Wiki Posts
Search

Drag Racing a Tamiya M04

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Drag Racing a Tamiya M04

I have installed an 8.5 brushless and run 3s 40c lipo in my M04. It goes pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to. I've done test runs on my street and passed cars going 50km/hr. I'm going to race it with the local drag racing club this weekend just to compare and get some numbers so I know what to do next.

I'm just looking for some tips/suggestions on radio settings and tires etc. Crazy ideas will more than likely be entertained. So far I've run sticky mini tires and TC foam tires. The foams didn't work great but the diameter was larger so top speed increased. I'm assuming the track will be prepped with something so I'll bring many tires to try. The nitro musclecar dragsters use VTA tires, but they seem too hard for a light mini-chassis (even though I've added about 3 ounces of weight on the back), but I'll try them. I'll also have my trusty Niftech to sauce all tires with. I'll ry something else if I hear enough people suggest it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I have installed an 8.5 brushless and run 3s 40c lipo in my M04. It goes pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to.
In Australia I hold the current TC record using an 08 Xray...

2.105 sec @ 118.3 kph over standing 40mtrs
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Well I'm not exactly chasing after that record here. I'm curious though about what kind of equipment is used to get those speeds. I really have no idea what electric dragsters use. I've been searching and can't find a lot of info.

I'm just looking for tips for my first time at an RC drag race. I'm already sure I'll be the fastest mini anyone has seen.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Well I'm not exactly chasing after that record here. I'm curious though about what kind of equipment is used to get those speeds. I really have no idea what electric dragsters use. I've been searching and can't find a lot of info.

I'm just looking for tips for my first time at an RC drag race. I'm already sure I'll be the fastest mini anyone has seen.
The Hobby Talk forums has a better drag racing section,you might want to look there.

One part you might think about is Tobee Craft make different spur gears for the M03 and M04. It would give you a few more gear option than what the stock gear box allows.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

I can't seem to find these Tobee Craft pieces. Got a link?