Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA05?!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya TA05?!!!?

Hi everyone, i am fairly new to electric onroad ive been running nitro onroad for 3 years or so and i am looking for a good onroad electric car for racing! i am wondering if the TA05 are any good?! i have a $$ budget that limits my items to buy, other wise ill go for the tc5 or tc,.... etc, so are the TA05 straight out a rolling kit or what comes in the box when i actually get one?! ThankYou!!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

The TA05 is as tough as steel. It's pretty quick and it has all the necessary adjustments too. You'd need to put a little money into it though to get it to match the TC5 out of the box. Things like the coil over shocks, sway bars, suspension mounts, and a spool or one-way are usual upgrades to the normal TA05.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There are several versions, so it depends on which one you buy. The standard TA05, TA05-IFS & TA05-Version-2 are all complete rolling chassis with tires & body sets.

The TA05-R and TA05-IFS-R do not come with tires or bodies. They do come with all the necessary hopups for good competitive racing. If budget permits, these are a much better dollar investment. The IFS-R is the more updated of the two with shot suspension arms, and beefier diffs & hubs.

If you can only afford a standard kit, have a look at the new version-2 chassis. It just came out, but it's really quite nice. It has a narrower chassis, and features the short suspension arms & beefed up hubs & diffs of the IFS-R. It's only sold as the new Subaru Cusco kit...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 94eg!
There are several versions, so it depends on which one you buy. The standard TA05, TA05-IFS & TA05-Version-2 are all complete rolling chassis with tires & body sets.

The TA05-R and TA05-IFS-R do not come with tires or bodies. They do come with all the necessary hopups for good competitive racing. If budget permits, these are a much better dollar investment. The IFS-R is the more updated of the two with shot suspension arms, and beefier diffs & hubs.

If you can only afford a standard kit, have a look at the new version-2 chassis. It just came out, but it's really quite nice. It has a narrower chassis, and features the short suspension arms & beefed up hubs & diffs of the IFS-R. It's only sold as the new Subaru Cusco kit...
For now

I'm sure the Ver.II will replace the current IFS in all kits.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skitee
For now

I'm sure the Ver.II will replace the current IFS in all kits.
Any rumours of a Ver 2 "R" being planned?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HI_808
The TA05 is as tough as steel. It's pretty quick and it has all the necessary adjustments too. You'd need to put a little money into it though to get it to match the TC5 out of the box. Things like the coil over shocks, sway bars, suspension mounts, and a spool or one-way are usual upgrades to the normal TA05.
TA05 does come with coil overs stock. I think you meant TRF or aluminium shocks might be a useful upgrade.

And in the hands of an experienced driver/tuner the car is on par with more exotic machinnery out of the box. I have seen it not only once.

That being said, I have also seen people destroying half their suspension at the first outing too, so I would say the car can only be as good as you are.

Of course the "R" versions are nicer to work on and in the long run cheaper if you have to upgrade or replace a lot of parts because you hit the car and they get out of whack (suspension blocks suffer mostly on TA05 when you take a hit and you need to replace them because the hinge pin damages the hole when pulled out in a crash. That is if the upright doesn't give first.). Here is where the "R" version will save you some money because they'll take a harder hit before anything gets damaged.

You need to know however that both "R" versions are discontinued and the TA05 "R" is no longer available anywhere (IFS still in stock in a few places).
Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

A guy with a stock ta05 at my club can compete with and beat the more expensive cars like the schumachers, corallys, HB etc.

I would go for the V2, its really fantastic value.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Tamiya makes some vary good cars. But their parts support is a bit wanting. I blew out a carrier bock, and lost the top brushing. And tamiya doesn't make them anymore. So, now I have a vary expensive paperwhight, and having no luck finding a replacment for it. It's funny how a 50 cent peice of metal can keep a +$600 car from running.

Sorry for the rant. I really do like tamiya, and all their cars. Just not their unwillingness to keep parts stock for their older cars.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Are you refering to the Ta05? if so the bushings are very easy to get (you can actually replace it with a bearing)
Old 07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

actully, it's the TA05-IFS R. And it's the little flanged tube that fits into the caster block. I found that this is a common problem with that model, and even though I know how to fix it. I can't find one that will fit, right, in there. Tamiya doesn't supply them anymore, and most other companies have different sized ones. I'm still looking around for one, but it's just been such awhile, I've almost given up.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gimpex
Any rumours of a Ver 2 "R" being planned?
I'm sure the TA-05 platform still has a lot of life left in it before it's replaced so I'm sure there'll be an R version available.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
actully, it's the TA05-IFS R. And it's the little flanged tube that fits into the caster block. I found that this is a common problem with that model, and even though I know how to fix it. I can't find one that will fit, right, in there. Tamiya doesn't supply them anymore, and most other companies have different sized ones. I'm still looking around for one, but it's just been such awhile, I've almost given up.
Those little flanged tubes are easy to make really, even if you don't have a lathe.

Just find a tube that will fit diameter wise and sand it down to length. This is really easy, shouldn't hold you up for any length of time. To make sure you sand it down square make yourself a little jig from a piece of metal with a hole of appropiate diameter hole or a flat nut or a number of washers that you slide on and then sand until you reach the top face of the nut/washer/jig.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And beyond that, just use the flanged tube from another kit(MOST of Tamiya's cars use the same ones, only the original TA05 had a different one, but any of them with the reversible suspension arms use the same ones, so just look around, you can find some in stock somewhere....