Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

3racing F109

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

I used the F103 front steering knuckles with the F104 suspension parts for the front. The stock F109 steering knuckles are pretty much identical to the F103 ones so I'm surprised you are locking up the wheels. I actually had to had shims to mine as there was play in the front wheels. But if the nut tightens so much that it locks the bearings just tighten the nut enough so there is no play but still spins freely. As for the rear axle the F109 one will work fine. The F104, F103, and F109 all have axles with the same dimensions. The only difference is the F104 rear axle has the thrust bearing assembly inside the diff hub instead of inside the wheel.

Note - If you use the F104 wheels/tires and don't change the front suspension components then the front will be much wider than the rear. I elected to change to the F104 front suspension but I suspect you could also use spacers and widen the rear axle instead.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bob Kelly
I would love a "final answer" to this question too. I'v read through this thread a dozen times and there's no consistent answer. I run outside on unprepped asphalt and want to try rubber tires, specifically the old style grooved tires. i have read that the Ride wheels and tires fit, but I have also read that you have to modify the front spindles. I've heard that the Tamiya rubbers fit, but only if you run a Tamiya rear axle/diff. If I can run rubber tires on my F109, can anyone give me a definitive answer as to which ones actually fit and maybe where I can get them? Thanks guys,

Bob
Any wheel/tire combo made for the F103 will bolt straight up to the F109
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you use flanged lock nuts, you'll lock the wheel...
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by robk
If you use flanged lock nuts, you'll lock the wheel...
So what nuts do I use?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Non-flanged lock nuts. Usually comes in the kit.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Front ride height

what way have people found best to adjust the front ride height with the 109 front end?

I see the larger king pins that some people use with shims.. is this the best way to adjust the front ride height? anyone use anothe way?

Are these the pins people use: ZEN (#Z2105) Pre Load Type Pin For Tamiya F103

Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 AM
njt
Tech Apprentice

The way i use is to shim under the front suspension and i typically use 1.5 mm and is gas kit material
Attached Thumbnails 3racing F109-andy-f1s-001.jpg  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What are the differences in handling between a standup servo and the low profile servo?I see some use standup(std) servo's ;some use low profile(bluebird'ect).Is there any advantage to either?
Has anyone tried the graphite chassis kit?Does it stiffen up the car too much?
I have two of these beasts and I race silvercan both carpet and asphalt.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by njt
The way i use is to shim under the front suspension and i typically use 1.5 mm and is gas kit material
Thanks mate I was wondering where to change the ride height at the spring/king ping or in between the chassis and the front suspension like you have.

It should also change the front roll centre by adding shims where you have. How have you found it? adding 1.5mm? is this for ashphalt or carpet?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
njt
Tech Apprentice

The F1 is only used for carpet racing, l find the shimming makes the F1 more stable into and out of corners also it helps with setting the ride height as the foams wear down . the rear tend to wear more than the fronts so we need to keep the chassis ride height the same front and rear therefore l shim the front as required.
l use 30 shore rear/ kit rears and 40 shore/ purple foam on the front
Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
njt
Tech Apprentice

This years KO Carpet Masters is supported by RCDisCO, and starts on the 7th November, followed by the 1st Sunday in the month up to March 2011.
There are classes for :- F1s ,world gt 10 cars, t/c 10.5,13.5.17.5

why not give your F1 a run if you live in the area of Stafford UK

Table ,chair and electric are all provided and a coarse a very grippy high speed track

l did win last time

see you soon i hope lol
Attached Thumbnails 3racing F109-nick-%40-3-racing.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So my first indoor race experience with F109 - I had blast race - TQ'd without issues (won all qualifiers), won first final by one lap. Second final was the problem. We've got reversed grid for second final so I had to battle to the front, I managed to get to 2nd place in 2 laps and very soon to 1st. Unfortunately one of my rear tyres got damaged in fight to the top and it started tearing. I had to stop the car and wait marshall to tear off that bit and that costed me too much time. Also car was inconsistent afterwards so I had loads of work to do to keep car on the track. I finished 4th in that final and 2nd overall (we've got only 2 finals). Anyway I'm very confident with car and I'm looking forward to next race to prove that I can with it anytime
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Looking at switching to a F109..what wheels and tires do i have to run to use rubber tires..also wheres the best place to get the car and hopups?? Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tight turnbuckles and other questions!

Hi folk's,

I've just built a F1-09 and have a few questions, if I could. I have searched through the thread but not found the answers I'm after.

Ok, here goes.

1. The turnbuckles are very tight and almost impossible to use. Is that a common problem and what can be done about it?
2. The turnbuckle wrench doesn't fit! Can somebody recommend something that does?
3. What's the best way to attach the nose cone to the main shell? Would double sided tape be OK?
4. The shock front ball-joint is a bit loose. Again, is this normal and do you have any good tips to improve it?

Generally it's a good kit and fantastic value though. Thanks for all the great tips on here. Hopefully you can help me with my problems.

Cheers, Frank
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frankgw
Hi folk's,

I've just built a F1-09 and have a few questions, if I could. I have searched through the thread but not found the answers I'm after.

Ok, here goes.

1. The turnbuckles are very tight and almost impossible to use. Is that a common problem and what can be done about it?
2. The turnbuckle wrench doesn't fit! Can somebody recommend something that does?
3. What's the best way to attach the nose cone to the main shell? Would double sided tape be OK?
4. The shock front ball-joint is a bit loose. Again, is this normal and do you have any good tips to improve it?

Generally it's a good kit and fantastic value though. Thanks for all the great tips on here. Hopefully you can help me with my problems.

Cheers, Frank
1.They suck...as does the crappy stamped wrench. Invest in upgraded turnbuckles. I would say they are the worst thing about the 109 kit.
2.See above.
3.I used a dab of shoe goo and two very small self tapping screws at the bottom.
4.My shock ball joint is good.Maybe you got a dud?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.