Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC3 Graphite Chassis, Best Aftermarket model? >

TC3 Graphite Chassis, Best Aftermarket model?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 Graphite Chassis, Best Aftermarket model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thanks buddy,speedie answered the question for me.thanks buddy.good luck with it.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:38 PM

all i say is hands down wait until the irs chassis ok trust me
Old 04-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Well, I got most of the chassis together ( still just need to basically mount the electronics ).

Only a few issues / suggestions:

1. If you can include a note saying where to put the standoffs would be great. I was alittle confused at first where they went and can see someone else having the issue as well.

2. I mainly run the stock 48 pitch spur gear, and when mounting my motor to it if I ever have to use a pinion smaller than say a 23 tooth, I don't think it will work. A note on this or suggested spur size for 48 pitch and 64 pitch would be great. You mounting method though is really nice!

Other than this, the kit is AMAZING! Your build quality even with the slight defect on the chassis ( if you can even call it that! ) is something AE needs to really look at and copy. just looking at how close the batteries are moved in as well as the motor and I can just imagine how the car will handle.

So I give the chassis just on the build quality alone a 10! If you are looking for a great chassis, this for the money looks to be the hot ticket.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default CAIN !!

glad you got the chassis togather.. I know youll be very happy with its performance .. As far as the motor mounting issue , just make sure you put the mounting screws on one side of the can ,dont stagger the screws . and youll be able to mount what ever pinion you desire for your mod and stock motors .. Hope you have a great time at the races ..Let us all know how your doing...
Old 04-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the advice.

I am actually mounting them staggered as when I tried to mount them on the same side ( far left top, far left bottom ) it didn't want to go on right. I may have to look more into this but the chassis really feels great. Can't wait to get some time on it.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

When you mount them on the same side you do have to wiggle it a little for it to slide in right youll get a feel for it after you do it a few times. I didnt think I would like the mount the first time I was putting mine together but after the first race I loved it. Its quick and simple.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Legend

Nice,

the way I have it mounted I couldn't get both screws to be on the motor and then mount it. I had to put one of the screws on after the motor was already hooked in if you know what I mean.

I will look into that tonite or monday as we have family over. Pretty cool stuff.

I also sealed up the graphite edges with super glue as I was told on other graphite chassis, not sure if this is still done but I did it just in case. It looks pretty cool when I ran a small beed around the BMI Racing name, made it shine right up.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Tech Legend

Ok, did what you said and it worked great. Its really amazing how close the motor is now to the center of the vehicle.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

I have an IRS chassis and like it much bettter than my BMI (I run both)

My BMI is harder to work on and seems to have more tweak problems than my IRS. Maybe I have it setup wrong but it seems the BMI just doesn't work for me on carpet. Works & looks great in the parking lot though. My dad wants a shaft drive car & since the BMI has been passed on to me I'll have to pass it back once I get a job putting me in the potentional market for a TC.

Maybe I got an IRS on steriods.....I could have the 3mm version too. I got it used so I'm not sure. I'll try to borrow my dad's digital calipers later. I also run the Trinity alluminum chassis braces on the IRS (i've never ran it without allum. chassis braces)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:53 AM
Tech Legend

Maybe you should try getting the 3mm carbon fiber upper plate for the BMI?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Ok I opened the drawer and the digital calipers were right there so I took some measurements. I was out with my friends the rest of last night & I'm @ school now so these are what I remember...

BMI: Top Plate 2.41... Bottom Plate 3.663 (I have an Associated chasiss protecter that probably adds quite a bit)

IRS: Bottom plate: 3.49 (no chassis cover yet)

The BMI is going back to my dad because he liked it better than I do. If I get my job I'll be in the market for a touring car (probably a Yoke CGM)
Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Black Kat:

The B.M.I. comes with a 3mm bottom chassis and a 2mm top plate standard. for carpet it's better to run the optional 3mm top plate. with this top plate you have a much stiffer chassis that will work great on carpet. I have posted my setup on the B.M.I. thread. (we run foams). just do a search for my name.

I used to run the IRS chassis on rubber tires (first gen) and found it to be a little flexy. I haven't tried hiis newer chassis as of yet.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Here in NoCal all we run is rubber. Except in mod....

I really dig the 3.5 mm IRS chassis. I have no tweak/flex probs with it and it really lightened my car up
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the BMI Chassis is 3mm and upper deck is 2mm with optional 3mm upper deck for carpet.the tollerance on the material is +or - .002.i am sure the IRS Chassis works well.all chassis take a little getting used to and fining the right set up may be a little difficult but in the end they all work great.it just comes down to personal preference i guess