Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Todd Hodge..aka "Hodgimoto"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:35 AM
TLRacing

Default SPOOL SETUP

Hey guys...I figured it would be easier for everyone if I just posted the setup here.

Spool Setup

Front Suspension
Toe Out-1
Ride Height-5mm
Camber- -1.2
Kickup- 0
Carrier- 4
Sway Bar- .060”
Droop- 3mm
Pivot- 2F
Arm Spacing- Middle
Ackerman- Forward and Flipped
Front Drive- Plastic Spool
Drive-42F/42R
Shock Position- #4
Camber Position- Up and In between #2 and #3. Makes a perfect triangle
Camber Ballstud- Chrome
Roll Center- TL Low
Oil-70wt
Piston-#56
Spring-Purple

Rear Suspension
Toe In- 2.5
Ride Height- 5mm
Camber- -1
Droop- 4mm
Pivot- 2R
Sway Bar- .050”
Arm Spacing- Back
Camber Ball Stud- Black
Rear End-Standard
Camber Link- 3/A or 7/A(7 seems to have carry a more consistent arc onpower)
Shock Position-#2/Outside on arm
Roll Center- TL Low
Oil-40wt
Piston-#56
Spring-Green

Tires-CS27 Premounts
Battery Forward
Tire Additive-Trinity Tire Tweak
ESC mounted in front of motor
Old 05-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Todd,

Are you going to be racing in northern Ohio offroad or onroad anytime this summer?

Ray
Old 05-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I take it that's what you're going to be starting with @ Reedy?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

I think that MHOR raceway is in Aurora right? I'm going to be in southern Colorado. Probably going through Grand Junction and the like. May just have to detour on my way back. Got my body painted. I'll see about adding it to mt avitar. Raining here for now Means no testing with body on today.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Todd, I've noticed that you run your ESC in front of the motor on carpet and also in your spool setup above. Do you always run it forward? Do any of the other team drivers do this too?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:45 PM
TLRacing

ray-Well I come into town June 5th-4th. I think I am going to try and make it to Western PA to race at McCulloughs if time permits. I am coming in town for my lil brothers graduation so time may be hard to get during the weekends.

jkerr-Yea something close to that....I will be testing some more at 4 Fun Hobbies in Hesparia. They have a awesome road course there. Truely awesome!! When I learn more I will post some more.

mw-I am about the only one who does it. If you look at your car...you really dont want your ESC behind your motor since there is nothing in the 7th cell area of your XXX-S. I have tested it and I personally think it makes the car much smoother to drive.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by T. Hodge
mw-I am about the only one who does it. If you look at your car...you really dont want your ESC behind your motor since there is nothing in the 7th cell area of your XXX-S. I have tested it and I personally think it makes the car much smoother to drive.
Todd,
Somewhere I read that the receiver and the ESC should be as far away from each other as possible to avoid interference. Obviously, that hasn't been an issue for you.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
TLRacing

XXX-S Bill-So far I have had no problems...."Knock on wood(my head)"
Old 05-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks Todd.

Last night we raced at Ripon...Where the Reedy was held in the past; so, I assume you know it.

Absolutely awesome, awesome permanent track facility.

Running again next Friday night.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 AM
TLRacing

XXX-S Bill-Yea Ripon is a beautiful track. I really wish Reedy would put the race back up there. You guys in Norcal have it so good....two dialed tracks Ripon and Speedworld.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

What does the flipped part of the Ackerman position mean?

Probably a simple questions, but I am new.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Todd: Thanks for the advice on Hodapp's setup. I went down on the springs to blue-F, silver-R and the car was dialed. I going to try your spool setup next weekend.

What can one expect as far as handling changes when going from diff to spool? What am I likely to break while using a front spool if I touch a board on a run? (Just in case of course )

I remember on the Nitro TC3, you could kill off dogbones if not careful while driving a spool.

You mentioned the plastic spool? What are the part numbers to put one together?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Todd: I noticed that Losi has new titanium ball studs out (short ones). Am I to assume that these are equivalent to the copper and the others (out years back) are equivalent to the blacks?

I just find them easier to deal with than the others...
Old 05-16-2004, 12:54 PM
TLRacing

lost aggie-That means that the short end of the bellcranks are forward.

Richo-I just use the standard TL parts to put the spool together minus the diff balls and I use the spool pads(which are just 80 grit sandpaper cut out to the size of the diff ring.) I then put it all together and make sure the timing grooves on the outdrives are timed 90 degrees apart and then use TL blue glue to glue it all together. You may have to shim the spool some on the chassis since it will have some side to side movement since you are not using the diff balls.

The spool should give you less offpower steering but have a lot more onpower steering.

The new short neck ti ball studs are to match the chrome ball stud that is used in the front of the XXX-S in the caster block. Make sure to use the .380 size one there. The other shorter one (.250) is used in the back of the BK 2 buggy.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Yet another question Todd. I've got my car handling really well in the lower speed technical portion of my track, but at high speed in tends to push a fair amount. My track has a long sweeper at the end of the main straight, which is where this push is noticeable. I'm thinking about trimming the rear wing down, as it seems this would affect high speed handling more than low speed. Would this be a smart move? What other adjustments could I make that primarily affect high speed handling without messing up everything else? Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.