Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bodies for Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Bodies for Racing?

What are peoples thoughts about the best bodies? I know that there is always a favorite, First the Protoform Alfa Romeo 156, then the Stratus and now the Chrysler 300m. I've been using the Alfa for a while now, appently it's one of the best for fast outdoors tracks. When I tried the HPI 156 I found that the car was less stable and had low speed oversteer. Has anyone had experience with the Pro-line Ferrari 360 Modena? I'd like to try it but I've heard that it doesn't handle well.

What do other people like and why?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I don't know what the rules are in Australia, but here in the U.S. we're restricted to 4 door sedan bodies which must be replicas of cars that have actually competed in a touring car race series.

The most popular bodies here are the verious versions of the Stratus, the Protoform and Andy's being the two most popular.

I've done nearly all of my racing with those two bodies. I think the Andy's behaves a bit more aggressively than the Protoform.

I've run the Protoform Vauxhall and Alfa, the Alfa seemed to have more steering than the Stratus, and the Vectra seemed very similar to the Stratus to me.

Trips
Old 02-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

We have the 4 door touring car rules as well but there are some races that allow any body including 2 door and for club racing people are pretty relaxed about bodies, it keeps it fun. At one of the Melbourne clubs there is a special class where people have raced with hunting decoy ducks as bodies, moulded chocholate combi van bodies and other crazy stuff.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Protoform has a new Acura RSX coupe that looks pretty sleek, I might try that at one of our local tracks where they aren't too concerned about the bodies as long as they have a passing resemblance to a touring car, then there's the Pro Line GT-40 and the Pro Line TVR Speed 6 (neither of which would likely be considered close enough to a touring car here)

I've been wanting to promote an outdoor series here this Spring/Summer, I'm thinking 19 turn spec modifieds and foam tires, and everyone's got to run the GT-40 body... it would look pretty cool in my opinion.

Trips
Old 02-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by BagofSkill
We have the 4 door touring car rules as well but there are some races that allow any body including 2 door and for club racing people are pretty relaxed about bodies, it keeps it fun. At one of the Melbourne clubs there is a special class where people have raced with hunting decoy ducks as bodies, moulded chocholate combi van bodies and other crazy stuff.
oh...thats cool....are those ducks bodies fast??
hehehehe
Old 02-19-2002, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Trips
I've been wanting to promote an outdoor series here this Spring/Summer, I'm thinking 19 turn spec modifieds and foam tires, and everyone's got to run the GT-40 body... it would look pretty cool in my opinion.

Trips
Anyone got any ideas on how the GT40 would handle compared to a HPI Stratus???

Cheers

A
Old 02-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

With it's shape close to that of the Tamiya Ferrari 360 modena, with a larger "snout", I would believe that it should have a little more steering than the HPI Stratus. But that is my guess, I really like the Tamiya Ferarri, it is quite neutral due to it's hood and desck being almost the same amount of surface area, and the nose is rocket shaped instead of having a straight down "wall" infront of it like the GT40 which would make it a little faster top end. UNLESS you hit too high of a speed where a good "wind" could get under the chassis and lift the entire car, definately more of an indoor body in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

This topic isn't getting a huge amount of interest or opinions, so I might jump on with a few nore opinions of my own.
Protoform Alfa 156: Very popular choice of a year or two ago, seems to be very good outdoors, good steering.
Hpi Alfa 156: Lacks stability (downforce?) compared to Protoform 156, very little grip at rear during low speed.
HPI Peugot 406C: Similar 'aero' balance to Protoform Alfa 156 although less stable, slightly more aerodynamic, top speed? (not legal for sanctioned racing)
Protoform Volvo S40: Less steering than proto Alfa 156.
Protoform Vauxhaul Vectra: Again less steering than Alfa

I have it on good authority that the;
Protoform Stratus gives a very neutral and good handling and predictable car.
Protoform Volvo S60 gives high levels of Aerodynamic grip at the expense of top speed, well suited to indoor or twisty, low speed tracks.
Protoform Crysler 300m is opposite to volvo, not much Aero grip but very Aerodynamic = high top speeds. Good for Mod outdoors. (not legal for some official bodies)

Any other opinions or takers on other body shells? I'd really like to see some opinions on other HPI and Protoform bodies, especially HPI Altezza/IS200, Nissan GTR, Protoform (Pro-line) Ferrari 360 Modena and Honda Accord.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dodge Stratus

"Without doubt the most popular body worldwide is the Dodge Stratus and with good reason. This bodyshell with its flat and wide stance gives a supremely neutral balance to any car, making it the perfect choice in slippery conditions or tight tracks and is an almost universal choice for racing indoors"

Alfa Romeo 156

At the other end of the spectrum is the Alfa 156, a gorgeously curvaceous body that is very slippery through the air. This has the smallest wing of the three and a very aggressive frontal shape. This leads to a bodyshell that is very fast in a straight line and gives the most aggressive steering of the three

Vauxhall Vectra

The Protoform Vectra is currently the top choice of the A-Final drivers at National Level for the simple reason that this body is a near perfect compromise between the Stratus and the Alfa. The front is aggressive enough to enhance the steering while the flat bootlid and large rear wing give this shell a good degree of stability as well. This really is a bodyshell that has it all.

(here is the link for more info - http://www.rcracenews.co.uk/articles/tcshells.html)
Old 02-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

ive used the hpi Civic si body and the hpi accord body, the civic si is one of the better handling bodies out there, the hpi accord isnt as good as the proline accord though.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Novarossi
Vauxhall Vectra

The Protoform Vectra is currently the top choice of the A-Final drivers at National Level for the simple reason that this body is a near perfect compromise between the Stratus and the Alfa. The front is aggressive enough to enhance the steering while the flat bootlid and large rear wing give this shell a good degree of stability as well. This really is a bodyshell that has it all.
I agree with Nova- The Vectra definately has more steering while retaining good downforce. In fact, when presented with a condition where I feel I need just a little more steering but don't want to alter my suspension tune because it fells good, I will switch to my Vectra body. I always paint a matching pair when I paint new bodies for myself- one stratus and one vectra. Right now I have one of each plus a hot bodies stratus. The hot bodies stratus is an awesome body when the tune is well matched to the track. Now if I could just learn to stay off those darn pipes......
Old 02-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, to be honest, I can't tell a difference. I have been racing for the better part of 15 years, and I can't tell a difference between the Vectra, Stratus, Primera, etc. I use Protoform bodies mainly, and all seem to handle the same. Granted, I'm not the world's best driver, but I can hold my own. I think that as long as you use something shaped similar to the popular bodies out there, you'll be fine. I hear people claiming that this body or that body makes all the difference in the world. Maybe if you are a top level professional you can tell. Or maybe it's just me. But I've never been out racing and thought to myself "If only I was using this body my car would handle...."
Old 02-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Cosmo
Well, to be honest, I can't tell a difference. I have been racing for the better part of 15 years, and I can't tell a difference between the Vectra, Stratus, Primera, etc. I use Protoform bodies mainly, and all seem to handle the same. Granted, I'm not the world's best driver, but I can hold my own. I think that as long as you use something shaped similar to the popular bodies out there, you'll be fine. I hear people claiming that this body or that body makes all the difference in the world. Maybe if you are a top level professional you can tell. Or maybe it's just me. But I've never been out racing and thought to myself "If only I was using this body my car would handle...."

ive been racing 3, TC 1 and a 1/2....I cant tell the difference either, though I did feel that the Mondeo/Contour body didnt give me as much steering as the stratus I was used to....