Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec Foams for Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Very interesting... Sounds like our asphalt track where we spray Mt. Dew. If it rains or sprinkle's and you try running on it before its completely dry your tires get coated in a sugar glaze.

Who would have thought getting traction on carpet would be so hard...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Well, I tried foams tonight and it sucked. They glazed over after about 5 laps and the car wasn't drivable after that. Pretty much the same issue I have with rubber, though much worse on the foams. I don't know what that means.

We fought through the glaze tonight and managed to get some decent practice in.

Maybe it's time for an SC10.
I think its Karama... Must I bring up the great Crutch quote of 2008?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Was down at Timezone practicing last Thursday and we tossed on a spent set of foams from our good old days of running mod foam. Car was DIALED! Even with a spool up front.
Maybe a spec, harder, longer-wearing foam tire would be a good change of pace for some of them.
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Sometimes just for fun I throw on a set of nitro foam tires I have from I have no idea where after I spray just to get a little more weight and surface area working the foam in. I have run the same set a bazillion times and they hardly seem to wear.
New to electric I hit the track on a day when it got hotter than the rubber I had, but what I did have was nitro foams sitting in the pit bag, a quick change later and I was on rails, most fun I have had with my pants on in at least a week...

Our outdoor tarmac track can't use traction compounds, but with the run on basically old used foams, I was left wondering why not, apart from everything else I was getting .2mm wear per run, and the foams I was using cost like a third what rubbers are, grip was so high I'm guessing 45's would have still worked, with no issues to do with temp either.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Well, I tried foams tonight and it sucked. They glazed over after about 5 laps and the car wasn't drivable after that. Pretty much the same issue I have with rubber, though much worse on the foams. I don't know what that means.

We fought through the glaze tonight and managed to get some decent practice in.

Maybe it's time for an SC10.
It certainly was fun to watch you scrub those foams until your arm fell off...Thats what you get for going to the dark side.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The crap on your tires means that your rug is dirty. Vacuum the rug till it's clean, change the bags/filters, and do it again. We have the same problem if we don't vacuum the rug often. We have a dirt track in the same facility.

Filters and filter bags clog up with dust long before the bags are full. To really get the fine particles and dirt out of the rug, you need to change them quite a bit. This is why I only buy the generic/cheap bags for the rug.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

BSR had the spec foams too....red stripe. I saw several pair on the wall at Tri State last time I was there.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have to say this thread has me seriously wondering if we want to make the switch to rubber. We have run foam for 4 years and have had no issue with this. The newer style of foams are pretty nice with the lower side walls.

Ill have to post this thread on our track to have some of the racers read this. Thanks Aaron