Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to hobby - Educate me

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Returning to hobby - Educate me

I was into nitro monster trucks about 8-10years ago. I had all of them back them. Now I'm very interested into getting into some 10th scale electric outlaw racing. Brushless looks very appealing vs the old stuff and I need quick rundown with all this new lingo and terminology of the stuff. Alot has changed.

I'm pretty set on finding a good used TC4 chassis. Im wondering what motor would do well as a good basher/outlaw racer. Do I need a 5700 or a 8500? Also what are these 3.5's, 8.5's, ect ect... Is that short for 3500, 8500? I need a good rundown on these things... I see people talkin about overheating and using 2s and 3s... Im pretty clueless on these suckers.

Next is ESC's... Can these be mix matched? Or should they be matched with the same manufacture's?

What are some decent brands of Lipo batteries for the average guy? I dont need super high quality stuff, just something that isnt junk and will have a decent life.

Finally, I dont know a thing about onroad tires. What would be a good start for some parking lot racing?

Thanks guys and try to be at least a little patient, gotta learn this stuff somewhere!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I know you guys know something about this stuff
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I don't know anything about 1/10 outlaw racing but I do race 1/10 on-road cars mostly FF (front wheel drive). If you want speed and wanna go brushless you wanna look at 540 size motors and KV in other terms KV equals RPM the higher the KV the faster the motor. To keep temps down make sure you get the right brushless ESC lets say you get a 3000KV motor get at least a 45A ESC or higher the higher the Amp on the ESC the better this way you won't burn out the ESC and won't damage your motor. Also use heat sinks on motor to draw heat away from motor. I would say start with a 4000KV motor and a 60A ESC. That's not furiously fast but its fast. You don't want to much speed because then the car becomes less controllable. You can go with a higher speed motor if you have 4WD car but then the faster the car the faster you will wear out your tires. As for tires you can use medium grip slicks or super grip radial tires. I hope this helps some.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

best thing i can say is...

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!

R
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL! Post you area and someone can let you know when and where some of the local racing occurs. Here you can drop in and find out a massive amount of info and you will have a chance to see what kind of motor power you want.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BombThreat
I'm pretty set on finding a good used TC4 chassis. Im wondering what motor would do well as a good basher/outlaw racer. Do I need a 5700 or a 8500? Also what are these 3.5's, 8.5's, ect ect... Is that short for 3500, 8500? I need a good rundown on these things... I see people talkin about overheating and using 2s and 3s... Im pretty clueless on these suckers.
The TC4 will be just fine for a starter 4wd touring sedan. They are inexpensive, and parts are a plenty. I am actually selling mine, I will PM you with details.

I have no idea what "outlaw racing" is, so I can't recommend a motor. Most TC classes are speced for a certain wind motor (like 17.5 or 13.5), or Mod, which is run as much motor as you want. If you plan on doing any kind of racing, I would get this info right from your local race track.

Next is ESC's... Can these be mix matched? Or should they be matched with the same manufacture's?
Can they be mixed and matched with what? Do you mean against the motor? Almost all brushless ESCs can run any brushless motor.. however, I have read on occasion where a certain pair or two, don't like eachother, but I couldnt' tell you what combo has that issue.

What are some decent brands of Lipo batteries for the average guy? I dont need super high quality stuff, just something that isnt junk and will have a decent life.
You can either buy a brand name lipo from companies like SMC, Thunderpower, IP Intellect, etc... or you can get a cheap generic one from one of the many korean shops, like RCmarket. It doesn't matter TOO much. Get what you can afford. Just make sure the ESC you buy has a low voltage cutoff, and the charger you get specifically charges lipos.

Finally, I dont know a thing about onroad tires. What would be a good start for some parking lot racing?
Gotta check with your local track.