Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by HBRC-LBD
Hey Paul,

What ESC do you run in X12?

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin, I run the LRP Flow with a 4.0 boosted pretty high, 30deg timing geared 25/98 for most tracks. thanks!

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE
Paul it was great having you as our guest at Jeff's RC Studio! We had tons of people show up to meet Paul and get some tips and an autograph! We highly recommend inviting Paul to your hobby shop to do the same, it was a huge success!

We hope to be able to book you again Paul in the very near future. Everyone wants you back.

Your friends at Jeff's RC Studio!
Thanks!! was fun, hopefully next time i will be in a little better health and enthusiastic.

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
+1
I learned alot from your tips.

Thank you Paul.
That is what its all about! Thanks

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Looking at purchasing some of your 1/12 scale tires here in Japan, and wondering whats a good tire combination for outdoor asphalt? The traction level is low-medium, sugar water is the main traction agent. The temperatures are in the high 30-40 degrees Celsius. Also, I'll be using paragon black can for traction compound.

Cheers.

Edward
Hi Edward, i would suggest soft rear and hard front for asphalt. the only problem that you may run in to is that the tires are pre trued to 45mmR and 43.5mm front. for low grip that is not likely to be big enough, med and high grip it would likely work well. if they are not big enough, special asphalt tires will have to be special ordered which will then be tailored to lower grip asphalt tracks.
Thanks

Originally Posted by peter.
hello paul
what do you use for ratio with 13.5 tp with boost
there is a big difference in speed between the 4.5t 5.5t 6.5T
and what is the best choice for someone who has not ridden much modified

greetings peter
Hi Peter, for 13.5 i can only suggest starting at a 5.5 ratio, 30deg motor timing and boost it from their and keep track of temps. if you are going to do a lot of testing i would also try a green rotor. As for mod i would go with a 5.5 because boosted it can be as fast as anyone but non boosted i can be pretty tame also. Good luck!

Originally Posted by rramjet
Hi Paul:
Is there a rule of thumb regarding shock rebound? I see some setup sheets where some is used and many where it is zero. My guess is it has to do with the track smoothness but not sure. I was taught to set about 25% rebound for my TRF416X for an asphalt track with some bumps in it. I'm guessing that rebound tempers the spring action.

Thanks
I think that the norm now is to have 0 rebound, i think that when you see 25% on a set up sheet, that is a lot of time because someone is attempting to have the least possible amount of rebound but still the shaft will push out just a little. in general i think that 0 rebound just drives smoother and the car is more predictable to drive.

Originally Posted by DJGonzo69
Paul- Thank you for helping me with my spool cup at the Reedy Race, & also setting up my TC. I have been in the Hobby since 1991 & I can only say there are only a few people that are as helpful as Paul. Again Thank you!
-John
No problem, glad i could help so you could get to having fun!

Originally Posted by zerius
Paul, thanks for saving my weekend at the Reedy Race! I wasn't having the best of luck in the first 2 qualifiers. In the 3rd qualifier, my motor had shifted on the warm up lap. Paul came to the rescue with tools to set the gear mesh!! From that point, my luck changed for the better. I think it was a sign for me to go back to running an Xray Thanks again!!!
Ha Ha, I didnt get to watch you after that but im glad your week got turned around. was fun.

See ya!

Originally Posted by Bcholka
Hi Paul,
What are your thoughts on the Proline 2-stage rear buggy foams for my XB4 at TS? I've already ordered the Suburbs and Scrubs per your recommendation. I know you recommend soft compound-curious on your thoughts about running super-soft?
Thanks as always!
I Am yet to try the 2stage but i think it could be a good option. the stock inserts have the most grip of all right away but then it does get too soft quickly, the molded inserts start with less grip but then soften up and have good traction. it is possible that for here the 2stage could be the best compromise. If i try it i will let you know.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

I would like to say thanks for keeping up with a thread like this, it really helps out newer guys in the hobby, like myself, and im sure the experienced guys learn a lot from you as well. I had the great pleasure of racing with you at the 2012 on-road fuel nationals in the Finals for sedan. I am came to this thread to ask you what on the stock setup for a T4 (17.5) would you change, or is the car great right out of the box. I have not raced electric very much but i know i like the feel of the NT1 with some adjustments to springs, shock oils and diff oils. I read that some people are putting heavier shock oils and diff oils in but i wasn't sure where a good start was. I will mainly be running at Kissimmee when the new asphalt is laid down next month.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by esckalayd
Hey Paul,

I would like to say thanks for keeping up with a thread like this, it really helps out newer guys in the hobby, like myself, and im sure the experienced guys learn a lot from you as well. I had the great pleasure of racing with you at the 2012 on-road fuel nationals in the Finals for sedan. I am came to this thread to ask you what on the stock setup for a T4 (17.5) would you change, or is the car great right out of the box. I have not raced electric very much but i know i like the feel of the NT1 with some adjustments to springs, shock oils and diff oils. I read that some people are putting heavier shock oils and diff oils in but i wasn't sure where a good start was. I will mainly be running at Kissimmee when the new asphalt is laid down next month.

Thanks
Run Mod Sandbagger j/k
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank You Paul!

I was hoping you would have a LRP, What settings do you run?

I'm running a 5.5 with 1.4 firmware, can you recommend a base setup?

Thanks again

Kevin
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey paul,

I'm about to drop a 4.5 in my car. What's a good base gearing for west coast and how much timing in the flow?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hi Paul, would you be posting your Reedy setup for the T4? Didn't get a chance to talk to you with all the hustle and bustle at the race.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

My son and I got to meet Paul last night at Trackside Hobbies.
Wow--what a class act of a guy!! I'm sure a guy like this is being pulled in a million different directions and yet he's VERY approachable and willing to take whatever time to talk and visit.
Paul is a real credit to our hobby and we are very fortunate to have him!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow--what a class act of a guy!! I'm sure a guy like this is being pulled in a million different directions and yet he's VERY approachable and willing to take whatever time to talk and visit.
+1 on that
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Gravity RC

Hey Paul,

Thanks
Hi, No prob!. For the T4 this is my go to set up when the bite is med or high, the only thing that you might want to test would be 4deg caster instead of 6.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=367&setup=t4

Im not really a believer in needing a different set up for mod and stock. so i would go with it. was your diff and shock oil question in regard to the T4 or the Nt1?

Thanks

Originally Posted by HBRC-LBD
Thank You Paul!

I was hoping you would have a LRP, What settings do you run?

I'm running a 5.5 with 1.4 firmware, can you recommend a base setup?

Thanks again

Kevin
Hi Kevin. for starters i would go with a 7.7 overall ratio, 20deg motor timing.
for starting speedo settings on a flow i would go with. 5,2,0,3,4,2,0. fan on speedo and motor. hopefully that gets you in the ball park.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
Hey paul,

I'm about to drop a 4.5 in my car. What's a good base gearing for west coast and how much timing in the flow?
Hi. for a 4.5 i would start the gear at 8.3, 15-20 deg motor timing.
Flow settings 5,2,0,2,3,1,0. again fan on motor and speedo. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Dan
Hi Paul, would you be posting your Reedy setup for the T4? Didn't get a chance to talk to you with all the hustle and bustle at the race.
Yup, here it is. http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=408&setup=t4

You should have come by!

see ya

Was cool to meet you guys also. was also cool to see your boy really nose down on those landings. Thanks. Ill see ya soon!

Originally Posted by srp67
+1 on that
blush, lol
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Toledo Ohio

hey Paul,
curious, have you ever ran your t3 12 at the outdoor Toledo asphalt track? just wondering what your setup was for that car, or what it would have been, at that track.

i'd appreciate any insight.

my car seems to handle ok, just looking for that little something more

right now im runinng:
4.5 motor timed and boosted
middle roll centers for the arms
#1 hole upper for front
#2 hole upper for rear
rear shocks laid down, using the '11 shock tower
somewhere in the middle for the front tower
350cst in the shocks
ofna diff loc in the front
700cst in the rear
thinner top deck, took out the 2 screws for more flex, stock lower
wider hubs for the front
narrow hubs in the rear
sorex 32s all the way around

thanks for your time...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi, No prob!. For the T4 this is my go to set up when the bite is med or high, the only thing that you might want to test would be 4deg caster instead of 6.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=367&setup=t4

Im not really a believer in needing a different set up for mod and stock. so i would go with it. was your diff and shock oil question in regard to the T4 or the Nt1?
The Diff and shock oils were for the T4 but now i can just get a good ballpark with your setup. Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The solder tabs on my TP motors are coming loose, the A tab on 2 stators. You would probably get new ones, what can I use to get them solid?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can you help with a low bite setup? I run at Jackson the site for 2011 Nats, it's early in our outdoor season and very low bite. It comes by the 3rd round but has been raining between race days and washes that away
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Bigz84
hey Paul,
curious, have you ever ran your t3 12 at the outdoor Toledo asphalt track? just wondering what your setup was for that car, or what it would have been, at that track.

i'd appreciate any insight.

my car seems to handle ok, just looking for that little something more

right now im runinng:
4.5 motor timed and boosted
middle roll centers for the arms
#1 hole upper for front
#2 hole upper for rear
rear shocks laid down, using the '11 shock tower
somewhere in the middle for the front tower
350cst in the shocks
ofna diff loc in the front
700cst in the rear
thinner top deck, took out the 2 screws for more flex, stock lower
wider hubs for the front
narrow hubs in the rear
sorex 32s all the way around

thanks for your time...
Hi, I have never run electric on that track or nitro either since i believe they re surfaced it. Its kinda hard to say where we would be for set ups on that track with that car today. the only thing that i can almost say for sure is that we would be running iether 2.5million diff oil or a spool in the front with likely 2k cst in the rear diff. as for the rest of the set up i cant say for sure but what you have doesn't sound odd. sorry i couldn't be more help.

The Diff and shock oils were for the T4 but now i can just get a good ballpark with your setup. Thanks
no prob, Thanks!

Originally Posted by JOE SI
The solder tabs on my TP motors are coming loose, the A tab on 2 stators. You would probably get new ones, what can I use to get them solid?
Hi, How loose are we talking? Normally our motor is pretty good about that, Is the fiberglass insulator still on top of the stator between it and the endbell? if its a little loose i would not worry but if it is flopping their is a problem.

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Can you help with a low bite setup? I run at Jackson the site for 2011 Nats, it's early in our outdoor season and very low bite. It comes by the 3rd round but has been raining between race days and washes that away
Which car are you running?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok Paul when you, were at Jeff's after the Nartionals you talked about front diffs. I'm curious if you have any special processes at building front diff using 2.5m and how full you should fill it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.