Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JB-Orion tires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by maski
rcruv> are your temp range for orion tires accurate? i thought its like 24-40 of sorex and a-d for orion!

seaball> i agree that sorex tires are alot thinner compared to other brands though i haven't tried take-off yet. my friend said they have lesser grip compared to the sorex.

at the pre world's race, they were using orion B tires so definitely they will have problem with overheating since its hot their.
That temp rating is from Team Orion forum.
I think it should be correct.

http://www.team-orion.com/toptalk/sh...b=5&o=0&fpart=

I thought it's weird they used B at the pre world warm up, A or D should've been better according to temp rating.

I ordered A so I'll see how they would perform.

Anybody know where I can order Team Orion HB extra hard wheels?
Stormerhobbies only sells soft and hard ones.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

I tried Team orion A tires on hard wheels.
Echo soft inserts, 'cuz I already tried JB inserts.

Oh man, I don't like this tire at all. I might try them more but surface of tires become pretty coarse compared to sorex, pit shimizu tires which become sticky like gum.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

rcruv,
the only available orion tires at the moment in my lhs is the type B. it wont work here where its pretty hot (150 F). i'll wait if there is A or C compound.

question: i noticed after the part number of the tire, there is "27B" is 27 the type of compound like the sorex? is there other like 29B or somthing like that?
Old 04-23-2002, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

maski - number designation is working something like sorex.

Temperature rating.

#75001 27 B 0-45° C
#75002 32 C 10-55° C
#75000 35 A 20-65° C
#75003 40 D 40-75° C

I tried A, it's pretty tight fit with team orion wheels.
It felt like soft plastic rather than rubber but I'll try them more.
I don't like the hard wheels either.
They are softer than Yokomo ABS wheels which I like best for now.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

rcruv,
thanks for posting the compounds! i personally dont like how they label each type of compound, good thing they include it on every pack of tires.

i also use yoke dish wheels- white not yellow. yellow are softer and easier to break!
Old 04-24-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've tried the A compound with Yok ABS Dish and Yok Firm inserts. Worked pretty good on the local parking lot track. Wear was great! The wear and traction seemed to be comparable to the TakeOff CS27's my friend was using. Think this will be my tire choice for this track. I'm pretty impressed with them. I'll probably need the D compound though as it will get hotter soon. But I'll wait til next month to order some.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default WORLD"S

The spec tire for any large race isn't really retermined by the best tire...... you see orion wanted to get a really large boost for their tire so they payed more money to get their tires used as the spec tire. ......... And what better publicity than being able to say " official spec tire for the world championships".

Also "those poor professional racers" for thw mosy part they have the best of everything handed to them, so it's nice to know that at such an important race they get stuck with the same handling woes we average racers have to put up with on almost every raceday we attend. Also suppose most of the top pro racers make bad set-up decissions during the worlds, with spec tires this will allow an average "black dog" racer to have a chance at actually getting a worlds title under his/her belt. That is if Hara doesn't hack half of the competition like at the last worlds. Poor guy he won't have half ofthe best racers in the world blocking for him..... LOL

On a side note.... Who is buying the worlds this year??? I mean who went out and bought 3/4 of the competition to race for this one big race? Does YOK want it agian?? How about HPI?, they need this race to redeem themselves.

As always.......GO TEAM SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!