Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hot Bodies TCX is just out:

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....oducts_id=2292
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Considering I looked at everything, and bought a Top Photon in the end, I'll also give them a good wrap, quality for money is almost unbeatable, with the Ltd kit you get two chassis in the box.

You probably can't go all that wrong buying any of the major brands, but I like the Photon design features, and so far mine has been a peach to drive, perhaps a car well on the way up overall, considering you often need to wait just to buy one, and was it someone else who said in the recent ROAR event there was like 6 in the A final of one class, and 4 in another A final, Top are doing something right, even if it's just marketing in the US.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Another vote for the Photon... and you can't find a kit cheaper than $380 that comes with two chassis. ...
I don't understand. What do you mean by it comes with 2 chassis? I went to the topracingusa.com website and it says nothing about "2 chassis". In fact, it doesn't say much at all. It just shows pictures of the car in rubber and foam versions...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashman4x4
Have these 2 even been released yet?
Waiting for the slow boat, and not yet.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just looked at Amain Hobbies and the MI4LP Race version (S1 chassis instead of carbon fiber) is at $265. Pretty good price and leaves cash for spares.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

the newer 3racing car, the sakura zero is a good, top car at my local track, parts are extremely cheap, high quality to
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think the cost and availability of parts is a lot more relevant than the cost of kits. These are the cars I would consider on the top tier of racing that are feasible for the average guy to run. There are exotic options like Yokomo & Kyosho, and unrefined options like Corally that are also out there, but they require special effort for most people to run them.

If you're in the US:

Easy to get parts
XRay T3
TOP Photon
AE TC6 (pending release)

Harder to get parts
Tamiya 416X
HB TCX

Each car will have its nuances and individual quirks to work out. Once you decide which route you want to go, I'd suggest finding the thread in this forum specific to that kit and reading every single page of it, no matter how boring it may seem. By the end, you'll know just about everything you need.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Having just bought and built a Hot Bodies TCX I can highly recommend it; parts aren't really a problem as they can be readily shipped in from Hong Kong and it's competitively priced in comparison to the Tamiya TRF416X and the Xray T3. It's great quality and has a proven track record from its ancestors, the Pro4 and then the Cyclone series. You won't be disappointed
Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by A.Wojtecki
Having just bought and built a Hot Bodies TCX...It's great quality and has a proven track record from its ancestors, the Pro4 and then the Cyclone series. You won't be disappointed
The Pro4 was a product by HPI, right? So it wouldn't be an "ancestor" of the TCX.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Same difference.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by M3Armand
The Pro4 was a product by HPI, right? So it wouldn't be an "ancestor" of the TCX.
HPI is the parent company of HB - basically it's evolved such that HPI makes the off-road fun and 'rtr' type vehicles and HB makes the racing kits. The TCX shares the majority of its suspension geometry with the Pro4.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by A.Wojtecki
HPI is the parent company of HB - basically it's evolved such that HPI makes the off-road fun and 'rtr' type vehicles and HB makes the racing kits. The TCX shares the majority of its suspension geometry with the Pro4.
WOW! I didn't know this... Since my favorite car to race has been my HPI RS4 Pro, this certainly puts "Hot Bodies" (which I thought was a "no name" company) into much better light. I think this is a dumb marketing move on HPI's part. But very good to know and it makes me feel better about potentially buying a "Hot Bodies" product.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Armand
WOW! I didn't know this... Since my favorite car to race has been my HPI RS4 Pro, this certainly puts "Hot Bodies" (which I thought was a "no name" company) into much better light. I think this is a dumb marketing move on HPI's part. But very good to know and it makes me feel better about potentially buying a "Hot Bodies" product.
It was not a dumb marketing since the Cyclone/ Cyclone TC was big in its day. Most everybody knows that HPI/Hot Bodies are the same people, but if you were out of the loop for awhile that would make sense. If you were in the hobby while this happened you would understand.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default !

It really depends on what track you run on.
I have a 416 , BD5 , Xray , ...

They all have pluses the T3 is really easy to drive consistant laps and is the best on slippery tracks
The 416 is a better car on high traction tracks and is still very predictable to drive.

But the Yokomo BD5 is a gun car , incredible cornerspeed.

We have Photons in the club but they suffer from high speed push on our track.

If you can buy the Yokomo BD5 ws

Mark M
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SpeedySST
I just looked at Amain Hobbies and the MI4LP Race version (S1 chassis instead of carbon fiber) is at $265. Pretty good price and leaves cash for spares.
I hear the driveshafts are not very durable for these, the shocks have been known not to bleed properly and the plastic pivot blocks are brittle...

But i've not owned one myself to say the above is true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.