Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Paul on carpet when do u prefer progressive spring vs linear spring? The question is for the front and rear of car
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
OK Paulie . I'm back , BTW the rear toe ony usgt car was the issue with tires .. Tks for ur info
Now to my most recent findings . this problem is with my 17.5tc .
Clean tires with 2 runs on them even wear on all 4. Dopeing them 5min before run with STX.
Burnout as it hits the track , run 2 warmup laps to get some heat in the tires . 1min pause till we get to run (sometimes more) 2nd lap in car feels great , as i expect it to feel anyways .
10laps in car begins to push and doesnt rotate as smooth thru the turn (as if rear traction has doubled) . seems to stay this way all the way till end . I've temped the tires and they r 105 on outside front (sweeper I'm guessing) and all others r 95 deg . any ideas without going into set up 2 deep? BTW its a T4
Glad you figured it out with the USGT!
As for the 17.5 car i think i can help. First you need to make a set up change that will give you more steering, more front camber, less rear camber, move some weight back on chassis, less rear toe, etc. I would suggest just .5deg more front camber and .5deg less rear camber for starters. then you want to sauce only half your front tires or sauce your front tires for a much shorter period of time. The logic in this is that the set up change will give more steering at the beginning and the end of the run, then the less front sauce will take away a bit of steering, but only at the beginning of the run. so hopefully in the end you will have a car that steers the same at the begining as before but maintains the steering threw the run like it did not do before. If that makes sence, lol.

Originally Posted by rosko
Paul on carpet when do u prefer progressive spring vs linear spring? The question is for the front and rear of car
Hi, I cant say that i always prefer one over the other but i will say that for high bite carpet i will gravitate to linear springs and on low bite i suppose progressive. but that is a loose rule of thumb.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Paul L
Glad you figured it out with the USGT!
As for the 17.5 car i think i can help. First you need to make a set up change that will give you more steering, more front camber, less rear camber, move some weight back on chassis, less rear toe, etc. I would suggest just .5deg more front camber and .5deg less rear camber for starters. then you want to sauce only half your front tires or sauce your front tires for a much shorter period of time. The logic in this is that the set up change will give more steering at the beginning and the end of the run, then the less front sauce will take away a bit of steering, but only at the beginning of the run. so hopefully in the end you will have a car that steers the same at the begining as before but maintains the steering threw the run like it did not do before. If that makes sence, lol.

Hi, I cant say that i always prefer one over the other but i will say that for high bite carpet i will gravitate to linear springs and on low bite i suppose progressive. but that is a loose rule of thumb.
Ok thanks thats what i was thinking
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks Paul !! At the track I just feel overwhelmed with everything happening
Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

I was checking out the propel bottle you are selling and I had a question about the types of chemicals you use, and what I might be able to use the bottle for.

Currently, I am using butane lighter fluid to clean my rubber tires after the race. % minutes before the next race I apply my traction compound.

I was thinking of using the bottle or my tire cleaner. I like the way the lighter fluid cleans the tires and leaves them nice and tacky/rubbery. I have raced with the tires cleaned and no traction compound and they do surprisingly well.

I am wondering if the alcohol would clean the tires as well as the lighter fluid.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Meradin
Hey Paul,

I was checking out the propel bottle you are selling and I had a question about the types of chemicals you use, and what I might be able to use the bottle for.

Currently, I am using butane lighter fluid to clean my rubber tires after the race. % minutes before the next race I apply my traction compound.

I was thinking of using the bottle or my tire cleaner. I like the way the lighter fluid cleans the tires and leaves them nice and tacky/rubbery. I have raced with the tires cleaned and no traction compound and they do surprisingly well.

I am wondering if the alcohol would clean the tires as well as the lighter fluid.

What are your thoughts?
I think you mean the naptha based liquid that comes in the small containers.
Butane is a gas.
Naptha is one of the main ingredients for Wurth brake cleaner, but lighter fluid will work out cheaper.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I've been using Ronsonol (Naptha mostly) in my Gravity sprayer with success. Evaporates quickly and like mentioned works well for cleaning tires. Cheap too.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

yeah, that is what I meant, naphtha. Works great for tire cleaning. I wonder if Alcohol would work as well? I may have to try it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I was wondering that myself. Naphtha is more oil based and alcohol isn't so it seems the naphtha would be nicer on longevity of the tires.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

The carpet we run on is very high grip...or so I am told. I haven't really raced too many other places to compare. There is a local club that uses some pretty worn and dirty ozite and he have way more bite than they do.

I only mention this as it would seem that high bite traction would wear out tires pretty fast and I am going over a year with my sweep 32s. They are starting to get the ring of death but other than that they are still holding up well. I race almost every Friday night, 3 races each night.

I have nothing but good to say about the naphtha. Now, if the alcohol works I can get a pretty big jug of that! I wonder if you could make a mix of something....different thread I am sure.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Gravity RC

Hey Paul,

What are your thoughts?
Hi Sorry for my late reply. I use Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) in my propel canister, works great for me. I have used it to clean tires with success but I do not think that Denatured alcohol will leave your tires tacky like lighter fluid does. I use the bottle and denatured as total substitute for motor spray. The methanol that is added to denatured is what gives it the added evaporation that is nice. you could use lighter fluid in the can but then you will only be able to use it for cleaning tires.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I think you mean the naptha based liquid that comes in the small containers.
Butane is a gas.
Naptha is one of the main ingredients for Wurth brake cleaner, but lighter fluid will work out cheaper.
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I've been using Ronsonol (Naptha mostly) in my Gravity sprayer with success. Evaporates quickly and like mentioned works well for cleaning tires. Cheap too.
Thanks for the advice!

yeah, that is what I meant, naphtha. Works great for tire cleaning. I wonder if Alcohol would work as well? I may have to try it.
Naptha is a pretty Broad term which is one reason why i only recommend two things to put in the canister. Simple green/water, or Denatured Alcohol.

Naphtha is derived of crude which is why would be likely to give more traction as a tire cleaner but may not actually clean a tire Better. Personally i feel slightly better working around denatured alcohol.

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
I was wondering that myself. Naphtha is more oil based and alcohol isn't so it seems the naphtha would be nicer on longevity of the tires.
The carpet we run on is very high grip...or so I am told. I haven't really raced too many other places to compare. There is a local club that uses some pretty worn and dirty ozite and he have way more bite than they do.

I only mention this as it would seem that high bite traction would wear out tires pretty fast and I am going over a year with my sweep 32s. They are starting to get the ring of death but other than that they are still holding up well. I race almost every Friday night, 3 races each night.

I have nothing but good to say about the naphtha. Now, if the alcohol works I can get a pretty big jug of that! I wonder if you could make a mix of something....different thread I am sure.
Hi. In carpet racing it is actually true that the higher the grip the less the tire wear is. A tire that is not sliding will barely wear. Thats great that you are getting that many runs on your tires!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Do you run straight Denatured Alcohol or do you dilute it down a little?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Brady_21x
Do you run straight Denatured Alcohol or do you dilute it down a little?
Hi, I and everyone here at Trackside has been using straight denatured Alcohol.
I have been using "Crown" brand with good success. 15.00 gallon at home depot. It ends up costing a dollar per fill.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sounds good! Thanks for the quick response definitely better than the $9 a can for motor cleaner!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Wait Brady, these are for cleaning cars and tires...you actually have to race one to get it dirty! Just kidding! Hopefully we will see you racing again soon!

Paul, Thanks for the responses! I wouldn't want to put the naptha in the canister, I just squirt some on my rag and rub the tires down. Works well. I tried using the alcohol as a tire cleaner and it did not impress me. I will take a video of it. The Alcohol in the canister will work great as a motor spray substitute! Gotta pick me up a bottle.

I also see you have a new formula for carpet compound. Can you speak on that? How does it compare to the LG2? SXT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.