Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRCA Go Open Lipo @ 1350g for Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I prolly should have mentioned that achiving the weight limit is not hard for me. With my recent change of electronics my chassis weighs in at 1380 balanced on rubberz with no ti screws and a full size servo. My problem is there are many budget racers out there running chassis like the ta05 which even with options weighs about the same as a brick. Lipo gave everyone the chance to be very equal in terms of weight and brushless makes us all even with power. Why would you want to change that for the average racer who already has enough trouble explaining the cost of racing to their other half or parents?
Because if you're a budget racer, it won't make much difference whether your car weights 1350g or 1400g. I'd be surprised if the difference in laptimes are more than 1/10th.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Everyone is talking about wether or not they are going to make the limit or not.

I ask myself will the racing be anny better?

I think not. All you get is more traction roll and cars that is more dependable on the aero quallities of the body.

more grip and same or worse center of gravity is no god.

expect air time in gusts too. 1/10 track is allready airborne if conditions are right.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
Everyone is talking about wether or not they are going to make the limit or not.

I ask myself will the racing be anny better?

I think not. All you get is more traction roll and cars that is more dependable on the aero quallities of the body.

more grip and same or worse center of gravity is no god.

expect air time in gusts too. 1/10 track is allready airborne if conditions are right.
Less weight means less strain on drivetrain, tires and electronics. Most mod drivers (top drivers) use a 5.0-5.5t motor in modified with lipo and it works great (indoor, carpet). I think Andy Moore drove a 6.5t at the last ETS. You can always push the limits with hotter motors but itīs not driveable. A motor limit always makes things more expensive (special rotors and such).

A balanced car @ 1370-1380g will always run better than a un-balanced car @ 1350 g.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen

A balanced car @ 1370-1380g will always run better than a un-balanced car @ 1350 g.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Without trying to slam the Mi3.5. You won't achieve 1500g on it running cells, Are you saying that 1500g was too low a limit for Nimh? No you're not, so why are you so bothered with the new lower limit?

EVERY other top end chassis on the market will make 1350g. and even if they can only make 1370g, that's what I'll be running my car at anyway just to be safe.
What on earth are you on about, i dont use nimhs. Dont ask me a question and then answer it yourself that has completely nothing to do with what im on about.

You dont know that every other top end chassis will make it + theres already quite a few people in the thread stating theyre over.

I honestly think youre a bit dense if you cant see where im coming from.

Personally i think it should be at around 1400g that way everyone can be close, a number of chassis are covered new and old and no one gets an unfair advantage and you dont have to put a ton of weight on your car win win.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

I think his point, is that for the main part, this rule is merely taking into account the weight difference of a 6 cell NiMh pack vs LiPo pack. To get this technically spot on, the limit may have had to be more like 1375 - but i think that's kind of splitting hairs.

As one of those that voted for this, i'm quite happy and think it's the right way to go. My Mi4 with probably the heaviest ESC, heavy servo, 60% steel screws and pins but with Light body weighs 1330. so I still need weight.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Everyone can add weight, not everyone can reduce weight. That's how I look at it. The thing people are forgetting about comparing to NiMh is that the cars we are running assumed that extra 150g would be there. So a lot of it still needs to be added to achieve balance. I really struggled to get my TC5 balanced and down to 1420. I doubt I could get down to 1350 without making major changes (things like removing the kydex lower bumper and shaving down the bumper, more Ti parts - already have Ti CVD and Layshaft). I already have a Stealth PT, low profile servo, small ESC and RX, and 13 gauge wire to motor).

That said, I don't run mod or in BRCA races so it doesn't really matter to me. Will be interested to see what ROAR does for its stock classes.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ritchie T
What on earth are you on about, i dont use nimhs. Dont ask me a question and then answer it yourself that has completely nothing to do with what im on about.

You dont know that every other top end chassis will make it + theres already quite a few people in the thread stating theyre over.

I honestly think youre a bit dense if you cant see where im coming from.

Personally i think it should be at around 1400g that way everyone can be close, a number of chassis are covered new and old and no one gets an unfair advantage and you dont have to put a ton of weight on your car win win.
I don't have time to explain to you since you're so keen on whining.

If you didn't want 1350 then you should have gone to the AGM. Since it doesn't seem like you were, then I suggest you get on with it.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Best get the drill out Ritchie... Vroom vroooooom

Mine as it is now all balanced up at 1355g

and as a comparison, how it was before:

Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

No weight limit at the LRP Cup either, you make me sick
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Suspended

I'm sure there will be a weight limit, suppose we have to discuss it now the brca have changed their rules!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

I spoke to Mr Bird and he said there isnt one!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I also voted for this, I've been running my 416WE at 1350g since it was built a month or so ago... and it is soo much better to drive. The cars actually respond better on track, and yes, are a little quicker too. Not had any issues with traction roll either.

As for the car, and how to get it balanced, well... have a look here
Balancing a 416. I've only had to add 20g to the car, and on the tweak board the other night, all the car required was a quater turn on the RR shock to get it balanced... would exactly say thats miles out

Ed
Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Spooky, thats exactly what i've done to mine

20g and a quarter turn on the right rear shock..

oooooooooooo eerie
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish Roar would go to 1350g. That would be awesome. The less lead I have to stick to the chassis the better. I have to add 63g to my BD5 to get it to Roars 1420g. And that's with a heavy esc, regular body, and a motor fan. Would be interesting to see how new car designs will be next year. Probably just flipping the pulleys around like others are starting to do. Or back to saddle packs... 414 with 416 suspension anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.