R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Sprec-R Universal Swing Shafts for 416 WE (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/426325-sprec-r-universal-swing-shafts-416-we.html)

Turillo 08-16-2010 04:28 PM

Sprec-R Universal Swing Shafts for 416 WE

I'm wondering if anyone has installed and tested a set of Spec-R universals for the Tamiya 416, or their 44mm Spring Steel swing shafts?

Are they worth the purchase? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Owen RaCing 08-16-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turillo (Post 7814222)
I'm wondering if anyone has installed and tested a set of Spec-R universals for the Tamiya 416, or their 44mm Spring Steel swing shafts?

Are they worth the purchase? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

I have heard they do not work very well.

JayL 08-16-2010 04:48 PM

it's like putting Chevy parts on a Ferrari....

Hebiki 08-16-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 7814340)
it's like putting Chevy parts on a Ferrari....

wow... that bad huh? :cry:

Fabricio 08-16-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hebiki (Post 7814381)
wow... that bad huh? :cry:

If you look at the video on their website they put the car working with the original one and with the spec r trying to show the difference but if you look carefully there is no difference, so keep the original...

Turillo 08-16-2010 05:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprises of the feedback so far. I remember universals made a huge difference with my nitro on road car. I might buy a set of each and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any first hand experience?

Ciao!!

JayL 08-17-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Turillo (Post 7814639)
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprises of the feedback so far. I remember universals made a huge difference with my nitro on road car. I might buy a set of each and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any first hand experience?

Ciao!!

universals ARE a big difference over dogbones

BUT the 416 comes WITH universals

so you are comparing a tamiya part, 3 times world champ,to the same part made by spec-r

dameetz 08-17-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 7818322)
so you are comparing a tamiya part, 3 times world champ,to the same part made by spec-r

Its 4 times world champion actually.:nod::nod::D

Turillo 08-17-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 7818322)
universals ARE a big difference over dogbones

BUT the 416 comes WITH universals

True words!

Thanks for the replies.

John.C 08-17-2010 11:11 AM

I have installed and tested the Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (SPR001-TMY) on my 416x. I can say with certainty that the chatter at full wheel lock is eliminated using this part (approximately 95% reduction in chatter). This chatter is very noticeable at full wheel lock when using the Tamiya stock spool and the stock universals. I can also state with some confidence the durability of this item. I had an accident which resulted in a broken hub carrier, knuckle, and the spool cup with no ill effect to the universals. Time will tell on the the durability of this item.

Unfortunately, I do not know if the reduction in chatter equates to faster and consistent lap times. My driving skills (lack thereof) prevent me from running consistent consecutive laps within a tenth of a second to accurately perform a real world test. I would be doing you a disservice if I said it 'felt' better without providing any numbers to back up this claim.

I believe the World Champ was using a Spec-R gear diff in his Tamiya 416x. It appears some option items from Spec-R is up to snuff.

-John

Turillo 08-17-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by double_green (Post 7818567)
I have installed and tested the Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (SPR001-TMY) on my 416x. I can say with certainty that the chatter at full wheel lock is eliminated using this part (approximately 95% reduction in chatter). This chatter is very noticeable at full wheel lock when using the Tamiya stock spool and the stock universals. I can also state with some confidence the durability of this item. I had an accident which resulted in a broken hub carrier, knuckle, and the spool cup with no ill effect to the universals. Time will tell on the the durability of this item.

Unfortunately, I do not know if the reduction in chatter equates to faster and consistent lap times. My driving skills (lack thereof) prevent me from running consistent consecutive laps within a tenth of a second to accurately perform a real world test. I would be doing you a disservice if I said it 'felt' better without providing any numbers to back up this claim.

I believe the World Champ was using a Spec-R gear diff in his Tamiya 416x. It appears some option items from Spec-R is up to snuff.

-John

John,

Thank you very much for the reply. I ordered a set of the universals and the gear diff. I'm going to test one at a time. First with the universals and then with the gear diff.

Thanks again.

John.C 08-17-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turillo (Post 7818806)
John,

Thank you very much for the reply. I ordered a set of the universals and the gear diff. I'm going to test one at a time. First with the universals and then with the gear diff.

Thanks again.

I also installed the Spec-R gear diff on my car. I built it using the Associated 80 oil and it has been working very well. The diff action has been very smooth with no visible signs of leaking after a full practice day and a race event.

FYI.. 3Racing has also released a gear diff that will also work on the 416. I'm placing an order for it now and look forward to comparing the quality and performance of the 2 diffs.

-John

Turillo 08-17-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by double_green (Post 7818923)
I also installed the Spec-R gear diff on my car. I built it using the Associated 80 oil and it has been working very well. The diff action has been very smooth with no visible signs of leaking after a full practice day and a race event.

FYI.. 3Racing has also released a gear diff that will also work on the 416. I'm placing an order for it now and look forward to comparing the quality and performance of the 2 diffs.

-John

Awesome! Please be sure to share the results.

P.S. Did you use any special shims, or shim tips for building the DIFF?

Ciao

old-man 08-17-2010 05:18 PM

Mine broke on the second pack on the track. Running 11.5T turbo. It broke on 2 places. One on the 2mm pin on the spool end, the other was the pin(1mm maybe???) on the universal, the cross joint broke too.

So far not seeing anywhere that has these replacement parts.

But while it lasted, it was good. Car really flowed through the corners especially on tight turns.

Its a pity its not that reliable.

Turillo 08-17-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by old-man (Post 7819974)
Mine broke on the second pack on the track. Running 11.5T turbo. It broke on 2 places. One on the 2mm pin on the spool end, the other was the pin(1mm maybe???) on the universal, the cross joint broke too.

So far not seeing anywhere that has these replacement parts.

But while it lasted, it was good. Car really flowed through the corners especially on tight turns.

Its a pity its not that reliable.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope they last more than two packs. I plan to run them with a 13.5. Should have them soon and look forward to testing.

Cheers