R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   3racing F109 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/318689-3racing-f109.html)

SMG 10-17-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChadRacing (Post 6485934)
I ran my f109 on carpet today with no setup and was using a 540 johnson motor.

Bone stock out the box setup and the car was awesome. Hooked up very well. I was out driving the 12th scales running 13.5.

Great car, cant wait to actually put it in a race next week

What pinion are you running? thanks

mac853 10-18-2009 05:38 AM

In fact i want to using brushless in my F109.
Could somebody tell me if 17.5 or just 21.5 fits to run in F1 in tight indoor circuits?

Best regards

InZane 10-18-2009 10:59 AM

I must be the slowest builder ever - but I'm getting closer to a race ready car.
Mounting the body and receiver&ESC is what's left - first track tests next week end hopefully.

http://inzaneracing.com/bilder/f109_chassie.jpg

The servo is a Bluebird low profile servo. I tilted it a bit to get the steering linkage level with the ground. Seems to work now without the dreaded bump steering.

http://inzaneracing.com/bilder/wing1.jpg

http://inzaneracing.com/bilder/wing2.jpg

ChadRacing 10-18-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SMG (Post 6486295)
What pinion are you running? thanks

I was using a 28 and 27 pinion on the car, with the stock spur. I was coming off the track after 10 mins with temps in the 150's

robk 10-18-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChadRacing (Post 6485934)
I ran my f109 on carpet today with no setup and was using a 540 johnson motor.

Bone stock out the box setup and the car was awesome. Hooked up very well. I was out driving the 12th scales running 13.5.

Great car, cant wait to actually put it in a race next week

Yes, I ran mine today-absolutely sickening. Tons of steering and plenty of stability. I can't say enough on how well it ran out of the box on stock tires.

badmotor 10-19-2009 05:18 AM

Is the front upper castor mount on the F109 compatible with the 3 racing's alloy castor mount V2 for F103gt?

cheROK1212 10-19-2009 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 6489363)
Yes, I ran mine today-absolutely sickening. Tons of steering and plenty of stability. I can't say enough on how well it ran out of the box on stock tires.

F105 on drawing board as we speak ;)

Rick Vessell 10-19-2009 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 6489363)

Great! Now I have more work to do! :lol:

robk 10-19-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by badmotor (Post 6491651)
Is the front upper castor mount on the F109 compatible with the 3 racing's alloy castor mount V2 for F103gt?

yes

robk 10-19-2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JonnySocko (Post 6492010)
Great! Now I have more work to do! :lol:

Link car :sweat:

getpip 10-19-2009 09:48 AM

Picked mine up today ... what a bargain.:nod:

Any build tips gratefully received.

Rick Vessell 10-19-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 6492531)
Link car :sweat:

Grumble, grumble..... :lol:

koz47 10-19-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by rack (Post 6480928)
No it is neg is going to the rear of the car and pos is going toward the front of the car.

wrong if you look from the side, top of kingpin tilt forward towards front of car is NEGATIVE,kingpin tilted towards rear of car is POSITIVE

please do not give wrong info ,too many new people need the correct answers.

SMG 10-19-2009 04:07 PM

Does anyone know where I can purchase some cool decals or wraps for this car? Thanks

koz47 10-19-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rack (Post 6480928)
No it is neg is going to the rear of the car and pos is going toward the front of the car.

wrong

THE EFFECTS OF CASTER

Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side. If the pivot axis is tilted backward (that is, the top pivot is positioned farther rearward than the bottom pivot), then the caster is positive; if it's tilted forward, then the caster is negative.

Positive caster tends to straighten the wheel when the vehicle is traveling forward, and thus is used to enhance straight-line stability. The mechanism that causes this tendency is clearly illustrated by the castering front wheels of a shopping cart (above). The steering axis of a shopping cart wheel is set forward of where the wheel contacts the ground. As the cart is pushed forward, the steering axis pulls the wheel along, and since the wheel drags along the ground, it falls directly in line behind the steering axis. The force that causes the wheel to follow the steering axis is proportional to the distance between the steering axis and the wheel-to-ground contact patch-the greater the distance, the greater the force. This distance is referred to as "trail."

Due to many design considerations, it is desirable to have the steering axis of a car's wheel right at the wheel hub. If the steering axis were to be set vertical with this layout, the axis would be coincident with the tire contact patch. The trail would be zero, and no castering would be generated. The wheel would be essentially free to spin about the patch (actually, the tire itself generates a bit of a castering effect due to a phenomenon known as "pneumatic trail," but this effect is much smaller than that created by mechanical castering, so we'll ignore it here). Fortunately, it is possible to create castering by tilting the steering axis in the positive direction. With such an arrangement, the steering axis intersects the ground at a point in front of the tire contact patch, and thus the same effect as seen in the shopping cart casters is achieved.

The tilted steering axis has another important effect on suspension geometry. Since the wheel rotates about a tilted axis, the wheel gains camber as it is turned. This effect is best visualized by imagining the unrealistically extreme case where the steering axis would be horizontal-as the steering wheel is turned, the road wheel would simply change camber rather than direction. This effect causes the outside wheel in a turn to gain negative camber, while the inside wheel gains positive camber. These camber changes are generally favorable for cornering, although it is possible to overdo it.

Most cars are not particularly sensitive to caster settings. Nevertheless, it is important to ensure that the caster is the same on both sides of the car to avoid the tendency to pull to one side. While greater caster angles serve to improve straight-line stability, they also cause an increase in steering effort. Three to five degrees of positive caster is the typical range of settings, with lower angles being used on heavier vehicles to keep the steering effort reasonable.