Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GPS speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Default GPS speedometer

My cousin told me today that he's heard of people attaching their smart phones to their cars and can get max speed, average speed, distance traveled, etc.

Anyone here done this? If so, I'd like some advice as how to attach the phone to the car.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ive seen my friend attach a gps to them and see how fast there going, but no way im i strapping my iphone to this lol
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

I've done this with a Nokia N82 before. It doesn't work very well on a track because the direction changes so much so quickly that the gps doesn't sample the distance travelled accurately so the speed is off. It recorded my 17.5 as doing 75km/h one lap and then 55km/h the next

It's better if you have a long straight if you want to do it this way. I strapped the phone to my battery hold down strap on my TC5r with electrical tape and made sure it wasn't touching any belts. The weight of the phone affects the balance of the car but it's not as if you're racing with it attached.

There are relatively cheap radar guns for sale on Amazon that would do a better job of recording your top speed.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive been wondering this as well. whats the appropriate/best iphone app for this? I'd wrap it up in 2 latex gloves as i do when i strap up my camera.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JKL1031
Ive been wondering this as well. whats the appropriate/best iphone app for this? I'd wrap it up in 2 latex gloves as i do when i strap up my camera.
I called castle creations last month to ask if they're gonna make an android app, but they said NO.

However, they are thinking (I hope b/c I can use Iphone apps on my droid) that they're thinking about developing one next year for Apple.

Don't hold your breath though. A smartphone is a smartphone and not a laptop, after all.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a Garmin Etrex GPS that I have strapped to my Slash to speed test different gear setups. I just zip tied it to the chassis somewhere and drove it up and down the street as far as I could. I don't know if the numbers were accurate but I could see a difference between gears. Best speed I got was 24mph using a 23tooth pinion. I also put it on my slash 4x4 and with a 2s lipo got 38mph, so its kinda close to what they say in the mags with radar guns.

The etrex is a very cheap unit and can be bought on ebay and other places for around $50.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stickman!!
I have a Garmin Etrex GPS that I have strapped to my Slash to speed test different gear setups. I just zip tied it to the chassis somewhere and drove it up and down the street as far as I could. I don't know if the numbers were accurate but I could see a difference between gears. Best speed I got was 24mph using a 23tooth pinion. I also put it on my slash 4x4 and with a 2s lipo got 38mph, so its kinda close to what they say in the mags with radar guns.

The etrex is a very cheap unit and can be bought on ebay and other places for around $50.
Thats a boost or better driving?
Nice report though.

I saw the above postings and I have decided to use the local police to practice with their radar guns - I got 3 tickets so far!!!!! yeah rite they laughed and said "ticket!!!""""

Oh - no car insurance neither!!! LOL