R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Stupid question of the week... Cyclone Vs TC2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/43002-stupid-question-week-cyclone-vs-tc2.html)

Kennedy 06-16-2004 08:25 PM

Stupid question of the week... Cyclone Vs TC2

Whats the difference between these two orange products?

Hi Guys, Still new to R/C but are these both of the same or is the Cyclone like a first generation superseeded by the Cyclone TC2?

Scott Fisher 06-16-2004 08:41 PM

The cyclone is the first generation for off-road. There was also a TC. That was the first generation Touring cyclone.

The second generation was the 2 series. Cyclone 2 for off-road and TC2 for on road.

Now it is just the GT7.

Kennedy 06-16-2004 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Scott Fisher
The cyclone is the first generation for off-road. There was also a TC. That was the first generation Touring cyclone.

The second generation was the 2 series. Cyclone 2 for off-road and TC2 for on road.

Now it is just the GT7.

So the Cyclone and C2 are only for off road?

Dougnuts55 06-16-2004 09:05 PM

No they i own a cyclone and they work great for touring cars. I use it with my tc3.

Doug

WC 06-16-2004 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Kennedy
So the Cyclone and C2 are only for off road?
If you believe the marketing boys then sure! and oh I've got a left-handed screwdriver that needs a new southpaw home. :p

Cyclone/cTC and C2/TC2 differ between 'TC' & normal versions only in the programming of their preset profile settings.

If you program your own into the user-programmable Profile #4 using a Novak Pit Wizard, you can set either up exactly how you want & they'll perform exactly the same.

SammyXp 07-15-2004 09:07 AM

I've been trying to determine what exactly is the difference between the Cyclone vs C2 and TC2 and there isn't much of a difference...
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/ES...cont_index.htm
Some settings (that can be reprogrammed, anyway). The C2 and TC2 are *slightly* lighter but that could be because the external shottky diode and capacitor aren't internal, as they are on the original Cyclone. The case is also marginally smaller.

All in all, the original Cyclone still seems to be a great buy. I'm looking to find one for cheap to replace my antique electronics.

Grizzbob 07-15-2004 12:10 PM

True, & by far, the biggest difference between the Cyclone/TC & C2/TC2 is the removal of the old style switch to a single button that I believe acts as both the on/off switch & the one-touch setup/throttle program button....:cool:

cartmen34 07-15-2004 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Grizzbob
True, & by far, the biggest difference between the Cyclone/TC & C2/TC2 is the removal of the old style switch to a single button that I believe acts as both the on/off switch & the one-touch setup/throttle program button....:cool:
If you have a choice between a TC or a TC2, GET THE TC! The single button for on and off is difficult to work.

This is the problem I constantly had with my TC2: after my run I would try to shut the car off. You have to hold the button down for a brief period, then release it to shut it off. the problem is that sometimes it won't shut off. So I held the button down just a hair longer.... but this sends the esc into setup mode! I wound up having to reset my throttle trims several times a raceday. I finally got so sick of it that I took the thing out of my cars, and now I only use it as a last resort backup unit.

SammyXp 07-15-2004 02:33 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the switch! I questioned the sanity of forcing you to stick your hands underneat the body, fiddling around for the on/off button in a car that just finished a long main with a hot motor!

Grizzbob 07-15-2004 05:19 PM

Yeah, I never bothered with the C2/TC2, I just kept using my original CycloneTC's until I finally got out of debt & had the cash to get a GT7, & I imagine that's why Novak stopped using the all-in-one button when the GT7 came out. But at least it was an interesting experiment(you can't say they aren't trying to innovate)....:cool: