R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Sanyo 3000HV cells! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/356-sanyo-3000hv-cells.html)

work 10-08-2002 04:23 AM

Danny, I got a couple of HVs. How do you recommend I charge them in my Pitbull? Thanks:D

TSR6 10-08-2002 07:25 AM

Originally posted by work
Danny, I got a couple of HVs. How do you recommend I charge them in my Pitbull? Thanks:D
7 amps, .05v drop.

madweazl 10-09-2002 03:52 PM

Ok, just finished reading the 751 prior posts to mine, shew [wipes sweat from brow]. I just got back into RC and went ahead and ordered some Trinity GP3300s. I had first planned on the 3000HVs but decided at the last minute to change them.

Danny, can you provide some more details on your thoughts of the cells as compared to the 3000s and the rest of the info posted in this forum. I havent been to your website yet as I'm in Saudi and our firewall prevents us from getting to certain sites at certain times of the day (or night in my case since its about 2 in the morning here right now). They are basically just 3000HVs with more capacity correct, are the rest of the traits the same?

Last time I was racing it was using 2000s about 2 years ago (maybe not quite). I've never been gentle with my batteries and always charged at 8 amps. I prefer a kick ass pack with 3/4 of the average life expectancy than lower performance for its full expectancy but thats just me. 8a always delivered a lot of punch for me.

Can we move this thread into a 3300 focus or start one for the 3300s?

Thanks for any info, Aaron.

Cole Trickle 10-10-2002 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I just got my first pack of Sanyo 3000 HV one week ago.

I've noticed, that while charging, they get warm quite fast. That is, they are very comfortably to keep my hands on. Then the temperature stays almost constant, they dont get hotter than that. Is this normal?

My NiCd's just get sligthly warm, at THE END of a charge...

Can someone please answer my question?

sosidge 10-11-2002 04:24 AM

It's not something I've really noticed.

dudley doright 10-11-2002 06:06 PM

Do you have any recommended setting for using the Apex Sigma Plus? I have the Sanyo 3000HV made by Orion.

TeamGoodwrench 10-11-2002 06:33 PM

Originally posted by TSR6
7 amps, .05v drop.

YUP ! Do what he says ! I just tried this last weekend and they really woke up. Just put the heat to 'em !

work 10-12-2002 07:43 AM

TSR6, TeamGood: Thanks for the reply:D Any tips on how to store them? Do I use a discharge tray? If so what brand would be good? This is my first set of sidexsides so I don't want to ruin them:D

TeamGoodwrench 10-12-2002 08:16 AM

DO **NOT** tray the Sanyo HV's. The Panasonics can be trayed right before a charge, but NOT the Sanyos.

Just run them in the race and put them back in your box. Discharge them just before you use them next time.

TSR6 10-12-2002 08:21 AM

I usually tray them right before charging them. It's been said that they will lose some runtime, but not lose voltage when you tray them.

I use a promatch tray though, which does not bring each cell down to zero. If i remember correctly, it brings the cells down to .65v

I usually store them as-is after discharging them.

I'm getting a couple Hurricane packs tommorow.

I'm sure Danny would reccomend SMC :lol:

-Troy

ottoman 10-12-2002 03:34 PM

I guess everyone has a different opinion... me, I tray my HV's for ten minuets after the lights go out... trinity real time tray... and store them that way... lost a few seconds of run time but voltage went up and resistance went down... ran them all last winter season and just broke them out for this year... after a few cycles they are just as good as when I put them away...... I guess you should just try things untill you find something that works for you.

B3boy 10-12-2002 05:30 PM

Charging Questions

I know you guys have probably answere these questions a trillion time before, but I really don't want to screw up my batteries cause I paid a ton for them. If it matters, I have an INDI 16x7 charger. I am currently building them so I haven't charged them yet.

I just recently bought 2 Integy 3000HV cells with 1.21 voltage. I am doing a science experiment on how gear ratios effect speed and acceleration. I have been doing a lot of reasearch on these cells, but everywhere I go there are different answers. So if you guys would clear a few things up for me I would really appreciate it.

What is a general amp range for charging these cells and how does it affect performance. I have heard answers from 4 amps, to 8 amps. I am not much of a racer, I do like going to them whenever I get a chance. So I am mostly concerned about a long life period, not maximum power.

What mv threshold setting should I use. Again, how does this affect the performance and lifetime of the pack. I have heard from 2 mv to 14 mv.

I discharge at 20 amps (Is that OK?). How should I store them for long term? I hear many places to put a half charge into them and you can store them for months. What about short term. I don't have a discharge tray, but my charger has the discharge function.

There are some other things that I just don't really understand. When my cells say that they are 1.21V, how much does this matter and what does it mean?

Here are a few thing that the box the batteries came in said.
Charge set: 5.o DS End Volt: 0.90 Dischg time: 547
Dischg Set: 20.0 DS end time: 375 Ave Dischg volt: 1.21

I sorta know what these things mean, but I don't know how it affects performance, run time, and anything like that. For example, what is the difference between DS end time and Dischg time.

One last thing I would like to know is why chargers say a voltage that is more than 7.2V. I thought that all packs had only 7.2 volts in them. I charged an old 1500 and it got up to 9.sumthin volts.

If there is anything else a newbie like me would need to know please tell me. I thank anybody who answers my questions.

:tire: :nod:

robk 10-13-2002 11:28 AM

Integy cells are rated a bit differently than most. The discharge time is the total run time ( like 545sec). DS end volt is the discharge cutoff, the cell stops disharging at .09v. The part where things get confusing is the 375 DS end value. The average voltage calculations are stopped at 375 seconds. So even if the battery actually runs for 545 seconds, all voltage information after 375 seconds is ignored. A few matchers do this, stating that since most races are 5 min (360 sec) you don't use anything past 375 seconds. That's like a 360 second/5minute race plus the last lap.

Essentially the average volatge over the whole discharge (545 sec) would probably be lower than 1.21v. You would have to use a matcher or single cell cycler to find out.

As far as charging the batteries, for race purposes, the drop back voltage is usually around .07v per cell, with charge rate at about 6-8A, and as high as 10A. the batteries like to get hot to perform their best. i don't see why using a drop back of .04-.05 and 5-6A to charge wouldn't give good performance and still keep the batteries healthy for a while.

Pit Crew 10-14-2002 12:37 PM

60 seconds times 5 minutes is 300 seconds

(not trying to be a smart a@@)

B3boy 10-14-2002 01:51 PM

First time charger

I haven't charged my new 3000HVs yet because I don't know what I should do to them first.

Should I discharge them to 0.9V and then fully charger them and run them.

Or should I Just charge them first.

Also, Is there anything special I should do on the first charge?

Thanks

:tire: :nod: