Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tekin vs lrp

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
13.5 rubber sedan indoor carpet. If the Tekin felt as good through the entire power band as an LRP, it would be the obvious choice. But whatever LRP is doing, it feels way more natural, and is well worth what they're asking. I hope LRP comes out with software updates, but as long as they can keep making ESC's that don't ignore the first 90% of the power band, they'll get my money every time.
The Tekin is using the total 100% of mine power band.
It's how you set it up.
Tekin needs a bit of fine tuning with the setup but as you now what you do it is faster than the SPX.
When you don't now how to setup the wright way the Tekin, than take a LRP.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

Having been a Tekin user in both TC and 1/12 for the last year I do enjoy the free updates and also the adjustability of the speedo. However I think because of that it also has hindered my driving since I spent too much time messing with the settings rather than focus on driving skills and chassis setup. I see the value of the LRP in picking a profile and running and focus on other things. I think that's probaly the bigger question in choice rather than cost since most people sell their old speedo to get a new one so it's a $100 a year.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
If you get a LRP, wait till the new one. You can't update it.
The thing with the Tekin at the moment (its what I use) that bothers me is that it seems to always be playing catch up. So its really wait for LRP to do something then wait even longer for Tekin to catch up. They never seem to leapfrog LRP and stay ahead of them. Plus the overall just too many settings to mess with. I must admit the setting of the throttle profile and just gearing sounds appealing.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Can I ask are the brakes bad on the Tekins? I am now running 13.5 TC and currently using the Nosram Pearl ISTC (Same as the SXX) this has amazing brakes and lets me run very competitively in with the 10.5 guys at our club!!

Also in the 13.5 and 10.5 whats are the gains in using the RS Pro?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 008-Racer
Can I ask are the brakes bad on the Tekins? I am now running 13.5 TC and currently using the Nosram Pearl ISTC (Same as the SXX) this has amazing brakes and lets me run very competitively in with the 10.5 guys at our club!!

Also in the 13.5 and 10.5 whats are the gains in using the RS Pro?

Thanks for your help
I have good brakes with my 2 favorite motors.
The Tekin and the LRP motor brake very well.
We must use a LRP motor by the races in Belgium so that's why I use a 10,5 LRP.
The speedpassion is the motor that I don't like but when I use a low Boost and a heavy gearing, the motor runs also fast and the brakes are also good.

How do you mean catchup when the Tekin is ad the moment faster than the SPX?
Also do I save a lot of money. each year you need a new speedo with LRP.
They can make also a speedo that you can update but don't do that because this way they can urn more money.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Legend

Cracks me up every time I hear reprogramming the profiles on a Tekin is being consider a "upgrade"......

When Tekin comes out with a new ESC ? That would be a upgrade...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Hotwire will cost you about $37, with free upgrades after purchase. LRP will cost you around $300 for every upgrade.
The SPX is only $165. Furthermore, most people who upgraded from the Sphere TC were able to sell their used speedos for $100 or more. So it's only a $65 upgrade.

I personally have never seen a Tekin RS keep up with SPX laptimes. The Tekin might be able to hit the same top speed on the straights, but to do so you will not have as much rip as the SPX.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

i just wish LRP would also include SPX profiles 7 & 8 (or one of them) on the SXX TC-spec. That way i could use their best speedy for 10.5 and mod instead of buying both. I go thru a hell of a lot of servo tape changing over!!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameover
i just wish LRP would also include SPX profiles 7 & 8 (or one of them) on the SXX TC-spec. That way i could use their best speedy for 10.5 and mod instead of buying both. I go thru a hell of a lot of servo tape changing over!!
Try using Velcro or 3m dual lock.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I wish LRP would adopt the Tekin style power and motor connections. I cannot replace the wires on my LRP without removing it from the car first. Not something that needs to be done often, but it's pesky.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Guys, I have been reading the threads and just when I feel that Tekin is the way to go (updates thru the Hotwire vs. buying a new esc), then somebody shoots it down and makes me wonder if lrp isn't the way to go. This isn't a cheap buy, so I would like to just do it once and that is what sells me on Tekin. Can you really go wrong with one or the other ?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i'm still going to say they're equal. look at it this way, at the classic the tekin was tq but the lrp won the race (13.5t rubber touring). that says equal to me.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, but like others have said, software updates are not a true upgrade. It just masks the fact that the RS was not ready when it was released. Also, constant software updates can only go so far and is not going to change the fact that new hardware makes old hardware obsolete.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, but like others have said, software updates are not a true upgrade. It just masks the fact that the RS was not ready when it was released. Also, constant software updates can only go so far and is not going to change the fact that new hardware makes old hardware obsolete.
Well put.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
I agreed both can be good in right hands but disagreed with everything else you mentioned.

I believe software upgrade IS upgrade too, like a computer hardwares, upgrades on firmware or driver can boost performance, noticeably, RS or SPX was READY products for that date of release, you not going to wait till next year for your products release cause there might be better soft or hardware available in the future.

constant software change will take you as far as software can it is better than stuck with a single software cause there is no I/O connector on your ESC.

the LRP sold diffrent version of ESC for their sphere TC after a few years of thier realeased and some of us had to go buy a new one cause of new 3 additional profiles, with the Tekin those upgrades are only a few clicks away.

now tell me thats not a TRUE upgrade.

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 11-23-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.