R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Xray T3 2011 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/435215-xray-t3-2011-a.html)

RCknight 09-19-2010 09:48 PM

That's good to read, sounds like they have changed.

Two years ago from what saw and heard back at the ROAR nationals in Omaha, NE that was not the case. Xray team sat in their corner and appeared the most unapproachable and to themselves. Many said they didn't want to be bothered. Where as Corally, S.M. were helping people. That's good they changed that perception.

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 7961177)
I've been running a Tamiya for 3 years now, and while I love the car, that's about it. Tamiya does almost nothing to support the US market, Tamiya USA doesn't have a team or seem to give a crap about on-road, and parts support still sucks. I found myself envious at IIC when I looked around and saw all the outstanding team support from XRay, HB, TOP, and AE. Who gives a crap about plastic shocks or some other meaningless gripe. XRay always sends drivers to the US races, and supports racing in our country. Companies like that deserve our respect.

The other thing I learned is that I could have been driving a 418 instead of a 416, and it wouldn't have made any difference. I had a great car all week, I just couldn't stop hitting the far side of the track. These cars are almost always better than we are. Buying new stuff is a lot of fun, but don't be delusional about what it'll mean on the track.

skypilot 09-19-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RCknight (Post 7961098)
I agree Owen, I'm into marketing, and have a good feel for how people think. .

Originally Posted by RCknight (Post 7961236)
Two years ago from what saw and heard back at the ROAR nationals in Omaha, NE that was not the case. Xray team sat in their corner and appeared the most unapproachable and to themselves. Many said they didn't want to be bothered. Where as Corally, S.M. were helping people. That's good they changed that perception.

hey, way to keep that finger on the pluse of whats going on.:lol::lol:

sorry couldn't help it. flame on:D

ottoman 09-19-2010 10:47 PM

Man thats so hard to believe! In all the years we have raced I never had any issues with the Xray guys... they were always there to help with setups or parts.. what ever you needed. Just because they were sitting in "their corner" doesnt mean anything... were are they supposed to sit except in their pits?... did you go up and talk to them or were you expecting them to come ask if you needed anything?
Paul Lemieux is the easiest to approach and most helpful pro racer I have ever seen.. period!

RCknight 09-19-2010 11:11 PM

Yeah that didn't come from me, I never talked to them.

Originally Posted by ottoman (Post 7961376)
Man thats so hard to believe! In all the years we have raced I never had any issues with the Xray guys... they were always there to help with setups or parts.. what ever you needed. Just because they were sitting in "their corner" doesnt mean anything... were are they supposed to sit except in their pits?... did you go up and talk to them or were you expecting them to come ask if you needed anything?
Paul Lemieux is the easiest to approach and most helpful pro racer I have ever seen.. period!

I had nothing to ask them as I was just a spectator. Wanted to talk to Barry Baker as I'm a fan, but I didn't want to bother him. lol That's just what I heard was all glad I'm wrong. :)

Yokomo_Ant3 09-20-2010 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by lochness42 (Post 7958298)
As I said before, narrow lipo only chassis, new top deck and dual bellcrank system.
Other than that I haven't seen anything different on cars of Martin and Juraj Hudy yesterday at nationals. True is that their cars did differ - slightly different positions of dual bellcrank systems and shape of top deck. But rest seemed to be the same. Maybe some small length difference here and there, but that's hard to spot by eye.

Which position was the servo in?:p

HenBeav 09-20-2010 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 (Post 7961625)

and the camber links?

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 7961177)
I've been running a Tamiya for 3 years now, and while I love the car, that's about it. Tamiya does almost nothing to support the US market, Tamiya USA doesn't have a team or seem to give a crap about on-road, and parts support still sucks. I found myself envious at IIC when I looked around and saw all the outstanding team support from XRay, HB, TOP, and AE. Who gives a crap about plastic shocks or some other meaningless gripe. XRay always sends drivers to the US races, and supports racing in our country. Companies like that deserve our respect.

The other thing I learned is that I could have been driving a 418 instead of a 416, and it wouldn't have made any difference. I had a great car all week, I just couldn't stop hitting the far side of the track. These cars are almost always better than we are. Buying new stuff is a lot of fun, but don't be delusional about what it'll mean on the track.

Adam you know how to change that.:sneaky: But really great job this year at the IIC. I remember your first year at the race. What ever you are doing keep it up. Its payed off for you.. Good job.

Thanks Drew

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 (Post 7961625)

My servo was the same as the T3. But that does not mean thats how they will keep it.

Thanks Drew

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 06:42 AM

RCknight, I was at that race pitting right next to Ralph and I remember things alot different then what you said. We helped out alot of people that week, hell I even rebuilt someone's whole car there. And we were not in the corner we were pitted right on the end. RCAmerica's goal like always since the company started was to help the customer always. That is what the company has been built off of.Maybe you should of came up and said hello. I think you would of had a different out come.

The changes Xray is making are not minor. The chassis and steering system are big changes in how the car handles. "the flex and ackerman". And I feel that we have alot of option parts out for the car. I will say something to them about the shocks, but its hard because we are not having any problems with them.

Sometime today I will go on the T3 thread and post how I build my shocks. It is really pretty simple.

Thanks Drew

*gk* 09-20-2010 07:20 AM

syndr0me 09-20-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7962228)
Adam you know how to change that.:sneaky: But really great job this year at the IIC. I remember your first year at the race. What ever you are doing keep it up. Its payed off for you.. Good job.

Thanks Drew. Practice and really understanding my equipment is what I've focused on. It's just a slow, boring road sometimes.

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 7962468)
Thanks Drew. Practice and really understanding my equipment is what I've focused on. It's just a slow, boring road sometimes.

Thats what it takes. Practice, practice, practice and when your sick of it you practice more. Its great to see guys that take that approch and take the time to learn and understand there equipment.

Thanks Drew

Yokomo_Ant3 09-20-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7962233)
My servo was the same as the T3. But that does not mean thats how they will keep it.

Thanks Drew

If they go the dual Bellcrank steering i sure hope they do chage the servo position:nod:

With the shocks some nicer Aluminium shocks would be nice. It took me a while but eventually i worked out the plastic shocks and how to build them. But they are still a pain compared to other brands shocks. The Xray Aluminium ones that are currently available i will never use again, i dont like the design at all and i could never get them right on my car.

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 (Post 7962755)
If they go the dual Bellcrank steering i sure hope they do chage the servo position:nod:

With the shocks some nicer Aluminium shocks would be nice. It took me a while but eventually i worked out the plastic shocks and how to build them. But they are still a pain compared to other brands shocks. The Xray Aluminium ones that are currently available i will never use again, i dont like the design at all and i could never get them right on my car.

I will let them know. Not sure how they are going to do it.

Thanks Drew

JayL 09-20-2010 09:42 AM

Drew: the shocks CAN be built perfect with time and a team driver but anyone can build a perfect tamiya shock quickly. that is the difference and what we want. Thank you for listening it helps :)

al dente 09-20-2010 09:52 AM

that is a load of crap. i met drew and the boys at that race, and ralph rebuilt my entire car. shocks, diff, settings, etc. i have always been an xray guy based on the quality of the products, but that race, and the way i was treated made me like them even more.

drew, ralph and the boys will always bend over (lol) backwards for you, no matter where they are.......just dont ask to use paulie's chap stick.:nod:

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 7962940)
that is a load of crap. i met drew and the boys at that race, and ralph rebuilt my entire car. shocks, diff, settings, etc. i have always been an xray guy based on the quality of the products, but that race, and the way i was treated made me like them even more.

drew, ralph and the boys will always bend over (lol) backwards for you, no matter where they are.......just dont ask to use paulie's chap stick.:nod:

Thanks Mario, thats funny..:):lol::sneaky::lol:

Drew Ellis 09-20-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 7962910)
Drew: the shocks CAN be built perfect with time and a team driver but anyone can build a perfect tamiya shock quickly. that is the difference and what we want. Thank you for listening it helps :)

Jay, thanks. What we will probley do is a "build your shocks video" with Paul or me. I feel when you see how we do it. You will see that it is not that hard to get right. I will email Mario on all this and see if there is something we can do. Maybe just an upgrade alum. shock.

Thanks Drew

Owen RaCing 09-20-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7963364)
Jay, thanks. What we will probley do is a "build your shocks video" with Paul or me. I feel when you see how we do it. You will see that it is not that hard to get right. I will email Mario on all this and see if there is something we can do. Maybe just an upgrade alum. shock.

Thanks Drew

Good to see that you are trying to make it better for the people that don't like the shocks. :):cool:

BlackedOutREVO 09-20-2010 01:16 PM

Im with most of the people I love my T3 aside from the plastic shocks, I built them and got them good once lol. I just gave up and got tamiya shocks you can build those blind folded behind your back and get them perfect every time. And they dont leak :D

bjs227 09-20-2010 01:47 PM

I have to say i have never seen this with team XRAY. They have always helped the people that show up with the rcamerica products!

bjs227 09-20-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7963364)

Thanks Drew

Hey Drew if you guys need help with this i can do that! Easy Easy!

Customworksking 09-20-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7962512)
Thats what it takes. Practice, practice, practice and when your sick of it you practice more. Its great to see guys that take that approch and take the time to learn and understand there equipment.

Thanks Drew

What Up Drew ella?

RCknight 09-20-2010 03:23 PM

No that's cool Drew.

I was was there only for a few hours, so I never saw what the team was doing. That's great to know the team helps people out. Thanks for passing on the info on the shocks that helps. :)

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis (Post 7962272)
RCknight, I was at that race pitting right next to Ralph and I remember things alot different then what you said. We helped out alot of people that week, hell I even rebuilt someone's whole car there. And we were not in the corner we were pitted right on the end. RCAmerica's goal like always since the company started was to help the customer always. That is what the company has been built off of.Maybe you should of came up and said hello. I think you would of had a different out come.

The changes Xray is making are not minor. The chassis and steering system are big changes in how the car handles. "the flex and ackerman". And I feel that we have alot of option parts out for the car. I will say something to them about the shocks, but its hard because we are not having any problems with them.

Sometime today I will go on the T3 thread and post how I build my shocks. It is really pretty simple.

Thanks Drew

Magnet Top 09-20-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bjs227 (Post 7963870)
I have to say i have never seen this with team XRAY. They have always helped the people that show up with the rcamerica products!

Paul Lemieux helped me with my xray every time I've asked for help. Most recently at the onroad paved Nats he helped me with my 416 !

Magnet Top 09-20-2010 04:00 PM

Dual post quick Ackermanan adjustment ?

Hi Drew,

Question about the dual post steering rack you tested. Does it have the same "quick" ackerman adjustment system as the 008 thru T3 ?
Also, will it be possible, as an option, to use the standard single post system ( via different top deck and or adaptors , etc ).

I know, time will tell, just curious ....

Johnny Wishbone 09-20-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magnet Top (Post 7964401)
Hi Drew,

Question about the dual post steering rack you tested. Does it have the same "quick" ackerman adjustment system as the 008 thru T3 ?
Also, will it be possible, as an option, to use the standard single post system ( via different top deck and or adaptors , etc ).

Not Drew but from what I saw and asked the same questions the answer is sadly, no about a quick adjust. At least the cars they had at the IIC did not have that option.

RCknight 09-20-2010 05:16 PM

Why do people want their servo haning off the chassis?

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone (Post 7964471)
Not Drew but from what I saw and asked the same questions the answer is sadly, no about a quick adjust. At least the cars they had at the IIC did not have that option.

I like how Xray mounts it now. Speedos are only going to get smaller in time. I have a ton of room even with my GTX. :confused:

RCknight 09-20-2010 07:54 PM

Oh that's a bummer....

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone (Post 7964471)

Seems it could be done though, with each post separate. Man when is Xray going to post something.

dodgeguy 09-20-2010 08:11 PM

First off the Xray team was pitted in front of the middle of the straight. They basically were in the middle of the building.

I have to totally disagree about the Xray team being unapproachable at that race since I was there.Awesome event by the way. I ran a JRX-S type-R at that race (No Losi support at all) Drew helped me with gearing and tire size. Ralph was cool to talk to also. Barry was a laugh and a half.

I think sometimes we perceive things in different ways and in our minds we have the idea that they are unapproachable. I felt the AE guys were not as approachable but that was my perception.

I can't wait to get past my daughters ensuing heart transplant and back to some type of normal life to race onroad again. Good luck guys.

RCknight 09-20-2010 11:19 PM

Guys chill...

This didn't come from me, apparently the guy I talked too about the teams was wrong. I didn't see anything bad apparently it's not an issue.

grippgoat 09-21-2010 12:53 AM

Two years ago from what saw and heard back at the ROAR nationals in Omaha, NE ....

Beating a dead horse, but that sure looks like you said you saw it yourself.

-Mike

Fred Hubbard 09-21-2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy (Post 7965617)
First off the Xray team was pitted in front of the middle of the straight. They basically were in the middle of the building.

I have to totally disagree about the Xray team being unapproachable at that race since I was there.Awesome event by the way. I ran a JRX-S type-R at that race (No Losi support at all) Drew helped me with gearing and tire size. Ralph was cool to talk to also. Barry was a laugh and a half.

I think sometimes we perceive things in different ways and in our minds we have the idea that they are unapproachable. I felt the AE guys were not as approachable but that was my perception.

I can't wait to get past my daughters ensuing heart transplant and back to some type of normal life to race onroad again. Good luck guys.

I've always been an organ donor and I pray all goes well with your daughter.

slashman4x4 09-21-2010 01:44 AM

Thanks for the clarification..

But more importantly Ill be praying for your daughters well being, Thank heavens for donors!!

RCknight 09-21-2010 04:30 AM

I hope she's better soon...

and my prayers go out for her and your family.

Drew Ellis 09-21-2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Magnet Top (Post 7964401)
Hi Drew,

I think it would be hard to have a quick adjustment on the duel post. There would be to much going on, but it sure would be cool. Not sure if they will have the option of the single post. We did not have it on the one chassis but the other chassis it did. But remember these just were for test.

The steering system was pretty easy to maintain and setup, but its not as quick to adjust as are old one. But I am sue they will have something cool.

Thanks Drew

Drew Ellis 09-21-2010 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Customworksking (Post 7964122)
What Up Drew ella?

What up Kevin, how has things been.

Thanks Drew

Drew Ellis 09-21-2010 06:27 AM

Thanks Kevin. My prays are with you and your family.

Also you pitted with us with that JRX-S. Remember the only guy at the table without a Xray..:lol::nod:

bigdadracing 09-21-2010 12:41 PM

hey Drew do you know if theres going to be a update pack for the current t3 cars to up date them??

Drew Ellis 09-21-2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigdadracing (Post 7968350)
hey Drew do you know if theres going to be a update pack for the current t3 cars to up date them??

Not sure, I would think so. But it seems that the price on the upgrade kit from years past. Spend a little bit more you can get a whole new kit. The best bang for your buck.

Thanks Drew