R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Novak US Touring Car Championship

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

James- The bearings are just pressed.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's cool, I wonder if it can be done with regular bearings at home?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

James- It can be done. Dirt told me that he made a jig for cutting/enlarging the outdrives, which is the hard part if you wanna try this mod at home. But getting the bearing to fit properly isn't easy either, actually. (Once the bearings are pressed on, it won't be possible get them off the pin without damaging it). The depth bearing is a little too deep and a small portion of the shoulder of the CVD needs to be relieved so that the outside of the bearing is flush with the outside of the CVD pin...regardless, the photo that Gary posted is good for reference.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know the size of the bearing by chance would you? I would like to try this mod out.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

is there going to be a event thing in the event section, or are all the results going to posted here first? Good luck, to everyone, and take it easy, don't go for the whole race in the first turn, my experienced two cents... it rarely works, lol
Old 01-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i was at the controlled practice all day today...

when i left at the end of the day the fastest car on the track was Chris Tosolini's Yokomo touring car...not sure what motors he runs. but he ran the fastest lap of the day in mod practice... 11secs flat. cyrul, baker, blackstock, jucha and few others were able to come close but from what i remember tosolini had the most 11s flat.

i have about 50 pics i will post soon.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:38 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wouldn't be able to tell you on the 19-turn motors for which is the choice. I'll try to walk around and see what the good-word is.

For stock, It seems split on monsters and the new binary motors. There are probably more Binary motors out there, but I've seen quite a few monsters around.

I will post a picture of the outdrive bearings here in a minute or two. As J. said a couple posts back, it just removes the slight binding between the pin and the outdrive. If you've ever looked at a car run for a while with any type of plastic or composite, the pin wears into the outdrive. I would think that the bearings would remove that wear, and remove that binding.

They are also trying things with the belts. I don't know exactly what is different within the drivetrain ( in anything ), but the belt they are testing is longer than the stock belt. I don't know anything past this - Todd was pretty vague on his description of the drivetrain.

Traction came up in a major way today -- we have more traction than I've ever seen in the past two Novak races I have attended. Cars are starting to traction roll. It's not a big issue, but if you drive into the corner to hard, you'll know it.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:44 PM
RCTech Member #2

Here is Brian Kinwald's car. He and Todd are running the new drivetrain parts.

As usual, His chassis is pretty trick.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Novak US Touring Car Championship-novak04kinwald1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
RCTech Member #2

Hodge's car, showing the outdrives -- or BK bones as they've been called earlier in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Novak US Touring Car Championship-novak04hodge1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 PM
RCTech Member #2

Another shot of Todd Hodge's car.

This is the last picture I have for right now. I'll have more tomorrow night, and if there is anything you guys need to see, or know -- post away. I'll check back here before I head to bed, and Futureal's net is working, so I'm sure between the two of us, we can do our best answer your requests.
Attached Thumbnails R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Novak US Touring Car Championship-novak04hodge2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Cool pics! Thanks!

J
Old 01-08-2004, 09:38 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by JitsuGuy
Cool pics! Thanks!

J
No prob!

I've been running in practice with the OK guys a little bit. I know I was running with Derek and Bob in practice.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some more in depth pics of the losi cars would be sweet, especially checking out any little mods they have. Looks like kinwald has a 5th body post. Would be nice to get some close ups and ask him what it took to make it.

Later EddieO
Old 01-08-2004, 10:10 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I just got my net up and running, yea.

Not much time to post pictures yet tonight as I'm painting up a few bodies and truing some tires. I did get some close ups of Hodge's Losi car, of Paul Wynn's MI2 prototype, and of Tosolini's Yokomo car. Going to get Kinwald's and Cyrul's cars tomorrow, and maybe others.

Hodge is running the bones that Troy posted above, as well as a longer belt tensioner that they are testing, if you are familiar with the Losi car I think the idea is to eliminate the sharp "kink" in the belt as it goes around the spur/idler combination. No pics of that, though. Kinwald has the pretty standard stuff and is testing a new body, Pugeot I think. Most of the team drivers are going back to the Losi Alfa, a few still running the Skoda.

There is some super cool stuff on the MI2 cars, too much to even list. Haven't taken a closer look at any other yet.

As posted, Tosolini was ultra fast, so were Cyrul and Blackstock. Lap times are posted, but not in "heat" format, just individual laps. The RC Scoring Pro software is being used to do the laps, it's pretty slick, plus there is a Betabrite tote board that lists lap times as the drivers cross the line.

I'm off to work now, any more questions I'll try to answer.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:33 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by futureal
I Kinwald has the pretty standard stuff and is testing a new body, Pugeot I think. .
Brian is also testing the new belt and drivetrain.

EddieO - Yes, although I'm pretty sure it's just a body support for the body to rest on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.