R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default Associated Pan Design

I'm just finishing an R125 and would like to know why the pod design? It seems kludgy, complicated and very breakable. I realize the 5.1 does away with the "floating pod"...did they change the design because of complaints or what? I'm afraid to pick it up 'cause it feels like the rear is gonna break off. I mounted the motor tonight and crap...now it really feels broken.

This is my first attempt at cars. I chose the 1/12 to begin with since it is small. There is a carpeted ballroom on the main level of my building. As long as nothing else is going on in there, I can visit whenever I want and practice. I'm retired so I expect to be down there in the wee hours bashing around by myself until I get it right. Should I switch over to the "T" design? I think it would make me feel more confident that I built the thing right!

Having been a helicopter guy for the last several years, I can't help but think it feels like a crashed heli when I lift it off the table! Am I making any sense here or have I completely lost it?

By the way, I did not put this in the 1/12th thread on purpose. Since it is not a specific forum, it is like a bag full of stuff with no direction. It's just one thread??!!
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Drillit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming
Posts: 1,059
Default

you are not off base at all, but, the 12th thread really IS the place to get these concerns answered. Of course you have opened a can of worms by letting (us) 12th guys know that you are using the 'B' word (bashing) when describing what you are gonna use this Highly Evolved Chassis for! "T"bar cars ruled the earth till single cell lipo came along, making it nearly impossible to lightly configure a t-bar chassis. 'Link' chassis, throw in a single cell lipo and go play........

as in F1 is just a expensive go-cart class.........

If you really want to exceed with 12th, find a track that runs the class, get in there and learn how to tune them. When tuned 'well' , running them is it's own reward.........I think that you'll find them to be rather expensive and down right frustrating if used just for bashing......

Mark
__________________
Mark Tilley
Got T-Bar ? ......... Oregons No ZigZag rule sucks
Bias the weight to the end you want to hit the wall with first!
Searchin fer answers in the Fog.......that's what I found
Drillit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default

Thanks, Mark. I don't really mean bashing in the true sense since I am by myself! Anyway, I've been in RC for over 40 years. Early on when I needed to learn something I had to go off by myself simply because none of my family or friends were into it.

So, that's what I do. These R125s are really an enigma to me though. The design is way bizarre and seemingly frail and yes, I see your point about expense. "Bashing" with others could prove to be a wallet emptier. Kinda like helicopters!
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
miller tyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4hg View Post
Thanks, Mark. I don't really mean bashing in the true sense since I am by myself! Anyway, I've been in RC for over 40 years. Early on when I needed to learn something I had to go off by myself simply because none of my family or friends were into it.

So, that's what I do. These R125s are really an enigma to me though. The design is way bizarre and seemingly frail and yes, I see your point about expense. "Bashing" with others could prove to be a wallet emptier. Kinda like helicopters!
Looks like you live in DC, I know there are a couple of very nice track near you one even hosting the Nationals the end of this month. The Track at Gaithersburg MD is very nice and since ROAR has decided this will be the Nationals year for novice (sportsman Stock ) there should be plenty of time to ask questions and even some Associated Team guys hanging around.
__________________
Ken Miller
RCTarget - Capricorn - Pro Level RC - MAX Power - Maxima Fuel - EA Motorsorts - TQ Wire

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4hg View Post
I'm just finishing an R125 and would like to know why the pod design? It seems kludgy, complicated and very breakable. I realize the 5.1 does away with the "floating pod"...did they change the design because of complaints or what? I'm afraid to pick it up 'cause it feels like the rear is gonna break off. I mounted the motor tonight and crap...now it really feels broken.

This is my first attempt at cars. I chose the 1/12 to begin with since it is small. There is a carpeted ballroom on the main level of my building. As long as nothing else is going on in there, I can visit whenever I want and practice. I'm retired so I expect to be down there in the wee hours bashing around by myself until I get it right. Should I switch over to the "T" design? I think it would make me feel more confident that I built the thing right!

Having been a helicopter guy for the last several years, I can't help but think it feels like a crashed heli when I lift it off the table! Am I making any sense here or have I completely lost it?

By the way, I did not put this in the 1/12th thread on purpose. Since it is not a specific forum, it is like a bag full of stuff with no direction. It's just one thread??!!
The design has been around for a very long time and that is due to the rule that 1/12th can only use a solid rear axle or live rear axle. The suspension of this live rear axle, with motor attached, has gone through a few variations with link and T-Bar proving to be the best. Even though link cars have been around for some time, with the recent rules change to allow only single cell lipo batteries, link cars now reign supreme. Speed Zone USA has released a single cell saddle pack that is proving to be a very good battery so we should see a slight resurgence of T-Bar cars.

While the car might seem flimsy, it is quite durable and you will be amazed at how much abuse it will take before breaking. Parts are still relative inexpensive compared to some other classes of RC cars. A well set up and good handling 1/12th car will out corner any other form of RC car. The response is quick and requires patience in learning how to drive one fast.

The best thing you can do is go to a local track that races 1/12th and lean. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most 1/12th racers prove to be a friendly bunch. Once you think you have it set up well, enter a class and start racing. I spent the first few years learning to move over but once you begin to get good with a 1/12th, it is very satisfying!! Also, the 1/12th thread is the best place to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked.


Enjoy!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default

Thanks again for your input. I'm very familiar with The Track. I am confined to a wheelchair and unfortunately, The Track has no handicap access. Otherwise I would be there this weekend soaking up the knowledge and no doubt, spending money.

Oh well..I guess Tower and the likes will continue to take my money! It's a shame, though. I could spit and almost hit The Track.
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
wolfman864's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, Or
Posts: 770
Send a message via AIM to wolfman864 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4hg View Post
Thanks again for your input. I'm very familiar with The Track. I am confined to a wheelchair and unfortunately, The Track has no handicap access. Otherwise I would be there this weekend soaking up the knowledge and no doubt, spending money.

Oh well..I guess Tower and the likes will continue to take my money! It's a shame, though. I could spit and almost hit The Track.
Why not talk to the track owner and see if there is a way they can be accommedating??
__________________
You can get a lot done with a really big gun
If ya want to race after 9pm, take it to KMart!!!
Team Convoy and proud driver of the Battle Wagon!!!!
Somebody call Amber Lamps!!!
wolfman864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default

I have spoken to Mimi (the owner) in person but I wouldn't expect her to accommodate just one individual. Now if there are others experiencing the same then I might approach her with a different attitude.

Last edited by kk4hg; 03-17-2010 at 10:23 PM.
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
The design has been around for a very long time and that is due to the rule that 1/12th can only use a solid rear axle or live rear axle. The suspension of this live rear axle, with motor attached, has gone through a few variations with link and T-Bar proving to be the best. Even though link cars have been around for some time, with the recent rules change to allow only single cell lipo batteries, link cars now reign supreme. Speed Zone USA has released a single cell saddle pack that is proving to be a very good battery so we should see a slight resurgence of T-Bar cars.

While the car might seem flimsy, it is quite durable and you will be amazed at how much abuse it will take before breaking. Parts are still relative inexpensive compared to some other classes of RC cars. A well set up and good handling 1/12th car will out corner any other form of RC car. The response is quick and requires patience in learning how to drive one fast.

The best thing you can do is go to a local track that races 1/12th and lean. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most 1/12th racers prove to be a friendly bunch. Once you think you have it set up well, enter a class and start racing. I spent the first few years learning to move over but once you begin to get good with a 1/12th, it is very satisfying!! Also, the 1/12th thread is the best place to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked.


Enjoy!
Crashby: Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't realize the link design had been around so long and morphed so much. Live and learn.
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

RC is something that takes people of all differrent sizes and limitations and levels the playing field. I should hope that in the future we see many more tracks with wheelchair acces.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4hg View Post
I have spoken to Mimi (the owner) in person but I wouldn't expect her to accommodate just one individual. Now if there are others experiencing the same then I might approach her with a different attitude.
Hmmm... Any track that puts in a drivers stand that is not ADA compliant is only looking for problems. While I understand you not wanting to cause trouble, it is your right to expect that businesses provide the appropriate access for all racers.

At one of our tracks the owners built a lower drivers stand that is directly in front of the regular drivers stand that is about three feet tall and has the correct elevation footage to lateral footage formula for our wheel chair racers.

Sounds like this track needs to step up.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Tech Initiate
 
kk4hg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Altered State
Posts: 27
Send a message via ICQ to kk4hg Send a message via Yahoo to kk4hg Send a message via Skype™ to kk4hg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
Hmmm... Any track that puts in a drivers stand that is not ADA compliant is only looking for problems. While I understand you not wanting to cause trouble, it is your right to expect that businesses provide the appropriate access for all racers.

At one of our tracks the owners built a lower drivers stand that is directly in front of the regular drivers stand that is about three feet tall and has the correct elevation footage to lateral footage formula for our wheel chair racers.

Sounds like this track needs to step up.
I cannot even get inside the building! Both metal staircases contain about six steps and then have a 90 degree right turn at the landing. The only way I could potentially enter would be at the loading dock on a truck lift gate. And of course that truck would have to be there when I want to leave.
kk4hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Associated TC4 Kenshin Electric On-Road 15354 11-29-2017 01:36 AM
Team Associated TC5 RCknight Electric On-Road 13254 05-12-2017 08:58 AM
Team Associated B44. Race, Tune and Modify Shadows Electric Off-Road 6171 08-09-2015 08:32 AM
1/10th pan car Taz_S Oval, Larger Scales and More 16138 09-25-2014 10:03 AM


Tags
1/12, 12r5, 12r5.1, assoc, crc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:11 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net