Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fantom Facts Machine Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Fantom Facts Machine Help

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems out of their Facts Machine Dyno's? I have had mine for about seven months and have had to send it in for repairs twice. Now the thing runs as soon as the power supply is turned on. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sounds like the FET's are toasted.

This happens most of the time as a result a reversed diode on the motor.

Not saying that is what happened here, but that is the only time I have seen that happen....

The motor gets 12V as a result of the shorted FET's.....
Very scary......sounds like it's going to take off and fly.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default not the motor

The motor is a brand new Epic Binary Roar Spec. I don't have a diode on the motor.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

With or without the diode it still seems like the fets are gone. I use to repair them and that was the most common parts to go. People would hook their units up backwards to the supply and that does it as well. Most of the time though it would take out the capacitor as well.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

The power was hooked up to a power supply that was turned off until the motor was plugged in. Nothing was changed after the motor previous motor test, and it worked fine for that motor. I really don't understand why this thing would blow out again.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make sure the little transformer (power supply) is plugged in before hooking up the motor. R.W.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

I get an error#6 with mine... supposedly a communication error from laptop to dyno. It only does it on 10 turns and lower. I e-mailed Dave Clary about it, and i got no response, which isnt surprising. Im a little peeved i spent 500$ on this dyno and cant even get it to dyno the motors i bought it for. It even took over a month to get my registration code from Dave Clary for my software... then to find the dyno doesnt even work right! TCDRVR, i feel your pain bro. Im sorry i cant help ya but can only complain... misery loves company! LOL

- DaveW
Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Last time I asked Dave for a number it took only 5 days,

Rick is right, make sure the little power supply is on I had it happen to me

Scott J
Old 05-27-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Facts

The small power supply for the unit was plugged in and the unit was turned on when it failed. I was testing a motor. I'm really disappointed with this thing since it was really expensive and so far the only thing I've gotten out of it was a lighter wallet. I've got over $600 into a dyno that breaks everytime it's put to use and still can't even get any information out of it. High quality for the money...
Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I can tell you that the unit that a friend bought has gone out twice. I replaced the fets and that wasn't the problem. It will run fine on like 12 turn and up motors, but if you put in an 11 turn or below the motor actually quits about halfway through the 5 seconds it is supposed to run and the rpm reading goes to zero even while it is spinning. It's been repaired before and it worked fine for maybe a couple of months and did the same thing again. I don't think they can handle the low wind motors.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

It was a binary Stock Motor. The lowest turn I've tested on it is a 19-turn
Old 05-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Very strange I have been using this dyno since the RSR days without a problem and regularly test down to 7 turn using a car battery topped up after each run.

I never hook a motor up without having the power supply and battery hooked up and on. Also ensure the computer and power supply is on a different electrical circuits, seems to cause problems or a electrical loop between the computer and dyno.

I wonder if line power quality might spike the dyno?

I have had the dos verison drop out, but not the Win version.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Roll out fantom

I recently purchased a fantom dynamometer and the roll out program doesn't work correctly the track I run has a 121 foot run grove and the roll out program tells me I need a 67 pinion and a 86 spur is there a a way into the settings any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Is the software still available?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Here was my answer on another thread about the dyno program:
Sorry to tell you but the Fantom's program's are based on older brushed motor tech. They were a little sketchy at best back them. Just use it for the data on the motor it gives you and work from there. I have used one of these for 20 years bridging brush to brushless technology and that is all I use it for now. It is a useful tool for comparing motors and motor setups if you can get the software to work. The Windows version requires a key which only works on the computer it was issued to. I have not been able to get the older DOS version to work on a newer computer.
I do not know if new software is being sold/issued or even if you can get a key for a license which is needed for the Windows version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.