R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Sprec-R Universal Swing Shafts for 416 WE

I'm wondering if anyone has installed and tested a set of Spec-R universals for the Tamiya 416, or their 44mm Spring Steel swing shafts?

Are they worth the purchase? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turillo View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has installed and tested a set of Spec-R universals for the Tamiya 416, or their 44mm Spring Steel swing shafts?

Are they worth the purchase? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.
I have heard they do not work very well.
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

it's like putting Chevy parts on a Ferrari....
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
it's like putting Chevy parts on a Ferrari....
wow... that bad huh?
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Fabricio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 210
Send a message via MSN to Fabricio Send a message via Skype™ to Fabricio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
wow... that bad huh?
If you look at the video on their website they put the car working with the original one and with the spec r trying to show the difference but if you look carefully there is no difference, so keep the original...
__________________
ARC R10 - ORCA - SANWA - EPIC
Fabricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprises of the feedback so far. I remember universals made a huge difference with my nitro on road car. I might buy a set of each and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any first hand experience?


Ciao!!
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turillo View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprises of the feedback so far. I remember universals made a huge difference with my nitro on road car. I might buy a set of each and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any first hand experience?


Ciao!!
universals ARE a big difference over dogbones

BUT the 416 comes WITH universals


so you are comparing a tamiya part, 3 times world champ,to the same part made by spec-r
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
dameetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sky
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
so you are comparing a tamiya part, 3 times world champ,to the same part made by spec-r
Its 4 times world champion actually.
__________________
Dudududududuuuuuu.....
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
universals ARE a big difference over dogbones

BUT the 416 comes WITH universals


so you are comparing a tamiya part, 3 times world champ,to the same part made by spec-r


True words!

Thanks for the replies.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Track
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

I have installed and tested the Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (SPR001-TMY) on my 416x. I can say with certainty that the chatter at full wheel lock is eliminated using this part (approximately 95% reduction in chatter). This chatter is very noticeable at full wheel lock when using the Tamiya stock spool and the stock universals. I can also state with some confidence the durability of this item. I had an accident which resulted in a broken hub carrier, knuckle, and the spool cup with no ill effect to the universals. Time will tell on the the durability of this item.

Unfortunately, I do not know if the reduction in chatter equates to faster and consistent lap times. My driving skills (lack thereof) prevent me from running consistent consecutive laps within a tenth of a second to accurately perform a real world test. I would be doing you a disservice if I said it 'felt' better without providing any numbers to back up this claim.

I believe the World Champ was using a Spec-R gear diff in his Tamiya 416x. It appears some option items from Spec-R is up to snuff.

-John
__________________
- Middle River Hobbies - The Track -
John.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_green View Post
I have installed and tested the Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (SPR001-TMY) on my 416x. I can say with certainty that the chatter at full wheel lock is eliminated using this part (approximately 95% reduction in chatter). This chatter is very noticeable at full wheel lock when using the Tamiya stock spool and the stock universals. I can also state with some confidence the durability of this item. I had an accident which resulted in a broken hub carrier, knuckle, and the spool cup with no ill effect to the universals. Time will tell on the the durability of this item.

Unfortunately, I do not know if the reduction in chatter equates to faster and consistent lap times. My driving skills (lack thereof) prevent me from running consistent consecutive laps within a tenth of a second to accurately perform a real world test. I would be doing you a disservice if I said it 'felt' better without providing any numbers to back up this claim.

I believe the World Champ was using a Spec-R gear diff in his Tamiya 416x. It appears some option items from Spec-R is up to snuff.

-John

John,

Thank you very much for the reply. I ordered a set of the universals and the gear diff. I'm going to test one at a time. First with the universals and then with the gear diff.

Thanks again.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Track
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turillo View Post
John,

Thank you very much for the reply. I ordered a set of the universals and the gear diff. I'm going to test one at a time. First with the universals and then with the gear diff.

Thanks again.
I also installed the Spec-R gear diff on my car. I built it using the Associated 80 oil and it has been working very well. The diff action has been very smooth with no visible signs of leaking after a full practice day and a race event.

FYI.. 3Racing has also released a gear diff that will also work on the 416. I'm placing an order for it now and look forward to comparing the quality and performance of the 2 diffs.

-John
__________________
- Middle River Hobbies - The Track -
John.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_green View Post
I also installed the Spec-R gear diff on my car. I built it using the Associated 80 oil and it has been working very well. The diff action has been very smooth with no visible signs of leaking after a full practice day and a race event.

FYI.. 3Racing has also released a gear diff that will also work on the 416. I'm placing an order for it now and look forward to comparing the quality and performance of the 2 diffs.

-John

Awesome! Please be sure to share the results.

P.S. Did you use any special shims, or shim tips for building the DIFF?

Ciao
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
old-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,112
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Mine broke on the second pack on the track. Running 11.5T turbo. It broke on 2 places. One on the 2mm pin on the spool end, the other was the pin(1mm maybe???) on the universal, the cross joint broke too.

So far not seeing anywhere that has these replacement parts.

But while it lasted, it was good. Car really flowed through the corners especially on tight turns.

Its a pity its not that reliable.
old-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-man View Post
Mine broke on the second pack on the track. Running 11.5T turbo. It broke on 2 places. One on the 2mm pin on the spool end, the other was the pin(1mm maybe???) on the universal, the cross joint broke too.

So far not seeing anywhere that has these replacement parts.

But while it lasted, it was good. Car really flowed through the corners especially on tight turns.

Its a pity its not that reliable.


Thanks for the feedback. I hope they last more than two packs. I plan to run them with a 13.5. Should have them soon and look forward to testing.

Cheers
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net