Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
Anyone know if the Spec R 37T gear diff fits the 417? I heard the bulkheads are closer together on the 417 compared to 416.
Yeah fits perfect..
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GeorgePravata
what the best body to run on the TRF 417 out doors.

Thanks
The two best ones are:

PF Mazda Speed 6 or PF LTC-R for abit more steering

Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Thank you
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdempsey
Yeah fits perfect..
Cheers thanks its good to know that not a lot of new parts will be needed if you already have a 416X
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tested much with the Gear Diff? back to back with the ball? Got my car fairly well set up on my local track (tight technical low, to med grip asphalt, outdoor). I've ordered a Spec R diff, along with some 1000w oil, apart from the lower maintenance, which I'm not overly worried about, any advantages? running Mod/Open. Will have it before my next race meet, but I'm not able to test before hand, just wondering if its worth the punt to just put it in.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack2
Has anyone tested much with the Gear Diff? back to back with the ball? Got my car fairly well set up on my local track (tight technical low, to med grip asphalt, outdoor). I've ordered a Spec R diff, along with some 1000w oil, apart from the lower maintenance, which I'm not overly worried about, any advantages? running Mod/Open. Will have it before my next race meet, but I'm not able to test before hand, just wondering if its worth the punt to just put it in.

Cheers
Just run it I prefer the feel with the gear diff now, much better response on throttle, certainly with open mod. 1000wt seems about right. I do want to try thicker oil in my next test session though.
For lower powered classes, I'd look at thicker oil though, help to get teh car to rotate on power better.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
Just run it I prefer the feel with the gear diff now, much better response on throttle, certainly with open mod. 1000wt seems about right. I do want to try thicker oil in my next test session though.
For lower powered classes, I'd look at thicker oil though, help to get teh car to rotate on power better.

HiH
Ed
Okay cool. I'll give it a shot. Atleast swapping the rear out is no biggie, 5 minute job in the mighty 417! so if i dont like it, easy to swap out between heats

Cheers
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jack2
Okay cool. I'll give it a shot. Atleast swapping the rear out is no biggie, 5 minute job in the mighty 417! so if i dont like it, easy to swap out between heats

Cheers
I had a drive of a 417 with a gear diff fitted in the front and thought it was great. (Rubber on asphalt)
Id say try it in the front (thick oil) and the back (thin oil) and see what you think.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Got some TRF417 Aluminum Diff Joint Sets in
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dual gear diffs seems like the future.

My long arms should be here early next week. I'm looking forward to branching out in other directions with setup to see what I find.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Mmmm Might give it a try. I will say tho, they are very different, but I've run 2 diffs in my 1/10th tourer, back to back with a diff/spool, and the spool always seems to be a bit quicker, with a fair bit more on-power steering.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Hello everyone
I bought a TRF417 yesterday ( wooo =D ) and finished it about 5 hours ago, installed the electrics and stuffs and its ready to go
As i previously had a Hotbodies cyclone, I dont have much experience on setting up the TRF ...
I was wondering if someone could post a setup sheet for a medium carpet track please ?
It would be much appreciated, and also, I will be racing it next sunday so until then, il try to gather as much as information as possible.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hello everyone
I bought a TRF417 yesterday ( wooo =D ) and finished it about 5 hours ago, installed the electrics and stuffs and its ready to go
As i previously had a Hotbodies cyclone, I dont have much experience on setting up the TRF ...
I was wondering if someone could post a setup sheet for a medium carpet track please ?
It would be much appreciated, and also, I will be racing it next sunday so until then, il try to gather as much as information as possible.
Thanks in advance
Do the following;

Build as kit, except
put the white (F) and blue (R) springs on the car.
Droop to 6/5 on a gauge (I think is about 2mm/3mm over ride height, dependent on tyre dia).
Fill the shocks with 450-500wt oil, remove the red foam from the top of the shock cap.
Put on the track and drive...

Seriously, that'll be a very good starting point on carpet. It's hard to suggest absolute settings, but that should give a good starting point for sure.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Do the following;

Build as kit, except
Droop to 6/5 on a gauge (I think is about 2mm/3mm over ride height, dependent on tyre dia).
Fill the shocks with 450-500wt oil, remove the red foam from the top of the shock cap.

Seriously, that'll be a very good starting point on carpet. It's hard to suggest absolute settings, but that should give a good starting point for sure.

HiH
Ed
That is the exact set up i am running on my car with gear diffs all around and the car is dialed very easy to drive, was very impressed especially with the front gear diff it was just amazing .
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Do the following;

Build as kit, except

HiH
Ed
Cheers for the reply, I will defenetly try that for sunday.
Another question, on the sterring crank, the dual thingy, when I tighten the 2 screws holding the rotating part, my steering will get stuck :-( so I have to unscrew them abit and its a litle lose, is this normal ?
Finally, is anyone using weights on the side of their lipo battery the balance ?
I remember on my cyclone, even with weights on the batt side, the car woupd stillean on t motor side, but on the 417, can I remover the weights ?
Thanks alot :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.