Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default Mid West Grand Slam Report

Race Report from the Mid West Grand Slam Race 4 at MSI

Qualified: 17.5 TC: 6th 13.5 TC: TQ

Finished: 17.5 TC: 5th 13.5 TC: 1st

Notes: I started with my recent set-up but they sprayed the track on Saturday morning this was causing a little issue finding a good balance as the corners were a little inconstant. Through out practice I keep trying different things looking for the right balance but keep coming up with too much steering or not enough. Quailifing ended up with me sitting 6th in 17.5 and TQ in 13.5 I ended up pretty much back at my original set-up with some little changes I spring rate lower all around and 0.1 thicker front sway bar. But the car was very good for the mains. The 17.5 main started out rough and I fell back to 9th or 10th and came back to 5th, I did get close to the main pack but made a few mistakes cost me. However the 13.5 main was a different story, we had a very clean start and I started to pull away and was able to build a good lead and was able to hold it to take the Win.

Thanks, Serpent, Sweep and Fantom for all the support.
James

Kelso race the same set-up with only a minor change for driving style he used a 2.6 front spring and the stock shocks same oils.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey there Sweep Tires!

My local track/club is exploring a spec tire for the Spring/Summer/Fall outdoor season (April through October).

We race on fine grain asphalt that is soda prep'd every race day, and surface temps range from about 55F in the Spring and up to 130F+ in the heat of summer.

Is there one onroad Touring Car tire that would cover that range? Or perhaps two that you would recommend covering low-mid and mid-high temps?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Best Spec Tires!

We race them at Jeff's R/C Studio on carpet.
Great product.

Thank you,

Ross Bartuccio
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

We used to use sorex 36 on the asphalt track. Which sweep tire which can replace it?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We are using the R

Not the fastest but it holds very well. Some people use them for 30 batteries with very close lap times!

People tried to use the Sorex but they return to Sweep, especially on the colder days.

With have those two as control tires
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
We used to use sorex 36 on the asphalt track. Which sweep tire which can replace it?
Try the EXP40 with Pink inserts(SWA-S).

The tires have a good temp range in the upper areas of what the Sorex 36 can do and provide better wear.

The EXP36 with Pink inserts will provide more 'bite' - wear may increase.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

what is up with low spf (Coppertone) type tanning lotion for tire grip
solution?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eric Summers
what is up with low spf (Coppertone) type tanning lotion for tire grip
solution?
Tanning lotion was always a good option for foam tires, especially outdoors. For rubber tires, you best bet is any of the oil-based products like Sweep Tire formula and Tire Tweak OR cleaners like Simple Green and Orange Cleaner OR grip products like Buggy Grip, SXT or Jack The Gripper.

It is really trial and error. Some sauces help the cars start strong, other help the tire keep grip over the run. Try different stuff and check your lap times. Good to also check around the pits to see what others are running.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Tanning lotion was always a good option for foam tires, especially outdoors. For rubber tires, you best bet is any of the oil-based products like Sweep Tire formula and Tire Tweak OR cleaners like Simple Green and Orange Cleaner OR grip products like Buggy Grip, SXT or Jack The Gripper.

It is really trial and error. Some sauces help the cars start strong, other help the tire keep grip over the run. Try different stuff and check your lap times. Good to also check around the pits to see what others are running.
Which sauce will prevent my EXP36 from graining horribly in one run on 120*F pavement with my super aggressive over-driving style? That may be a trick question. >.>

I've found that using the Medium EXP insert with both EXP36 and EXP40 improves tire wear quite a bit. Plus when you assemble your own wheels/tires, you don't have to settle for white wheels.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Which sauce will prevent my EXP36 from graining horribly in one run on 120*F pavement with my super aggressive over-driving style? That may be a trick question. >.>

I've found that using the Medium EXP insert with both EXP36 and EXP40 improves tire wear quite a bit. Plus when you assemble your own wheels/tires, you don't have to settle for white wheels.

-Mike
Drive conservatively doesnt like an option. There is a good balance of tire life and performance. If your EXP36 is wearing too quickly or overheating I would suggest using the EXP40.

What kind of surface is that asphalt or concrete? I would suggest trying the EXP40 with an oil based sauce ideally. If you go with the EXP36 try a softer insert with a wheel that has more airgap or soft wheel. The option of the EXP40 will trade a little performance upfront but finish well and have a little more life. For all out performance - the EXP36 is great from the start.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

MDawson: i just herd about it today at my local LHS, they didn't mentioned
about foam or rubber.
i wanted to smell what they had. read somewhere that the winter green(smell) is banned at some locations. anyway so much info.
im trying to absorb it all This is truly fun for me.
nothing like learning somthn' new every day.
Darn standard rubber. what does REAL F1 and NASCAR use USDA rubber on asphalt!
ems
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat

-Mike
Originally Posted by Eric Summers
MDawson: i just herd about it today at my local LHS, they didn't mentioned
about foam or rubber.
i wanted to smell what they had. read somewhere that the winter green(smell) is banned at some locations. anyway so much info.
im trying to absorb it all This is truly fun for me.
nothing like learning somthn' new every day.
Darn standard rubber. what does REAL F1 and NASCAR use USDA rubber on asphalt!
ems
It was an old recipe that mix with Paragon was awesome with foam on outdoor asphalt.

For normal parking lot racing - you can go a long ways with Simple Green, WD40 or Orange Cleaner

The more prepped the track is - the more the other sauces gain an advantage.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

it's just funny there are home remedy's.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Drive conservatively doesnt like an option. There is a good balance of tire life and performance. If your EXP36 is wearing too quickly or overheating I would suggest using the EXP40.

What kind of surface is that asphalt or concrete? I would suggest trying the EXP40 with an oil based sauce ideally. If you go with the EXP36 try a softer insert with a wheel that has more airgap or soft wheel. The option of the EXP40 will trade a little performance upfront but finish well and have a little more life. For all out performance - the EXP36 is great from the start.
Thanks, Mark. Our surface is very abrasive asphalt. I've been using tire tweak with warmers, wiping off before the run.

My "fast" combination is EXP36 with Medium EXP insert on Yellow nylon wheels. The Medium EXP insert gives me better wear than the premount thin insert, and also a more direct driving feel that I prefer. But they still drop off 2-3 tenths per lap for each of the first two runs, and I can't more than one day out of them.

When track temps come up above about 115*F or so, I switch to the 40's with the medium EXP insert on nylon wheels. All the other (more experienced) drivers say the 40s don't work at that temp, but a few of them also have Sweep sponsorships so wear isn't such an issue for them.

I also find that, especially with the 36's, my tires grain and develop the "groove of death" faster than most people, even people who look like they're pushing really, really hard on their tires. I think a bit of it is driving and some is setup. I haven't gotten to race much this summer, so I'm having to re-learn some of the things I had figured out by the end of last summer, but didn't write down.

I tried the Team Powers 36, and I think they're faster than an EXP40, but more consistent and better-wearing than an EXP36. But I can still grain them on 110*F+ asphalt, and I don't like the ABS plastic wheels.

I want to try the R36, to see where it stands.

-Mike
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey everybody! Anybody have a suggestion to start with for a very hot sealed asphalt track. Ambient temperatures usually 90*+... track temp regularly in the 115-125* range.

The asphalt was sealed so we usually prep with purple soda to get the grip up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.