Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capacitors & electronic items

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 01:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Capacitors & electronic items

Just wondering what purpose capacitors do to enhance good voltage flow from battery to esc. I am now using a 10volts 10,000uf capacitor rubicon for a 2400 stick pack. I only charge the capacitor during repeaking the batteries. I dont know if Im doing the right stuff charging at thesame rate 4amps and repeaking also at the same rate for the caps. What difference does it make if I buy an LRP World's option kit with my current capacitor?
Old 02-14-2002, 03:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Capacitors & electronic items

Originally posted by Technoskid
I am now using a 10volts 10,000uf capacitor rubicon
That's weird.... From what i've heard we have to use 16V capacitor for ESC...
Old 02-14-2002, 04:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Daniz24

Is that so? Then 16V capacitors are stronger in what sense? I kinda noticed ever since I used one, I gained torque & longer playing time with the same settings.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

daniz24, what's wierder is he's charging the capacitor....

Unfortunatly Technoskid, my esc has the capacitor (and shoktty diodes) all built in so I didn't research into this area of capacitor installation...

BTW, are you actually installing the capacitor directly onto the battery? If so, there is no need to, it's meant to be connected to your ESC. Also, there is no need to charge the capacitor. The moment you connnect your battery to the esc's connectors it will begin charging up.

What's more important will be connecting ceramic caps over at the motor. I'm sure you did that right?

Regards,
Alvin
Old 02-14-2002, 04:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Alvin

I got it! But you think 16V caps are recommended? It might kill my esc.

However, caps are actually meant for an extended storage of voltage juice right?
Old 02-14-2002, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

16V is the voltage of the capacitor - i.e. if you exceed this voltage the cap will explode. RIght now your battery, if assuming 6 cells is 7.2v or actually 8.1, 8.2 volts fully charged (I'm using an analog multimeter ok ) So it hasn't exceeded the level.

Novak has a nice page about this:
http://www.teamnovak.com/Tech_info/esc_applic/

HTHs!

Regards,
Alvin
Old 02-14-2002, 05:11 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Alvin
daniz24, what's wierder is he's charging the capacitor....
Well, you will either get the charge from the battery, and loose some runtime or you can charge it.

The only Caps. that i run are the Novak Cap, with my TC2, the 3 on the motor, and then i have a LRP worlds kit on the way for my Quantum.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

I guess he'll need to solder the cap back on after charging - by then probably the capacitor has already lost most of the charge
Old 02-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

What is the purpose of installing a shoktty diode on your motor? Is there any advantage to using one?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Modena AL
What is the purpose of installing a shoktty diode on your motor? Is there any advantage to using one?
http://www.teamnovak.com/Tech_info/m...o/SCHOTTKY.HTM
Old 02-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Thanks RCCadet. That was all I needed

If they cyclone has a shoktty diode built in, would it hurt to use another one on the motor? or would that be worthless?
Old 02-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Alvin

I dont have to solder the cap back on coz I charge the cap with my batts connected to the esc with the switch off. That way as soon as charging is done, I take off connector clips from the wire and there you go.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Modena AL
Thanks RCCadet. That was all I needed

If they cyclone has a shoktty diode built in, would it hurt to use another one on the motor? or would that be worthless?
You should not need another shoktty diode except under extreme conditions, like a hot wind and use of additionals cells. The internal diode adds additional heat to the ESC, it is one of the reasons I chose an ESC with it external.

For stock applications I don't need the diode and with other ESC's it has to be externally attached no matter what and do you have a choice when it is internal......it adds resistance is what I am getting at. My Q is not so fragile that it needs one for stock but does for mod racing (12turn and less). The other ESC's that have it internal perform great.

Follow the manufacture's instructions!!

And the cap thing is getting out of hand again! What do you think JesseT?

Last edited by RCCadet; 02-14-2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I do not know much about those caps, but this is a question of legality.

As i understand it a capacitor is a place to store energy, therefore is it not essentially like running an extra cell, i have seen some people running caps, about the same size of a cell.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

A battery has 2 types of voltages you can measure,

Open circuit voltage, i.e. measure the battery directly with a voltmeter

and

Voltage under load, i.e. measure the voltage while a load like a resistor or motor, bulb etc is using the battery.

Sometimes if you draw a huge current *suddenly* from the battery (e.g. Engage turbo start mode), the voltage (under load) will drop rapidly before it rises again. This could possibly drop below the operating voltage of say receiver or even esc.

A capacitor when placed across the terminals of a battery will be charged, and act as an open circuit across the terminals. So when an extreme load is put across the batteries and capacitor(s) the capacitor's charge stored there will help prevent too rapid a drop in voltage. So if a motor sees high voltage all the while, there would be more "punch".

I have no idea about the high frequency thing though, the idea of ESC is to generate pulses *to* the motor, i can't see how it affects the battery.... since the esc is between motor and batt. I'd appreciate comments on this.

Disclaimer: I'm a comp engineering student, not eletronics engineering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.