Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
I will have a flex plate kit with all you listed. The chassis is cut for 3mm screws for the front end. I may just put the complete AE front end in there. Still not sure. The new pod will be an option part which is one of the reasons why it is not on the car. Another reason is that i haven't cut one out yet.
Cool...Just gotta do something about that blue
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, Im throwing around some ideas. AE sells a complete front end kit but the parts are blue. To strip and re anodize may not be cost effective so i need to figure out a solution.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Jason-
Do the springs touch the chassis (like the SM car) or the links? I'm on my phone and I can't see the photo that well.

Now it looks like I will need 1 conversion and 1 kit.
Thanks
E
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Lord

The springs touch the lower pod plate. I didnt want to put them on the links as it seemed it would tweak easier being that the links pivot back and forth.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, Im throwing around some ideas. AE sells a complete front end kit but the parts are blue. To strip and re anodize may not be cost effective so i need to figure out a solution.
Their side shock they sell in black as that is what is on the Exotech F1R...I wonder if they would be willing to do the front end piece in black?

What about the machined once you were messing with that reversed the screws to the outside?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jason,

Just pop'in car lookes great!!!! good luck with that

This is where i am so far with the build of the prototype. You can run the battery inline to the left or right and also true inline. You can also run it forward with the electronics in the rear or the conventional rear position. And to top it all off, no tape is needed unless you run the battery in the conventional rearward position. You can also run either flex plates or links and springs. Here i have it with links and springs.

There will be a couple more slight improvements but this is basically what we are releasing.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

I may just machine the aluminum stuff. I will see if AE offers black first though

Thanks mike
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

The springs touch the lower pod plate. I didnt want to put them on the links as it seemed it would tweak easier being that the links pivot back and forth.
Cool, that always more since to me, but it took a while before the manuf's that use tweak springs to do it.

What's you estimated time frame for the ch12.1 or 2
E
Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Tech Lord

I am waiting for the go ahead after Snowbirds to start production. I will let you know when the estimated release will be as i get close.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Just a thought... but you could drill the chassis plate for the L4 front end and then use the off-the-shelf Hyperdrive front bulkhead and mounting slugs.

They make them in silver, black, etc.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Just a thought... but you could drill the chassis plate for the L4 front end and then use the off-the-shelf Hyperdrive front bulkhead and mounting slugs.

They make them in silver, black, etc.
Better yet, just make the chassis with 8-32 mount holes, and offer the kit without a front end.
There are a lot of options if you go that route, not to mention a lower initial purchase price.

The SM machined old school front end comes to mind, as well as L4, CRC, and Hyper/AE

For a few extra $$ one could even have copper Hyper/AE bits.....
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Hi Jason, my thoughts.. could you offer as a option the chassis drilled for either a 3mm or a 8-32 front end? This would allow us to choose which style to use. I am excited about the new design, but would not like to have to switch to the new 3mm Assoc. front. As I have several BMI cars with the 8-32 holes and don't want to have to start over again with a new set of spare front end parts.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

From what I recall the Hyperdrive aluminum mounts had some issues with ride height. At one time I wanted to go with the R5 front end because of the aluminum mounts but didn't because of the ride height issue. Running on asphalt we tend to run a bit higher ride heights. Our track is banked and bumpy so we need to be able to maintain a 4.5mm ride height almost down to the rim.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Well I'm pretty sure if Jason was to make the mounts he would take in account for ride hight . But it sounds like the best option to make everyone happy is to make the chassis with holes drilled for 8-32 threads and have Jason machine up the arm mount for the r5 front end. But personally I feel the r5 front end is the best option out of all the strut front ends
Old 01-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

I really like the NFE but I gotta get mine fixed before I can use it again. But for a strut type front end I'd like to see something along the lines of the SM Formula front end...a 1 piece CF lower arm but with an upper arm like the AE front end. That way you don't have to deal with the left and right heights being different due to molding errors in plastic. The lower pivot can be like the ones used in the NFE but have the kingpin slide through rather than being threaded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.