Wiki Posts
Search

best ball cup/ball stud combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default best ball cup/ball stud combo

I forget where, but I read that the losi ball cups were good. So I ordered some up. The part number is losa6016. They are a big long, so I had to cut them down. They do seem a lot better and give a nice "click" when I pop them on. But I still have a good amount of play.

I'd like to eliminate as much of it as I can.

So, is there a better ball stud?

--pakk
Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Big balljoints (5.8mm, steel) Yokomo plus ZC 402 (Yokomo) eyelets. Balljoints come in a large assortment of threaded/unthreaded plus flanged, necked, tall necked or no neck with hex collar or without.

Small balljoints (4.3mm, steel) Yokomo with RPM cups. Balljoints again come in a large assortment of threads, shoulders, necks, etc. Plus they come in titanium as well. Original Yokomo cups are good too, but have a little bit of play in this combo. Where space is a problem, these may be used as they are significantly smaller than the RPM item.

Other than where mentioned above, these combinations are very smooth and have no play at all whatsoever and have a rather long life. I have never had one pop in a crash either but htis may be a problem if you'd rather one popped out than break something else. I usually break the hub carrier.

Good luck finding these.

Last edited by niznai; 07-31-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up RPM is the best,in my humble opinion.

You can't beat RPM ball cups:flexible!!!! The best ball ends I've seen are SPENDY: Losi titanium long ones.Alternative is Lunsford#7104 LONG ones. If you pop off a ball cup 6-7 times,replace it! Dave in Seattle.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ddd228
You can't beat RPM ball cups:flexible!!!!
True, and the Yokomo ZC 402 are just as flexible, that's why recommended those. I don't like the eyelets they have on Xrays or other cars either (they're way too stiff), nor the slop of the Tamiya cars.

Last edited by niznai; 07-31-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Exclamation Ballends.Ball cups.What spaps first?

Originally Posted by niznai
Big balljoints (5.8mm, steel) Yokomo plus ZC 402 (Yokomo) eyelets. Balljoints come in a large assortment of threaded/unthreaded plus flanged, necked, tall necked or no neck with hex collar or without.

Small balljoints (4.3mm, steel) Yokomo with RPM cups. Balljoints again come in a large assortment of threads, shoulders, necks, etc. Plus they come in titanium as well. Original Yokomo cups are good too, but have a little bit of play in this combo. Where space is a problem, these may be used as they are significantly smaller than the RPM item.

Other than where mentioned above, these combinations are very smooth and have no play at all whatsoever and have a rather long life. I have never had one pop in a crash either but this may be a problem if you'd rather one popped out than break something else. I usually break the hub carrier. That's OK by me to snap a hub carrier,instead of another part thats more of a PITA to change.The other option for those willing to accept the breakeage (sp) is the captured ballends by Rocket City but they are way fatter,available in 4-40,6-40 thread sizes. I broke one,once.Dubro #2317 is a brutally strong ball link replacement.They come with brass "balls",a little heavy.An RPM substitute would be the 1/4" Delrin balls #73181.Hard to find!(Losi lower shock balls). On my T-4,they are the best for the outer REAR camber links and the front steering arm ends. Then,you will snap the bell cranks!!!! My 2 cents. Dave in Seattle.

Good luck finding these.
Do some digging for the hot set ups. My quote got stuck in the message.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I should have mentioned, I only use metric sizes (threads). And no aluminium because when they break they usually leave a bit impossible to pull out from whatever they are stuck into.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Schumacher ball studs with RPM ball ends (AE size i think) work very well together, nice snug fit but not too tight. Dont eliminate all the play in your steering system, you need just a little to keep the car running in a straight line.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HPI
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Suspended

The new schumacher ballj oints on the mi4 are THE best ball joint i've ever seen... (when I say ball joint I mean the stud and the cup assembly as one)

Tightest c**t to get off, but very free when on... perfect combination
Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
The new schumacher ballj oints on the mi4 are THE best ball joint i've ever seen... (when I say ball joint I mean the stud and the cup assembly as one)

Tightest c**t to get off, but very free when on... perfect combination
Thats how my cat was, they last for a long time like that to! The only slop (which is pretty much nothing) was in the steering belcrank.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I can't find the parts on racing-cars. I see the parts and part numbers in the diagram, but it doesn't seem to be available. Anywhere else I can look?

--pakk
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pakk
I can't find the parts on racing-cars. I see the parts and part numbers in the diagram, but it doesn't seem to be available. Anywhere else I can look?

--pakk
Call Adam or Shawn. They probably have some, the site just hasnt been updated. Other then that, maybe stormer? Im not sure
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you are talking about the Schuie ballcups that I think you are those are too tight IMO. They won't pop off at all which means you end up breaking parts.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
If you are talking about the Schuie ballcups that I think you are those are too tight IMO. They won't pop off at all which means you end up breaking parts.
In my experience, they were awesome. They popped off when I needed them to, and never popped off in a crash, and in wheeler, you get some goooood ones! And they didnt bind anything up
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
In my experience, they were awesome. They popped off when I needed them to, and never popped off in a crash, and in wheeler, you get some goooood ones! And they didnt bind anything up
Depending on how hard the crash you may want them to pop off if the alternative is breaking an a-arm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.