Wiki Posts
Search

To ROAR Fixed Timing On Stock Brushless Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
OMG you posted something I agree with. Now I have to throw myself under Sarah Palin's tour bus.
The absolute lack of insight on both of your posts is quite astonishing.

Let me answer your question as to why people don't move up to mod in Region 1, or most indoor tracks around America. First of all, size of indoor tracks don't lend themselves to mod. Are you really going to competitively run sedans and 12th scale cars in mod with a 75 foot straightaway ( or less) and 6 foot lanes with todays technology? Its like driving a Ferrari in a gymnasium.

If your outdoors on a 150 foot plus track with wide open lanes, then running 13.5 or 17.5 is quite retarded.

Bottom line, if your local club cant support mod, its pretty unreasonable to expect this big leap to mod unless mod itself, perhaps all cars in general, are slowed down.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by corallyman
In the future Steve, try never agreeing with Geo, you'll be a happier person. Trust us, we know Geo. You don't want to know Geo.

Steve

I know you too ....

4 cheeseburgers & a extra large fry ...

Why does a Sedan racer who is experience and has mass skills think they have to use a 3.5 to race mod when a slower motor just may be best for them and the track ?

Mod is any motor you choose , so if your faster with a 17.5 ?

Power to yeah ...
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Why does a Sedan racer who is experience and has mass skills think they have to use a 3.5 to race mod when a slower motor just may be best for them and the track ?

Mod is any motor you choose , so if your faster with a 17.5 ?

Power to yeah ...
This concept is so simple but not realistic. Mod will always be too fast while racers strive to make the stock classes faster and faster. I could release a 13.5 system that was as fast and mod and I doubt anyone would complain about the speed.

Where does today's 13.5 compare to modified in the past? I would not be surprised if those that thought mod was too fast 3-4 years ago are racing those same speeds today but with 13.5 motors.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I just want to know what would be the big problem with having a cheaper fixed timed bushing motor?

I don't care about esc this is not the issue, but a cheaper more cost effective motor. I would be more cheaper for the manufactures to produce this type of motor, bearings cost more money if you fix the endbell where is the increase in cost? Everyone is talking about the economy but we are paying 50.00 more for a motor now if not more.

Tell me why in this ecomony you want to spend more money and why would a motor that would cost less be bad for racing?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

The only way this will work is if the track director tells everybody. For stock class, you must run this esc, and this motor, or go back to brushed motors for stock racing.

It would be a waste of time for manufactures to produce a new system for stock class.

When it comes down to racing, no matter what you do, the fast guys will be fast, the slow guys will be slow.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gijoe64
I just want to know what would be the big problem with having a cheaper fixed timed bushing motor?

I don't care about esc this is not the issue, but a cheaper more cost effective motor. I would be more cheaper for the manufactures to produce this type of motor, bearings cost more money if you fix the endbell where is the increase in cost? Everyone is talking about the economy but we are paying 50.00 more for a motor now if not more.

Tell me why in this ecomony you want to spend more money and why would a motor that would cost less be bad for racing?
Is it really cheaper? The difference between bushings and bearings (there are only 2) is minimal. To fix the timing they would have to machine new pieces (more cost initially). Additionally everyone would need to discard the motors they have in favor of these new motors. More additional cost.

What is the problem you are really trying to solve? The cost of the hobby? The speed of it?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There's definitely nothing wrong with a cheaper motor. But I don't think bearings run up the cost much...they're really cheap. Speed Passion's last version had a fixed end bell but they were/are the same price as all the other motors.

Is it the sensor that adds cost? I don't know if senorless would be cheaper?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

How about a fixed rotor?

That'll slow 'em down.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Paying 2 cents for a bushing and 10 cents for a bearing is a big cost jump to manufactures. What tooling cost? you source the right size bushing and install.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
How about a fixed rotor?

That'll slow 'em down.

I had one of those this past Saturday. But all it did was smoke and didn't go very far...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Paying 2 cents for a bushing and 10 cents for a bearing is a big cost jump to manufactures. What tooling cost? you source the right size bushing and install.
Tooling for new cans and end pieces to fix the timing.

So you are proposing you make me throw away a couple hundred dollars in motors to save .08 on future motors?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

How much cheaper are you talking? $5? If you used bushing you would have a $70 motor instead of a $75 dollar motor? I'm not sure what type of cost breaks you're looking for.

Heck you can get an EZrun sensorless motor for $40...with bearings.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Tooling for new cans and end pieces to fix the timing.

So you are proposing you make me throw away a couple hundred dollars in motors to save .08 on future motors?
Checkpoint has a plastic end cap very cheap. No you dont have to get rid of your motors but at major events why not? local racing is local racing use your motors you have, you will buy more, im sure.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

This thread is ridiculous. We are proposing fixed timing (presumably to 0) which is what most people run anyway. So everyone in the hobby buys new motors to have exactly what we have now. All this and the thread creator can't explain what problem they are trying to solve??

ROAR, don't change a thing.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Checkpoint has a plastic end cap very cheap. No you dont have to get rid of your motors but at major events why not? local racing is local racing use your motors you have, you will buy more, im sure.

Team Checkpoint 17.5, $79.99...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWTV9&P=ML

(I was thinking about trying one of these...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.