R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Silver Can versus 21.5 Brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/329343-silver-can-versus-21-5-brushless.html)

jolson88 09-21-2009 12:13 AM

Silver Can versus 21.5 Brushless

Anybody know how closely matched a typical silver can motor is to a 21.5 brushless? I'm currently running silver can in one of our local classes but am thinking of going brushless (at this point, merely for maintenance (or lack thereof)). But I'm hesitant if it won't allow me to be as competitive (yes, the class rules allow the use of either).

Also, is there a good 21.5 brushless that works sensorless. I currently have a Mamba Max ESC and would like to continue to use that so I don't have to drop money on a new ESC as well (though it's in my future plans to get a great sensored ESC)? Would the Duo/Duo2 work with me and my Mamba Max?

Thanks all!

Cribbin 09-21-2009 01:38 AM

hi,

a 21.5 walks all over the 540 by about a second a lap. over here we have done lots of testing on this matter, and there is no way a 540 can keep up. if you have rules that allow both, the pack should be split right down the middle...

cheers

Pablo Diablo 09-21-2009 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by jolson88 (Post 6371613)
Also, is there a good 21.5 brushless that works sensorless. I currently have a Mamba Max ESC and would like to continue to use that so I don't have to drop money on a new ESC as well (though it's in my future plans to get a great sensored ESC)? Would the Duo/Duo2 work with me and my Mamba Max?

Thanks all!

NO! sensorless only works with low turns motors. Even a 10.5 will struggle to run well sensorless. A 21.5 on a sensorless speedo would be asking for trouble.

jolson88 09-21-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cribbin (Post 6371684)
hi,

a 21.5 walks all over the 540 by about a second a lap. over here we have done lots of testing on this matter, and there is no way a 540 can keep up. if you have rules that allow both, the pack should be split right down the middle...

cheers

Thanks Cribbin! Do you think that increased power would only show up if using Lipo? What if I were using NiMH? I'm trying to prioritize whether to go Lipo first, or 21.5+speedo first :).

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
NO! sensorless only works with low turns motors. Even a 10.5 will struggle to run well sensorless. A 21.5 on a sensorless speedo would be asking for trouble.

Thanks Pablo! I'll add a new sensored speedo to my list as well :).

RonF 09-21-2009 12:59 PM

I would ask Castle first, as Im looking at getting a sidewinder for F1, but would also like to run the 17.5-21.5 if F1 goes that way.

I believe the newer updated software might make a difference?

FK05 lover 09-21-2009 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jolson88 (Post 6373239)
Thanks Cribbin! Do you think that increased power would only show up if using Lipo? What if I were using NiMH? I'm trying to prioritize whether to go Lipo first, or 21.5+speedo first.

My suggestion...
Buy two quality Lipo's first (should last you 6mths easy),
Then pick up a 2nd hand LRP sphere + a new LRP 21.5
This combo is most effective at our track still

dragracer72nova 09-21-2009 02:53 PM

I would think if you keep the 21.5 motor to a one motor rule it should be pretty close in performance. There is alot of silver can voodoo out there to make HP.
Dave

FK05 lover 09-21-2009 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova (Post 6374129)
I would think if you keep the 21.5 motor to a one motor rule it should be pretty close in performance. There is alot of silver can voodoo out there to make HP.
Dave

It's not the motor that makes the performance with this 21.5 class, it's the ESC, trust me when I say we have done extensive testing on this! :nod:

dragracer72nova 09-21-2009 03:00 PM

I know what you mean. The new speedo will make anything come alive! From what I saw last year with motors was a Speed Passion 21.5 vs a Novak 21.5 day and night difference. The Speed Passion had a lot of rip!

If it comes down to make the people with the new speedo's change there settings to the first profiles. Rob King has been testing this for the USVTA.

I would love to see a 21.5 Sedan class.
Dave

FK05 lover 09-21-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova (Post 6374159)
I know what you mean. The new speedo will make anything come alive! From what I saw last year with motors was a Speed Passion 21.5 vs a Novak 21.5 day and night difference. The Speed Passion had a lot of rip!

If it comes down to make the people with the new speedo's change there settings to the first profiles. Rob King has been testing this for the USVTA.

I would love to see a 21.5 Sedan class.
Dave

We run it as a TC class
I've got two set-up's
1/ LRP Sphere with LRP motor... which with the right rollout no one passes on the straight
2/ Tekin RS with Tekin motor which at our home track has passed 17.5's on the straight..."Woohoo"

I'm for not placing restrictions on motor/esc or rollout for this class...:nod:

jolson88 09-21-2009 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by FK05 lover (Post 6374110)
My suggestion...
Buy two quality Lipo's first (should last you 6mths easy),
Then pick up a 2nd hand LRP sphere + a new LRP 21.5
This combo is most effective at our track still

Excellent! Thanks FK05 lover. This helps my decision making process tremendously. Now the next thing is just whether to "risk" going cheap from Hobby City or go the quality route (with good support) like SMC/Reedy/etc :).

:tire::tire:

fleetmaster 09-21-2009 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by FK05 lover (Post 6374190)
We run it as a TC class
I've got two set-up's
1/ LRP Sphere with LRP motor... which with the right rollout no one passes on the straight
2/ Tekin RS with Tekin motor which at our home track has passed 17.5's on the straight..."Woohoo"

I'm for not placing restrictions on motor/esc or rollout for this class...:nod:

Cheater cough cough ,lol. Its the third cell that lands the killer blow......
Seriously though,once you go brushless, you'll never use brushed again.
Just charge and go !

The 21.5 is very tractable power. The looser the track ,the closer to 17.5 imho.
I use an SPX and Novak, but will look to getting a Duo 2 in the future.

Buy one DECENT lipo, recharge between rounds. Two cheap lipo packs are no substitute.
I like the Intellect cells best.

burnineyes 09-21-2009 05:51 PM

Hobbycity Lipos are no longer on the list of "budget" packs. They simply do not overcharge for the same products. They do have a few products that have poor history, but they do not hide it on the site. Its easy to read the reviews before making a purchase and know you are getting a quality product. On the other hand some companies are STILL charging 3 times as much for customer service, while over and over you see useless packs still showing up.

Check with CC about running the 21.5 on your Mamba Max, I know many of the updates are just for this reason. I have never used more than a 17.5, but I had trouble with older firmware, and great luck with the later versions.

FK05 lover 09-21-2009 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jolson88 (Post 6374283)
Excellent! Thanks FK05 lover. This helps my decision making process tremendously. Now the next thing is just whether to "risk" going cheap from Hobby City or go the quality route (with good support) like SMC/Reedy/etc :).
:tire::tire:

"The joy of saving a few dollars is always overwhelmed buy the sour taste left in the mouth from poor quality"...:nod:

Originally Posted by fleetmaster (Post 6374540)
Cheater cough cough ,lol. Do you still have that pinapple?

I like the Intellect cells best...Glad to see you get something right..:lol:

fleetmaster 09-21-2009 06:23 PM

Don't waste time with a sensorless esc. Once you gear up to be competitive ,
It will cog like crazy , and IF it gets off the mark, you will encounter rotor slip on corner exit.
I have tried !!
As for Hobby City gear, it has its place,just not in RACE cars.
I own some of their lipo packs and they DON'T compare. Sorry.