Wiki Posts
Search

best for drifting??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GC StReeT DRiFT
They are exactly the same thing, put them side by side and the only thing different is the HPI branding, parts are exactly the same, and are easy to get.

Have not have one problem with it as yet, its been drifting great.
not saying there is anything wrong with them. i'm actually thinking about grabbing one of each.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Are there any good kits that would be lipo ready? I'd like to get long run times. Im not opposed to buying a kit and putting my own electronics in it but a RTR would be nice also. This is my first drift car so specs on motor size etc would be nice as well. Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i got a tc5... hopefully i can figure it out. lol
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by midwestcajun
Are there any good kits that would be lipo ready? I'd like to get long run times. Im not opposed to buying a kit and putting my own electronics in it but a RTR would be nice also. This is my first drift car so specs on motor size etc would be nice as well. Thanks
any electric on road car can be used for drifting. it's the tyres that help you get your slide on.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

if you just want something to play with, go to amianhobbies.com and search for the team losi drift-r, its $229 and its a rtr.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

would a 17 turn motor be the best choice? I'd like to get brushless and lipo ready esc so I can have longer run times. Any recommendations? Im thinking LRP since sensored would be the best option due to the finite throttle control needed.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

would a 17 turn motor be the best choice? I'd like to get brushless and lipo ready esc so I can have longer run times. Any recommendations? Im thinking LRP since sensored would be the best option due to the finite throttle control needed.
i'm very heavily into rc drifting, and most of the time, the popular motors are 10.5 and 8.5 brushless motors. many also use 7.5. i also know a couple of people that use 13.5 (mainly beginners)

chassis: anything you like. if you like associated, go tc5. but any 4wd shaft or belt driven cars will work fine if you can tune it correctly, and drive it.
any brushless system would work, but i recommend going sensored due to the fact that drifting needs lots of throttle control, both high and low. definitely go novak, lrp, or what i use is speedpassion.
tires: type Ts for almsot any surface. long lasting, and nice grip/slip ratio

here is a basic setup that i usually start out with on any chassis
front
shock oil: 25-30wt oil
springs: super soft to soft
camber: -2
toe: 0
shock tower position: most outermost mounting hole
arm position: middle, or outermost hole
ball diff- tight, but not locked

rear
springs: super soft or soft
camber: -1
toe: -2.0 to -3.0
shock tower position: 2nd to last/inner most hole
spool

the point of this basic setup is to basically achieve stability, but still have the car able to transition smoothly without understeer, or the use of braking to the point where you lose a significant amount of speed. if you dont understand what i mean, you'll get it once you start tandeming with others, and if you slow down significantly, the chase car is going to be all over you, or you're going to fall behind in a tandem.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

great info and I do understand what you mean. Thnks a lot..this is very helpful. The tc5 is a little more than what I was wanting to spend but we'll see.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC Guru
i'm very heavily into rc drifting, and most of the time, the popular motors are 10.5 and 8.5 brushless motors. many also use 7.5. i also know a couple of people that use 13.5 (mainly beginners)

chassis: anything you like. if you like associated, go tc5. but any 4wd shaft or belt driven cars will work fine if you can tune it correctly, and drive it.
any brushless system would work, but i recommend going sensored due to the fact that drifting needs lots of throttle control, both high and low. definitely go novak, lrp, or what i use is speedpassion.

front

rear
spool

the point of this basic setup is to basically achieve stability, but still have the car able to transition smoothly without understeer, or the use of braking to the point where you lose a significant amount of speed. if you dont understand what i mean, you'll get it once you start tandeming with others, and if you slow down significantly, the chase car is going to be all over you, or you're going to fall behind in a tandem.
when you say "soft or supersoft" for the springs, what color would that be for say associated brand shocks?? im deployed in iraq and about to go home on leave and i want to make sure i have everything needed to try this out, waiting on me when i get there...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Are TL-01 chassis any good for drifting?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TA03F will ALWAYS be the best drifter, as they have the motor in FRONT of the front wheels, giving excellent steering. you can hold opposite lock on one of these suckers way longer and better than anything else ever made!

very very simple to set up aswell, and all parts are still available online, and a few aftermarkets still make parts as they're so popular. they were even banned in the UK rc drift comps!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by redzone
TA03F will ALWAYS be the best drifter, as they have the motor in FRONT of the front wheels, giving excellent steering. you can hold opposite lock on one of these suckers way longer and better than anything else ever made!

very very simple to set up aswell, and all parts are still available online, and a few aftermarkets still make parts as they're so popular. they were even banned in the UK rc drift comps!
wow. so that must mean its the best if it was banned!!!
and i see your rather new to this site.... and so you dont end up getting kicked off you may want to read the rules on signatures. bc yours violates the rules...
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Initiate

front

rear
spool

Thanks for your input mate thats very useful.

Seems like ive minced the original gearbox in the copy Pro D so im looking at replacing it with stronger gearbox, probly the original HPI gears. Any ideas on where i could find these online?

Also im running a 4wd shaft drive system in my Pro D. Im not sure what u mean about spooling the rear? Its locked at the moment, and the fronts are open.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

best for drifting??-picture-241.jpg

It may be banned competitively, but its not banned for personal use.

The TA03F is hands down the best drift car "BOX STOCK" around. I had that friggen $500 Hpi pro-d, 10 turn Team Orion w/ Novak Dually.. Didn't drift near as good as the 03F w/ the same electronics.. Another good chassis is the Losi Steet Weapon XX-4 or the Losi JRXS Type S.. The JRXS has a swwweeeet looking Carbon Fiber Chassis. Good luck finding any of them though. I know ebay has a TA03F for $99 buy it now. & I have a XX-4 w/ all Novak Electronics listed up. Its in new condition with a 10 Turn Reedy & Novak Atom ESC nice car. Check em out!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

the drift tyres wear flat to whatever camber you have,
Does that negate the camber effect??