Search

TC3 vs. Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default In my opinion

My girl friend drives a Factory Team AE, I have a XXX-s
both these cars are VERY capible!
Basicly, I would base your opinion off of your friends cars or the knowledge of the people you will be asking advice of.
Based off of the cars in my stable, the TC3 seems to run well even is the set up is a bit off.
The XXX-S needs to be fine tuned to the track.
In a Nutshell, the TC3 if its your first ever sedan, and if not... I would sugguest you flip a quarter.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

The TC3 is a great first car. I will say this because it is the one and only Touring Car I have owned. I have learned a lot from it. I have not driven the xxx-s so I have nothing to say about it. But I know from my own experience that the TC3 is a great first car.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Let your wife make the decision. That will help you when you're preparing the budget for the inevitable extras you'll add to the car.

Additionally, if you're going to pop for $600 for a kit, tires, charger, etc. she won't feel she has to spend the same amount of money at something ridiculous like the spa.

YJ
Old 02-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

TC3 was my first TC too, and also I've learned lot from it, driving wise and setting up wise. Yet the only bad thing I have found about the car is that it turns a very wide radius out of corner.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i have both cars and i like them equally. i mostly run the tc3 for mod because its pretty tough and i rarely replace parts, except for the spur gear when it gets fouled up. for stock, i run the xxx-s and it works great in our unmaintained asphalt track bec. of the sealed drivetrain. ive been running the losi for 2 mos with very minimal wear on the belt, outdrives, and diffs.
if you can, try test driving both cars on the track and get whichever feels better. and also keep in mind the parts support from your lhs.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Mike, I'm sure Trinity would try to sell you the Losi also, but I would suggest calling Losi

redsand, that was probably setup, I'm sure you could dial that out.

Since you are buying them used, I would look at the electronics, and research those. Which'ever has the better electronics, go for it. Otherwise, if it was me I would get the XXXS because it is newer, but that is just my opinion.

Speedo
Old 02-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

R_Anderson,
I've owned both cars and I have to say I like the XXX-S better. The XXX-S has more tuning options like adjustable roll centers for front and rear, more anti-squat options for the rear, more kick-up options for the front, more toe-in options for the rear, more total caster options for the front, the front and rear of the car has adjustable wheelbase where as the TC3 only has adjustable rear wheelbase, more springs rates espescially for low-bite conditions, more piston options for the shocks, more shock mounting locations for the rear shocks on the arms as well as the shock towers for both the front and rear, it comes with an optional pulley(differential) for an optional internal gear ratio and the car will accept any pinion size where as the TC3 will only go so high and then you have to change spurs. Now as for strength, the XXX-S has thicker hinge pins front and rear and the material Losi uses for the parts is incredibly strong. As far as performance, the tc3 is extremely powerful out of corner's(if it doesn't push), but so is the XXX-S(I can't get it to push). I've been racing this XXX-S since August of last year and I beleive I've made a good investment on a race-proven car. Hope this helps and good racing!

Last edited by webspinner; 02-28-2002 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree with other on this thread saying it depends on what the other guys at your local track drives. I would say this is the single most important thing. I bought a XXX-S October last year. Since then I have been the only one running that car(Stockholm, Sweden). I have had nobody to talk setups and other things with all winter. The car is great, it handles well and I think it certanly can win races(as the pros has proved), but if I could go back in time I probably chose a TC3 since a lot of (fast) guys running it in sweden. I think it will be a different story next season though(we only race electric Touring cars on carpet in the winter), after all the success Losi has had, I guess some guys will switch to Losi.....

/TeeJay
Old 03-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Speedo
Mike, I'm sure Trinity would try to sell you the Losi also, but I would suggest calling Losi

Speedo
my bad, I meant to say Losi
Old 03-01-2002, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I wasn't so sure, LOL...Trinity will sell which ever car is winning
Old 03-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking i like the tc3

i believe the tc3 is better in quality, and handling. it is very easy to learn especially if your new to the sport. anyway why would it have been picked CAR OF THE YEAR of it wasn't good!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

The TC3 is definately good, but I wouldn't go with what the magazines say, especially RCCA. Magazines write what will make money, if saying the TC3 is great makes money, they will do it. Much at is in RCCA is biased. That dosen't mean it isn't worth reading, just be careful about what you believe
Old 03-04-2002, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I've decided to go with the XXX-S and should be picking it up later this week.

Thanks again,
Rob