Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
The first was a full on fire and ESC meltdown until the battery was unplugged by a marshal, caused a bit of melting on the receiver box and some damage to the chassis and body shell.

The second was a fire on the transorb circuit on the power cap. This also stopped once I unplugged the battery. Slight burning damage to the battery.

I'm on my 3rd and final Kinetic. If this one goes the replacement will be on Ebay faster than you can say what's that smell.

Check the Novak site for the product warning about the cap being wired in backwards on the power cap board. I had one that was backwards that never actually blew up, but definitely in backwards. You can fix it yourself or get a replacement from Novak, they have a pictorial on the process for fixing it. Again Novak will fix you up just contact them.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Check the Novak site for the product warning about the cap being wired in backwards on the power cap board. I had one that was backwards that never actually blew up, but definitely in backwards. You can fix it yourself or get a replacement from Novak, they have a pictorial on the process for fixing it. Again Novak will fix you up just contact them.
It was the old style capacitor and transorb circuit plus I checked and it wasn't on backwards.

I did contact Charlie and he and Novak Customer services were great. They had a replacement shipped out and it was with me in a week from America.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Rookie

It will be nice to see if this speedo can hang with the SPX/RS/BMC, I would love to see more competition out there for stock touring speedos.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Try turning the car on before you switch on the Transmitter. We've found this same issue with certain "boot up times" from different receivers and will be addressing this.
Hey,

Tried this method the week-end. Worked every time.
Must be the receiver I'm running, another driver running the same receiver as me has the same problem. But there's a third running another brand of receiver have zero issues.

Great to have a solution to this. Before you could be switching on the car on and off a number of times before the lights would come on the speedo. But speedo first then radio, worked first time every time!!

(Speedo on first goes against everything I was thought starting off in RC!)

MiCk B. :-)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Kinetic 2S:Ruining most recent firmware and data corruption prevention switch

1. Does anybody else have to flip the power switch multiple times to get the LED's to come on? What usually happens is that I flip the switch and the esc will power the fan and servo but no esc lights. I've tried several different power switches (all Novak units) but the problem persists. It can take 10 - 15
attempts before it'll work.

Novaklink

1. Does your Novalink software crash when you try to adjust the timing curve?
2. Can you set timing advance to anything less than 15%? Nor will the software let me turn the boost on unless timing is set to 15%.

Ballistic 550 9.5

1. What is this motors RPM range? I know it's rated as a 2250KV motor but if I'm trying to set RPM trip points for this motor it helps to know the range and I'm not sure the default (from the drop down) 10.5 2S setting is close enough.

Speaking of which anybody have a profile or settings for one that would help eliminate wheel spin on a track with lose dirt / low traction but still provide for some decent speed/punch for getting over some jumps without the rear end wanting to step out? Yes I know...throttle control...tires...suspension setup and last but not least loosen the slipper. Got all of that set as good as it's going to get but I'm trying to hit the power sweet spot.
Q1: Yes, all the time I have this problem. Usually not to the extent you mention however. Usually , if it doesn't connect after one or to flips. I will close the software and reopen it and it will work. The optional switch setup does not fix the problem.

Novalink Crash: Ok, when does it crash? Does the program shut down or seem to go to a blank screen and go no where? I have seen the screen "lock up" but the changes are still applied if you exit and go back in.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can I mount the Trans Cap Module anywhere on the +/- battery leads? I figure any distance away from the ESC is like adding lead length to the cap module, but my set-up is a TIGHT fit and it might work better if I put it on the leads instead of the bottom of the ESC tabs.

Other option is to solder the cap leads so they line up with the tabs and the cap comes out the side instead of the back, if you follow me. But with this option I'm worried about a short since the cap leads will be transverse under the motor tabs as well.

Any input?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

looks like 1.4.2 has sorted things out for most of us. I know i am super happy with it. how about we post some set ups for people to test out and compare.
It would be interesting to see where everyone is at..

ballistic 17.5
motor timing 25
start 6800
end 13800
52 timing
boost 500ms
15 min drv
7 drv frq
0 drg brake
fdr 5.7
90ft straight techical infield
40% thr expo
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Wow... can I ask why are you running 40% expo? Just curious.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Wow... can I ask why are you running 40% expo? Just curious.
it provides a very aggressive throtlle feel. the car seems to respond much faster especialy on med-high traction tracks. i would never run this with a mod but in 17.5 it seems to be the way to go....well for my driving style anyways
Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ed517
looks like 1.4.2 has sorted things out for most of us. I know i am super happy with it. how about we post some set ups for people to test out and compare.
It would be interesting to see where everyone is at..

ballistic 17.5
motor timing 25
start 6800
end 13800
52 timing
boost 500ms
15 min drv
7 drv frq
0 drg brake
fdr 5.7
90ft straight techical infield
40% thr expo
What car, TC, or something else and what FDR or roll out?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

TC6
FDR is listed 5.7
Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ed517
it provides a very aggressive throtlle feel. the car seems to respond much faster especialy on med-high traction tracks. i would never run this with a mod but in 17.5 it seems to be the way to go....well for my driving style anyways
hey ed what track has a 90ft straight? dont tell billy that
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ed, thanks for helping Rich out with my car last week, just be sure to be at Reedy so you can help me too
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
Ed, thanks for helping Rich out with my car last week, just be sure to be at Reedy so you can help me too
No problem, that car of yours handled like a dream, i just found the sweet spot power wise! Rich easly motored every one on the straight and infield(18-20 cars in the class) it was tire issues that killed his hopes for the win.
I will be at Reedy to help anyone using Novak motors and esc's. Come by and say "hey". i have been at Norcal almost everyweek testing so this year we should be strong!!.....

PS..Rich- I will only share my set up with you as long as you promise not to pass me! lol
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JayL
hey ed what track has a 90ft straight? dont tell billy that
That was the set up i used at Ripon. I ran the same times as the mod guys with these setting. only Brandon Clements with a 4.5 was able to get to a 13.8 on practice day. My best was 14.2 with a 17.5. most other 17.5 drivers struggled to get into the 14's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.