Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE! >

Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE!

Just thought I'd share a quick story that kind of bothered me. Yesterday a guy who pitted next to me at my local track almost fainted. He told me the smell of tire sauce in the air made him kind of nauseous and later on he turned all pale and had to go home. I overhead some guys saying that Paragon Ground Effects is pretty toxic and can make you sterile.

Our local track is indoors and have pretty bad ventillation. After a typical night of racing your clothes smell like Paragon.

Here is my concern and question:

Do any of you guys notice when entering your local indoor track, the strong smell of Paragon Ground Effects (or other tire sauce), only to get used to it after a while? I'm a bit worried that after a few years of exposure to this stuff, the damage may already be done and people will be diagnosed with health problems, maybe even cancer. I sure I'm just being paranoid, but I think the potential health impacts are real. What do you guys think of this?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Wow, that's pretty freaky. I ran the 'birds this year and the whole place smelled like Paragon. The smell doesn't really bother me that much so I was fine but I can see how different people would have different effects to it. I would probably suggest that you and the other guys ask that the track ban Paragon and go to something like the Niftech sauce that doesn't really smell that much.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

The carpet track I go to only allows Jack The Gripper (*caugh*Ozzy)and TQ Orange because they are odorless

Me and the guy I pitted with a few weeks ago were noting the smell of Paragon and his decleration of "Smells like @$$" was dead on.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I kinda like the smell of wintergreen oil, so it never bothered me. But the can has a warning on the side of it, so we can't say we weren't warned....

The stuff that does kill me is the Trinity stuff, ESPECIALLY buggy grip(we call it "fat kid spray", for the pic of Kinwald on it ), that stuff is rancid! If tire dope was ever gonna knock me out, it'd be that stuff.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I don't really care for the smell of Paragon Ground Effects either, though it never made me nauseous. But I have been to places(fortunately) that have banned the stuff, & in truth there are some better ones that do without the nastier ingredients, Like most of Racer's Choice's TQ line of additives(TQ Blue seems best for rubber TC tires, or at least noticably better than Paragon), & some of the other newer ones out there now. I don't really know if Paragon is quite s bad as those rumors indicate, but it never hurts to be on the safe side of things....
Old 06-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I dont think the oil of wintergreen is the blame. Paragon is mostly natural. I think the warning(I dont have the can in front of me) is only for ingestion and eyes not just inhalation.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

perfect recipe for a law suit...
Old 06-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally posted by 403forbidden
perfect recipe for a law suit...
I don't doubt that some scuzzball would try a suit, because hell, if a dumbass can dump coffee on themselves and win a suit, anything's possible. People need to fess up to their own stupidity and stop blaming someone else.

That guy that reacted bad to the tire dope did the right thing by getting away from the source of the problem. THAT is what a sensible person does.

"Doc, it hurts when I touch it..."

"Then don't touch it...."

There's many things I could have sued for, but I have respect for others, and I realize that I make mistakes. SOME THINGS ARE JUST YOUR FAULT. Some suits are justified, the majority are irresposibility at its best, or worst.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Phatkat
I don't doubt that some scuzzball would try a suit, because hell, if a dumbass can dump coffee on themselves and win a suit, anything's possible. People need to fess up to their own stupidity and stop blaming someone else.

That guy that reacted bad to the tire dope did the right thing by getting away from the source of the problem. THAT is what a sensible person does.

"That guy" may have already suffered physical injury.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

whats paragon
Old 06-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is a wintergreen smelling traction additive used on tires.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I have to agree paragon is nasty stuff
i dotn care what anyone says winter green is not the best thing to be inhaling
Old 06-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Suspended

re: law suit

Many minors attend these indoor races...often times unattended by their parents. The track surely knows this fact. These minors do not have the same level of reasoning skills as adults do (thats how the law views minors, so don't give me crap for saying that).

Any indoor facility better think twice unless they want numerous passedout kids on their property.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
for foam tires or rubber tires

also is the smell very strong kinda like smelling a sharpie or worse
Old 06-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Phatkat

"Doc, it hurts when I touch it..."

"Then don't touch it...."

There's many things I could have sued for, but I have respect for others, and I realize that I make mistakes. SOME THINGS ARE JUST YOUR FAULT. Some suits are justified, the majority are irresposibility at its best, or worst.
Phatty....Exactly what I think

Fat Kid Spray...LOL, that acutally made me laugh

Wintergreed!? WTF? I''m not even gonna go into what it smells like but I've smelled wintergreen and wooo, that crap don't even come close to Pine Fresh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.