever ideas integrated, a lot of tuning options available
- X-ray: price

+ TC6: nice price, easy to drive
- TC6: not available yet...

Foxxrocket 10-31-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Just4funracing (Post 8144057)

I don't think you can really prove that just by copy and pasting your experiences over to the TC6. Remember, the TC6 is not available to the general public.

LOSIRACER77 10-31-2010 06:56 AM

cars

after looking at both cars, i think that u should get the t3r from xray

TRXRACER99 10-31-2010 08:56 AM

if you check out ae web site it said MOST of the suspension parts are still from the TC5.
I personaly race with a guy who has a tc6 and is sponsored by ae. he breaks his car maybe 3 times a day because he taps the wall ever so slightly. It is a faster car then the tc5 but the parts that break have not changed too much.

Sidel 10-31-2010 09:23 AM

Nobody really knows what type of car is really Associateted TC6 because it isn't still available.Anyway in general Associated are cars very easy to drive instead X ray are a little nervous so in your case i will take AE.

Josh Hohnstein 10-31-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 (Post 8146105)
if you check out ae web site it said MOST of the suspension parts are still from the TC5.
I personaly race with a guy who has a tc6 and is sponsored by ae. he breaks his car maybe 3 times a day because he taps the wall ever so slightly. It is a faster car then the tc5 but the parts that break have not changed too much.

Really?
Who do you race with?

R3VoLuTiOn 10-31-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sidel (Post 8146181)
Nobody really knows what type of car is really Associateted TC6 because it isn't still available.Anyway in general Associated are cars very easy to drive instead X ray are a little nervous so in your case i will take AE.

Sounds like someone is a little biased towards AE.

The XRAYs at my track are the majority and that's why I got one-driver support is the most important.

falcon_az 10-31-2010 12:49 PM

What is going to cost with 'competitive' equipment to get either of these cars on the track? I'd like to get into touring.

timmig 10-31-2010 12:56 PM

I'd also look at the Top "Photon" as it comes with a spool in the front--diff in the back--and spare arms / nut's / bolts and bearings!! It's easy to setup and parts are NOT as expensive as the Xray. It's great for 21.5 --and I"ll bet it will be a while before your ready to switch to 13.5!! Great handling car and can be had for LESS than $400.
FWIW
Tim

timmig 10-31-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein (Post 8146307)
Really?
Who do you race with?

Yeah--that's BS--the TC6 I've seen at WCRC run by one of the Assoc drivers has been bulletproof. I haven't seen him NOT finish a heat or main. And it's been really fast in the stock class--17.5 boosted esc.
FWIW
TIm

Sidel 10-31-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn (Post 8146636)

The XRAYs at my track are the majority and that's why I got one-driver support is the most important.

I have had many models of AE (TC3,TC4 for example) and I also have had X Ray(T2 007/T2 008) and I only think that Associated cars (in general on raod and off road) are very "user friendly" so for a driver that starts with a new class I suggest the TC6. Moreover I think (but I'm not sure because I'm italian) that in USA or Canada spare parts of a TC6 costs less than that of a X Ray.

I agree with you about the support.X Ray in every part of the world have an excellent support.

Sidel 10-31-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn (Post 8146636)

I have had many AE's cars (TC3,TC4 for example) and I have had also X Ray (T2 007/008) and I think that in general (on road and off road) Associated models are more "user friendly" so for a person that starts with electric touring car class i suggest to take the TC6.Moreover this car have a competitive price.

I agree with you about the support;if in your local track there are many X Ray drivers they can help you if you choose to take a T3 2011.

Edwin Pibal 10-31-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 (Post 8146105)

if he breaks is car that often, then clearly he isnt a good enough driver to be sponsored.

darrenoakley 10-31-2010 02:40 PM

I was having the same choice recently between the two chassis. I run the Photon at the moment and am well happy with it but just fancy a change. I have ended up going for the Xray purely as i like the look of it more.

IMO they are all great cars its more down to, choose the colour you like, and it also helps if parts and support are local too.

Interestingly the Xray is the cheaper of the two in the UK but that wasn't why I went for it.

I agree with above though the Photon is a great car in my experiences with it.

TAorama 10-31-2010 03:02 PM

In most cases, the fastest car will be the cleanest driver with the best TUNED car for the track, regardless of brand. I'm skeptical that any current-generation pro-level TC offers a significant advantage over another.

Sidel 11-01-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by TAorama (Post 8147270)
In most cases, the fastest car will be the cleanest driver with the best TUNED car for the track, regardless of brand. I'm skeptical that any current-generation pro-level TC offers a significant advantage over another.

I totally agree with you.Probably the best choice is to buy a car that is very popular in our local track in order to have a good support from the others drivers.

wcalaker 11-01-2010 10:14 AM

I have had a TC5 for over two years now. Ive only managed to break one part and that was my fault. I race almost every weekend, went to IIC-2009. The car has been bulletproof and i have been in a number of wrecks.

Personally i like Associated's availability of parts. I think Xray is the better car but lack of parts locally, price of some parts like roll bars, and their shocks lean me towards Associated.

R3VoLuTiOn 11-01-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by wcalaker (Post 8150983)
I have had a TC5 for over two years now. Ive only managed to break one part and that was my fault. I race almost every weekend, went to IIC-2009. The car has been bulletproof and i have been in a number of wrecks.

Personally i like Associated's availability of parts. I think Xray is the better car but lack of parts locally, price of some parts like roll bars, and their shocks lean me towards Associated.

While the tc5 was a car I had considered, it never took the beating that I saw XRAYs drive away from. I'm talking full speed air launches into walls, of course. I'm not a fan of XRAY price but so far, it's paid off.

wtcc 11-01-2010 02:11 PM

Without wanting to heat up the discussion, I just want to tell my experience from todays driving:
I met with a guy from a german forum today. He drives the new T3'2011. The car looks very good and was fast right from the start, but before I had finished my first LiPo, he had two broken parts after two times hitting the wall. And I am not talking about "monster crashes".
So nobody should tell this or that car is weak or breaks faster or more often!

I would suggest: Take a car of the brand you like/most of your friends drive/with the best spare part supply.

TRESFR 11-01-2010 02:47 PM

Deciding Factor

Xray will win the durability test every time. Both cars will perform in the right hands but the Xray will be more forgiving for intermediate and novice drivers.

The TC6 will not be shipping until early December so that may be the deciding factor for some. Realistically most will not get them until 2011

Sidel 11-02-2010 08:17 AM

I don't think that X Ray is more resistant than Associated.

In conclusion I think that the best suggest is that of Wtcc:choose what YOU prefer;T3 and TC6 are good cars,if you prefer blue choose the american,if you prefer the orange choose the European:D

STLNLST 11-02-2010 08:40 AM

Funny have all these comments comparing the two keep popping up yet no one has driven a TC6 yet. Amazing:weird:

JayL 11-02-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 8155426)
Funny have all these comments comparing the two keep popping up yet no one has driven a TC6 yet. Amazing:weird:

I raced against one with my xray but neither of us broke and the tc6 won :)

R3VoLuTiOn 11-02-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 8155684)

So you're saying a factory driver beat you? NO WAY!

timmig 11-02-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by timmig (Post 8146831)
Yeah--that's BS--the TC6 I've seen at WCRC run by one of the Assoc drivers has been bulletproof. I haven't seen him NOT finish a heat or main. And it's been really fast in the stock class--17.5 boosted esc.
FWIW
TIm

Bob Stellflue---one of Associated's team drivers and designers. I can't ever remember his car breaking -- and he's been one of the most dominant 17.5 w/ timing cars in the last 3 or 4 months of racing at WCRC. THe car has proven fast and reliable.

Xray makes an excellent product---it 's just going to cost you %25 or MORE than most other cars to purchase and maintain. Call it a Mercedes vs Chevy!!
The Chevies still win races!!
FWIW
T

STLNLST 11-02-2010 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 8155684)

I was at that same race.....LOL I was gonna run some laps with it after the event but the Slash race was right after :(

"MrQuiick" 11-02-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by timmig (Post 8146831)
FWIW
TIm

I haven't yet raced at WCRC, but I've watched several of the races that are going on Tuesday night. Everytime I've been in attendace (5+ times), that very same AE driver that your are talking about won the 17.5 boosted ESC race. I just got an xray T3 and T2 009 becasue of driver support and I grabbed them dirt cheap of a xray pro that was gettingt he new t3 2011. I'm coming from gas (MTX4r), and I set up the 009 for the 21.5 super GT. I'm running the Novak Ballistic with a FDR around 2.92 (55P & 88S), does that sound about right?

"MrQuiick" 11-02-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TAorama (Post 8147270)

I agree that the car are almost identical in handling. I think that when considering which car to get one should consider the cost of setting up the car first and the support for the car at the LHS second, third and just as important as the first two drivers with the car at the home track. The drivers that have the car will be able to offer insite regarding problems that will come up with the new car.

jake95 11-02-2010 01:14 PM

:tire::tire:xray:tire::tire:

Josh Hohnstein 11-02-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 8155426)

Just last week Paul and I went for a little test and tune session.
I had him try my TC-6 and he had me try his T-3-11.

I can tell you this: I without a doubt preferred my car over his. I'm sure Paul would prefer his car over mine.

Bottom line is both cars were very close in performance.

I would look at a few things: price, parts support and customer service.

Get the car that suites you best and HAVE FUN!!!!

revo523 11-02-2010 07:15 PM

Xray!!!!

lookieaefanboi 11-02-2010 08:21 PM

Yeah I have gone for a 2010 xray t3. Felt it was better getting my feet wet with a 2nd hand car before going all in :eek:

kowkl 11-02-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein (Post 8156891)

Hi Josh,

I would like to know if a tub chasis have different handling characteristic from a pro kit (no any brand in particular). I'm presently driving a TA05 and considering a pro kit. I'm concern about the learning curve between both cars. I'm a rookie in rc.

Tks.

Potoczak 11-03-2010 03:48 AM

Another vote for <<<<<XRAY>>>>>>>

Cocoon 11-03-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein (Post 8156891)
Just last week Paul and I went for a little test and tune session.
I had him try my TC-6 and he had me try his T-3-11.

I can tell you this: I without a doubt preferred my car over his. I'm sure Paul would prefer his car over mine.

As you're a team driver maybe you'll know.

Whats the big hold up at associated with this car? Did they forget to print the word optimized after everything new on the car in the manual :lol: