Wiki Posts
Search

tekin vs lrp

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i'm still going to say they're equal. look at it this way, at the classic the tekin was tq but the lrp won the race (13.5t rubber touring). that says equal to me.
lol, that says DRIVER to me...
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

I don't think you can deny that the RS software updates only recently brought that speedo up to par. I do agree an I/O interface is something the LRP lacks, but in this case the Tekin would have never even been in the same ballpark as the LRP if it weren't for the updates.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
I don't think you can deny that the RS software updates only recently brought that speedo up to par. I do agree an I/O interface is something the LRP lacks, but in this case the Tekin would have never even been in the same ballpark as the LRP if it weren't for the updates.
and they picking up momentum very rapidly!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
lol, that says DRIVER to me...
my point is with some of the best drivers at the wheel putting up the same lap times with different equipment, it should tell you that they're equal.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, but like others have said, software updates are not a true upgrade. It just masks the fact that the RS was not ready when it was released. Also, constant software updates can only go so far and is not going to change the fact that new hardware makes old hardware obsolete.
The Tekin RS released up against the LRP Sphere TC. At release the 1.80 software on the Tekin was just fine to compete with the Sphere TC. As times changed Tekin updated the software to allow adjustable timing (v189) and then later boost timing (v200) to compete with the LRP model changes.

Your summation that the Tekin RS was not ready to compete with the other ESC's in its class almost 2 years ago is pretty wrong and seems to lack any sense of informed knowledge.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

spx is the $hit far better then tekin.Tekin always has so called bugs in there soft ware but what they are trying to say is where crap and still cant make a good speedies.oh and i have owned two tekin rs pro and could never get brakes to work with both and tried every thing. got a spx and not a problem since.

Last edited by Kraig; 11-24-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Please use appropriate language next time.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i'm going to say the esc's are equal in performance but there are differences.

spx is buy it and run it (onboard programming)

rs/rs pro buy it, buy hot wire, buy computer, download software updates, then run it. (sure you don't need to do all this to get the car running but to stay competitive you probably will).

another thing to keep in mind, with the spx you'll be buying the hot new lrp esc every release date (sxx stock spec is coming soon), with the tekin you'll just download the new software for free (until they make a new esc).
maybe. but if you're posting on this board, you already have a computer so you're already halfway there. and I haven't yet seen someone at the track without a laptop. Have a look at the netbooks nowadays. they're about 180 bucks give or take, and will run the hotwire software.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Cracks me up every time I hear reprogramming the profiles on a Tekin is being consider a "upgrade"......

When Tekin comes out with a new ESC ? That would be a upgrade...
Hardwarewise I don't think you can be competitive if you're out of date, so I suppose every other ESC on the market is on par, i.e. they probably use the same MOSFETS, processor, etc. Beyond that it is a matter of option, if you want to write your own profile you're free to do it with the Tekin, if you don't you can just buy the LRP and they'll do it for you. Don't think that affects the ultimate performance either is capable of though. My personal preference goes to Tekin only for challenging me to understand how things work and making me think a bit before I choose one setting or another. Basically I can choose what the car will do at each point along the track where I race, knowing exactly when I will enter the corner, chicane, the sweeper and main straight. I like this personal challenge and I am sure there's even more to get out of it than I already did. Fun times ahead.

Last edited by niznai; 11-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Legend

Out of the box factory settings with a SXX is about two years ahead of the Tekin considering feel & performance...

No Hot wire & guessing needed...

Can't count how all the time I see Tekin users reprogramming their profiles...

Is it really a benefit if the product has to be retuned over & over ?

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 11-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The RS was launched against the Lrp TC spec esc, and was competitive. The RS has not needed hardware updates to run with the other speedos that have been released since then. The Spx came to the table with new features that created the need for the RS to be upgraded with new software to stay competitive,period.

Both speedo's are capable of winning on any given day when setup properly. But you cannot argue that to continue getting the latest profiles through most companies you're going to continue to spend money getting them.

With any of the current Tekin speedos you get to choose the level software you run at as well as having access to the latest updates and customer support with no ongoing costs...

We will update/upgrade the RS's hardware when it's required. Right now it's a software game for us. We spec the Rs and all of the current Tekin speedos with leading edge components and designs.......for racing today and into tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Out of the box factory settings with a SXX is about two years ahead of the Tekin considering feel & performance...

No Hot wire & guessing needed...

Can't count how all the time I see Tekin users reprogramming their profiles...

Guessing is for people who don't understand what they're doing.

If you're bothered by tuning something over and over you'd be better off buying a static display kit.

I think you either missed the point of being able to define your own ESC settings or have something personal against the idea. Either way, not helpful.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

The RS is an awesome esc. I just wished I had TOTAL control over it with my pc. Yes there are many interesting variables to mess with but not enough for me though. Still love it to bits.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Not really sure what you're saying by that, returning to a computer with a hotwire to change a few parameters is not costing you anything, execpt the time to find your ideal settings

The more adjustable/updatable an esc is, the more future proof it is. A lot better in my eyes than having to return it to the manufacturer, or replace it.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Just ordered a SPX for the record. I wanted to get a RS but I couldn't afford the laptop.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
The RS is an awesome esc. I just wished I had TOTAL control over it with my pc. Yes there are many interesting variables to mess with but not enough for me though. Still love it to bits.
Like the KO all of the turbo speedys should be like this.

Rod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.