Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CRC / Advanced Electronics Black Diamond Speedo - Ban due to cost?? >

CRC / Advanced Electronics Black Diamond Speedo - Ban due to cost??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRC / Advanced Electronics Black Diamond Speedo - Ban due to cost??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Im still running v189 is that the latest?
I believe it! I know a lot of people that run the older version on smaller carpet tracks. The latest firmware doesn't seem to have advantages on those type tracks.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+1

It can be argued both ways, advantage for having the firmware or blowing up speedo's
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
The other thing I heard at the Champs was that Tekin will not be able to catch up to the AE speedo with just a firmware update. They will have to change the board inside (at a minimum) to get the ESC to do what they need. If this is true, my guess would be that the current microcontroller on the board does not have enough memory to hold larger rpm/load/timing maps. (the electronic geeks out there will understand). Hopefully they will have an update/exchange program for current RS/Pro users. Of course, even if they don't, its easy to sell off existing RS/Pros to people who race offroad, where none of this speedo sillyness matters.
From what I heard, the biggest advantage to the latest LRP ESC was a built in voltage booster for the RX,servo,and PT. If this is true, then my guess is Tekin would have to do some sort of physical change to the RS series in order to compete with the LRP as far as features go.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Is the carpet down? did the boards go down and did they help?

Come on now you know how we do things. It's down, it's big, and it's fun!
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X1295...%3DdmvCnaCrnhM
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I found out why this new ESC is so expensive. After you race it you can take it out of your car and put it on your shoulders and it will give you a massage. Then after the race you can take it home and put on the pillow next to you and it will sing you a lullaby and put you to sleep.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

I heard that it fixes your setup issues as well, so I'm getting one.. LOL j/k
Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpeck
You won't be when a $400 speedo comes out for off-road that has some sort of "Traction Control" in it... I don't believe off-road is immune for this, as if an ESC can h.p. up for on-road, I'm sure it can be programmed/designed to h.p. down for off-road (i.e. traction control). Someone is probably already working on it.
Remember GM back in the day had an ESC with traction control?

It was actually BANNED from sanctioned racing because it was able to detect over yawing of the car and correct throttle input to compensate.
I'm not 100% sure if the steering servo was run thru the ESC as well to help counter steer the car as well.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
You are right, I do . But it seems to be a double standard. Leads me to believe the real reason for a ban is not the lack of availability. If that were the case Tekin drivers wouldn't use firmware in meaningful races that isn't available to the public.

Really not due to lack of availability. Were you at cleveland??? What went down was a absolute crime and people should get there money returned to them. They were forced to run against a speedo they def had a advantage and they couldnt get there hands on them. IT was really a shame. Im not here to bash AE speedo they did there homework but they should have been available to eveyone there to buy. Mr bill didnt step in because CRC was the title sponsor of they event. IM not bashing CRC either but they should have been more available. I dont want this to go down at my track so that is the reason why i did it. If anyone has any issues with it or want to discuss why i did it heres my number 9087704989.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Offroader's would first go out and spend $400 in tires and inserts, before they'd spend it on a speedo.
I believe the mamba makes a difference in stock 2S offroad.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Really not due to lack of availability. Were you at cleveland??? What went down was a absolute crime and people should get there money returned to them. They were forced to run against a speedo they def had a advantage and they couldnt get there hands on them. IT was really a shame. Im not here to bash AE speedo they did there homework but they should have been available to eveyone there to buy. Mr bill didnt step in because CRC was the title sponsor of they event. IM not bashing CRC either but they should have been more available. I dont want this to go down at my track so that is the reason why i did it. If anyone has any issues with it or want to discuss why i did it heres my number 9087704989.
I don't have an issue with what you did as I don't race there and no I wasn't at Cleveland. But I don't see the crime here. Or at least not something that hasn't happened in the past. Like I said. Tekin makes firmware available to their drivers that I can't get for months and those drivers use it in meaningful races. I have equal access to a BD ESC, I don't to Tekin's firmware. Which is the crime??

Im not meaning to bash Tekin. I have an RS and like it. It's just an example of the double standard of availability. For those of us that don't have a ESC sponsor this might be our opportunity to finally have something cutting edge.

Im really on the fence about the bans. The only things I've concluded is that its a potential mess (and sounds like it was at the Indoor Champs).
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

any videos of it in action?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
I don't have an issue with what you did as I don't race there and no I wasn't at Cleveland. But I don't see the crime here. Or at least not something that hasn't happened in the past. Like I said. Tekin makes firmware available to their drivers that I can't get for months and those drivers use it in meaningful races. I have access to a BD ESC, I don't to Tekin's firmware. Which is the crime??

Im not meaning to bash Tekin. I have an RS and like it. It's just an example of the double standard of availability. For those of us that don't have a ESC sponsor this might be our opportunity to finally have something cutting edge.

Im really on the fence about the bans. The only things I've concluded is that its a potential mess (and sounds like it was at the Indoor Champs).
V200 vegas was handed out at vegas and everyone could get there hands on it and it is the lastest firmware. And yes cleveland was a mess
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jeff

if AE were available for public would you buy one and race with them? or any other top level (all sponsered drivers as far as I know) driver would do that? I don't think you would or any of paid drivers would. then out come is same.

AE came out on top at iic and indoor race this year and Tekin LRP or the novak all got big homework to do to earn our next business.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

V200 vegas was handed out at vegas and everyone could get there hands on it and it is the lastest firmware. And yes cleveland was a mess
That's one of dozens of meaningful races. v199 was out for a long time to team drivers prior to vegas. Heck my track's Rubber TC class gets 3X the entries that the Champs got. It might be more meaningful to me than some of these "big" races.

We can agree to disagree. But I think prototype firmware not available to the public used in any race is worse than what the BD is doing.

Just my .02.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

UMM no i wouldnt i have access to one and im loyal to Tekin and thats what stayed in my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.