Like Tree1568Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TOADYY
Short stack
Any more details on why?

My understanding is that there's a little less wire in a short stack, so it's basically like a "13.25T", with a bit more power, right? In what situation would it possibly be better to run the normal one?!?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xps800doo
how many current companies are making 235mm kits? thinking about putting one on the track this year for champs... i can only find maybe a handful at best...
There are at least 6 SpeedMerchant Roadkill 10s in Madison.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Any more details on why?

My understanding is that there's a little less wire in a short stack, so it's basically like a "13.25T", with a bit more power, right? In what situation would it possibly be better to run the normal one?!?
Not exactly. The stator is a little shorter which will result in little less torque with higher RPM. Which is what we want for our lightweight pan cars. The wire wrap will still be 13.5T.

Watch video this he shows you the measurement between a short and regular stack motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9LwWAEBX2g
Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TOADYY
Not exactly. The stator is a little shorter which will result in little less torque with higher RPM. Which is what we want for our lightweight pan cars. The wire wrap will still be 13.5T.
Yes, what I mean is that since the stator is a bit shorter, it takes a bit less wire to do 13 and a half turns around it.

A bit less torque and more RPM is what I expected, wondering if there's an effect on overall power, or if it's just a different trade-off? I'm guessing there's an effect, because we can just change the rollout to trade RPM for torque already...
Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes, what I mean is that since the stator is a bit shorter, it takes a bit less wire to do 13 and a half turns around it.

A bit less torque and more RPM is what I expected, wondering if there's an effect on overall power, or if it's just a different trade-off? I'm guessing there's an effect, because we can just change the rollout to trade RPM for torque already...
Trade off. It also increases the current the motor pulls.

You were right at the point of saying it: Less turns or shorter stator stack (less wire) is more rpm at a higher current draw. Loss of torque is marginal as brushless has too much anyway. But, it will make the motor feel softer on takeoff. Both work, you just have to move the gearing around to hit the right power band and feel for the track. Most people are too lazy for this and want the magic bullet: Perfect motor, perfect timing, perfect gear ratio and no effort.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Trade off. It also increases the current the motor pulls.

You were right at the point of saying it: Less turns or shorter stator stack (less wire) is more rpm at a higher current draw. Loss of torque is marginal as brushless has too much anyway. But, it will make the motor feel softer on takeoff. Both work, you just have to move the gearing around to hit the right power band and feel for the track.
Ah, but higher current at equal voltage is more watts: more power!

That's also how a low turn motor is more powerful: it has less absolute torque, but more overall power, you just have to gear down. A 4.5T motor has to be geared at 8.0 (in a touring car), and a 21.5T is able to pull 3.0, but there's no question that it has less overall power, it's not just a trade-off.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That's also how a low turn motor is more powerful: it has less absolute torque, but more overall power, you just have to gear down.
Not quite. Fewer turns = MORE torque and more RPM, everything else being equal. That's because the stator resistance varies as the square of the turn count; the current therefore varies as the inverse square of the turn count.

Example: If the number of turns is decreased by a factor of two, the resistance will decrease by a factor of four. First, the wire length is halved, cutting the resistance in half. Then the wire cross-sectional area is doubled to fill up the otherwise empty space on the stator. That's half the resistance again, for a factor of four. So the current also increases by a factor of four. Since torque is proportional to ampere*turns, four times the current times half the turns = twice the torque.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-01-2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Included example.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano
Not quite. Fewer turns = MORE torque and more RPM, everything else being equal. That's because the stator resistance varies as the square of the turn count; the current therefore varies as the inverse square of the turn count.
Hmm, that's true, higher RPM even implies a higher stall torque, right?

I'm guessing short stack motors have to have the same gauge of wire (they're used in spec racing, they've got to be maxed out already?), so only a bit less resistance, which means more power, but does the shorter stator reduce the field strength?

In short, if short stacks are so good, they'd just make the short stack version, and not bother with the regular one, so seems like there must be a compromise... Since we can readily trade torque for speed with gearing, it feels like I'm missing something...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Oh, there's one thing: they must be lighter. With a pan car, that has the motor in the pod, that's good (less unsprung mass).

Even at equal power, that'd be better. Don't see what's "1S" about it, though...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Oh, there's one thing: they must be lighter. With a pan car, that has the motor in the pod, that's good (less unsprung mass).

Even at equal power, that'd be better. Don't see what's "1S" about it, though...
That's correct, short stacks are lighter. If you watch that video link I posted, Nick does a comparison between the Fantom short stack with a regular stack.
He compares, specs, weight, stack measurement, amp draw, RPM and etc.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Roadkill10 ready for testing tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-roadkill_conversion1.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heads up!
Lexan sheets will arrive this week according to seller, hope a couple will come out usable

Learnt so much, still improvements will always be made to the shape of the bodyshell according to feedback. Got a few tricks up the sleeve too.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

what size tires is everyone running?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racerx1920
Asphalt: full size/60mm
Carpet: 53mm
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racerx1920
I run up to 55mm indoors for club racing, but yeah, at bigger races, 53mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.