R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   1s Lipo Battery Options?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/302140-1s-lipo-battery-options.html)

pejota 06-03-2009 07:27 PM

1s Lipo Battery Options??

With all of the talk about 1s Lipo batteries for WGT and some 13.5 oval classes...

Is THIS my only option?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWSR8&P=ML

SMC is the only company making 1s Lipos right now? I also checked Stormer and A-Main Hobbies and this battery was the only thing listed.

Secondly, do i need the voltage booster from Novak to run one of these batteries?

BullFrog 06-03-2009 07:32 PM

SMC is presently the only one with the single cell. But I know of two -three more coming out soon by others.I would recommend the novak booster or a reciever pack and voltage regulator set-up. the Novak would be the cheaper set-up.

pejota 06-03-2009 07:36 PM

Thank you sir!

I figured a few other companies would have something in the works.

adamge 06-03-2009 10:11 PM

Let's see, there's the SMC, the SMC, and the SMC. Lots of choices for the new standard pan car battery.

Jack Rimer 06-04-2009 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by adamge (Post 5894884)
Let's see, there's the SMC, the SMC, and the SMC. Lots of choices for the new standard pan car battery.

Don't forget to mention SMC.

Thirtybird 06-04-2009 07:48 AM

Why not get a 2s saddle pack (i.e. the IP 4200 saddle pack) and just use one of the bricks instead of both?

Cpt.America 06-04-2009 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Thirtybird (Post 5896335)
Why not get a 2s saddle pack (i.e. the IP 4200 saddle pack) and just use one of the bricks instead of both?

Cause youll end up with 2000-2500 mah, right? I also think their shape is a bit off... maybe a bit too high also?

Casper 06-04-2009 08:12 AM

Losi and Thunder power will have there packs out soon (both by the end of Aug I think thunder power sooner). I am sure others will follow as the lipo in pan cars takes off.

Thirtybird 06-04-2009 08:14 AM

each "brick" in the saddle pack I have is 3.7V / 4200 mAh and they are wired in series to run as a 7.4v pack.

The dimensions are a bit different from the link above... not as long and just a bit taller...

68.5mm x 46.5mm x 23mm

(essentially the shape of 3 sub-c's)

Got mine for $70 or so which would give you two 1s packs to run...

pejota 06-04-2009 08:24 AM

Splitting a saddle pack sounds like it would work unless you race at a ROAR track and need to use ROAR legal packs. I'm thinking that using a legal pack in a configuration other than it was designed would make it illegal. I'm sure someone can confirm or refute that idea.

End of August will be a little late for the summer racing season. I'm sure the SMC packs are great but supplies might be short if this option really takes off. Tower is already on back order as of 6/4 when i searched it.

BullFrog 06-04-2009 09:42 AM

As I said there are more companies coming out with the single cell soon.

nashrcracer 06-04-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thirtybird (Post 5896425)
each "brick" in the saddle pack I have is 3.7V / 4200 mAh and they are wired in series to run as a 7.4v pack.

The dimensions are a bit different from the link above... not as long and just a bit taller...

68.5mm x 46.5mm x 23mm

(essentially the shape of 3 sub-c's)

Got mine for $70 or so which would give you two 1s packs to run...

but if you took a 2s pack and put it in saddle pack for a 12th scale like a CRC 6pack or a 12L3 you get

serial 4200mah + 3.7voltsx2 = 7.4volts
parallel 3.7volts + 4200x2 = 8400mah

so does anybody make a 7.4 saddle pack that only has 2500mah that looks like a 2cell nimh pack.

adamge 06-04-2009 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Casper (Post 5896414)
Losi and Thunder power will have there packs out soon (both by the end of Aug I think thunder power sooner). I am sure others will follow as the lipo in pan cars takes off.

Two months into this game, the end of Aug is definitely not "soon." It's more like "perhaps eventually sometime next season."

Casper 06-04-2009 05:55 PM

Soon is all dependent on your point of view.

sportpak 06-05-2009 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by adamge (Post 5898213)
Two months into this game, the end of Aug is definitely not "soon." It's more like "perhaps eventually sometime next season."

It's a case of "hate the game, not the player." It puzzles me it's taken so long for other companies to participate. Oh well, the SMC pack isn't bad at all,and by fall I'm sure the "game" will be in full effect. Maybe we should take this month or two and enjoy the simplicity.

Ben

Casper 06-05-2009 07:25 AM

It will be nice to have as level a playing field as possible. The battery wars will start soon enough.

SwampDog32 06-05-2009 07:51 AM

I don't see why buying a hard case saddle pack won't work. All you'll have to buy from there is a booster or a reciver pack.....like a small helio pack..... Just my thought's... Any suggestions?

Casper 06-05-2009 07:55 AM

A lot of the saddle packs are pretty tall. Not sure they will fit under the shock all that well but you can put it side ways on the car like the t-plate guys.

Jack Rimer 06-05-2009 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Casper (Post 5900551)
It will be nice to have as level a playing field as possible. The battery wars will start soon enough.

Yes, I'm sure SMC will have something to up the ante too.:sneaky:

SwampDog32 06-05-2009 09:40 AM

That's what I have is a 12L4....Actually 2 of them I'd like to set up.

Anyone have any pictures of what they may look like? Thanks.

kyle478 06-05-2009 09:46 AM

Aero-Model/Hacker Brushless is taking pre-orders for the 1S 5000mAh 40C pack. I am being told by Thunder Power we should expect them in a couple weeks. http://www.aero-model.com/batteryDetails.aspx?id=race

nashrcracer 06-05-2009 10:55 AM

anybody know where to get the trakpower 2 cell saddle in the states?

http://www.trakpower.com/Flash/tp3200saddlenew.swf

it's only 207g and I think I can fit it in my xforce and just run parallel with it for 3.7volts 6400mah

I checked nexusracing.com and tower and neither have it in stock.

and you say it's all good that SMC is the only game in town right now but remember not everybody has one nor the track time to figure out the handling differences to be competive for the lipo classes that are going to be run. so now you have a class that is forced to change there car with only 1 brand option at THIS time. tell me that isn't sort of stupid. some companies can't pop a car out over night and expect to be competive with it. and some people don't have any love loss for Danny and won't run his stuff out of principle. personally I think his stuff is good stuff. but still, remember when Novak was the only real game in brushless motors and everybody screamed for the other companies to bring out brushless motors. well it's taken 4 or 5 years to get to here.

Thirtybird 06-05-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by nashrcracer (Post 5901241)
anybody know where to get the trakpower 2 cell saddle in the states?

http://www.trakpower.com/Flash/tp3200saddlenew.swf

it's only 207g and I think I can fit it in my xforce and just run parallel with it for 3.7volts 6400mah

I checked nexusracing.com and tower and neither have it in stock.

and you say it's all good that SMC is the only game in town right now but remember not everybody has one nor the track time to figure out the handling differences to be competive for the lipo classes that are going to be run. so now you have a class that is forced to change there car with only 1 brand option at THIS time. tell me that isn't sort of stupid. some companies can't pop a car out over night and expect to be competive with it. and some people don't have any love loss for Danny and won't run his stuff out of principle. personally I think his stuff is good stuff. but still, remember when Novak was the only real game in brushless motors and everybody screamed for the other companies to bring out brushless motors. well it's taken 4 or 5 years to get to here.

I saw one in the For Sale board yesterday. The IB 4200 30C saddle pack can be had on eBay for ~$70 + shipping - only downside is its coming from HK...

Casper 06-05-2009 12:21 PM

1s stuff is coming guys.

nashrcracer 06-25-2009 02:50 PM

20 days later and still nothing in the saddle pack model 70 days to vegas not a lot of time for testing.

Casper 06-25-2009 03:05 PM

The thunder power packs should be coming to shelves soon. They were building them last week.

Losi are not going to be out until Aug it looks like. :( (that is according to Horizon's web site)

lidebt2 06-25-2009 04:22 PM

1S

Look at: http://TEAMPOWERPUSH.COM

I have one on the way.

schurcr 06-25-2009 06:11 PM

Currently you have 3 ROAR approved options. SMC 4000 mah 25c, Thunderpower 5000 mah 40c and the Fantom 5000mah 40c. We should be seeing a new SMC battery fairly soon, so that may be the reason the 25c 4000 is on back order. Reedy will have a 5000 35c soon, sometime in July and Protek will have a 5000 35c as well this summer. So that would be 4 1s batteries in under a years time. We've only had the 1s SMC for under a year.

Just got my Thunderpower packs today so they are available. Call Thunderpower for availability. As far as using one of the 2s saddle packs for 1s racing, they won't be legal for ROAR racing or races using ROAR rules so they won't be legal at the IIC. Dimensions are all wrong. They definitely won't fit under a center shock and they might be too tall to fit under a 12th scale body.

Nash .... as far as a saddle pack, don't know if it'll ever happen as the above mentioned battery labels won't be building one. So if you're looking for a saddle before the IIC ..... I doubt it'll happen

SwampDog32 06-25-2009 07:50 PM

Thanks for the post schurc....I didn't know Fantom had a 1s battery. Matter of fact I just ordered myself 2. :);)

thisguy2849 06-25-2009 08:44 PM

Trinity has a 6000mh saddle pack already. Had it for a while now. fits fine under a WGT body

nashrcracer 06-25-2009 09:54 PM

thanks for the update ruben.
I was thinking on getting the trakpower. what would your thought be on roar allowing me to run just one of the saddle cells for 3.7 not as a roar rep but as a informed racer. as for the size yes it won't fit under a shock but I'm not fitting it under a shock I'm putting it all on one side of the car and then the speedo on the other. this puts more of my weight futher back in the car. and yes it will fit under a 12th body it's no taller then a single 4600 round cell might even be shorter. it's form factor puts the weight back in the place that it needs to be. in the battery slots instead of spreading it out to the front of the car like the SMC pack does with it's 4cell length. it's all about balance and if these idiots that keep telling me that it doesn't matter either get a clue or are just trying to blow sponsor smoke up my yang would listen they would understand that it makes a difference. so what if the car balanced with a 4000 smc it won't be if I run a 5000 fantom pack in it. I was thinking on getting the 3200 which would be more then enough power to run 8 minutes in 12th but it would be just as easy to get the 4800 and run it. as I could probably run 2 club racers before a recharge easy.

as for the trinity 6000 it's not roar legal so that is not an option. 5200 max I believe. correct me if I'm wrong ruben cus I have been before.

Scott B 06-25-2009 09:59 PM

Nash, if you already plan to run the 1cell on one side and electrics on the other why don't you just get one of the currently available ROAR approved 1cell packs??:confused::confused:

Gavin Creado 06-26-2009 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by nashrcracer (Post 5987116)
I was thinking on getting the trakpower. what would your thought be on roar allowing me to run just one of the saddle cells for 3.7 not as a roar rep but as a informed racer. as for the size yes it won't fit under a shock but I'm not fitting it under a shock I'm putting it all on one side of the car and then the speedo on the other. this puts more of my weight futher back in the car. and yes it will fit under a 12th body it's no taller then a single 4600 round cell might even be shorter. it's form factor puts the weight back in the place that it needs to be. in the battery slots instead of spreading it out to the front of the car like the SMC pack does with it's 4cell length. it's all about balance and if these idiots that keep telling me that it doesn't matter either get a clue or are just trying to blow sponsor smoke up my yang would listen they would understand that it makes a difference. so what if the car balanced with a 4000 smc it won't be if I run a 5000 fantom pack in it. I was thinking on getting the 3200 which would be more then enough power to run 8 minutes in 12th but it would be just as easy to get the 4800 and run it. as I could probably run 2 club racers before a recharge easy.

as for the trinity 6000 it's not roar legal so that is not an option. 5200 max I believe. correct me if I'm wrong ruben cus I have been before.

Nash, we should have some concrete information on our 1S saddle pack over the next couple of weeks. Hoping for end July release.

Nexus Racing 06-26-2009 07:00 AM

The Trakpower 20C's are not terribly quick, especially when you consider all the newer packs coming out...that's why we quit carrying them. All about balance might not be the best strategy for you this time around...you'll probably lose the ptA to ptB battle every time - especially since everyone running the class will probably switch to either the TP 5000 or SMC4900 (if it is legal in time) at or before the race. Let's not forget that SMC hampered the 4000's performance intentionally to keep it small and help build the class.

I haven't tried the new SMC4900 or the TP5000 single cells yet, but I can imagine that they'll be plenty quicker around the track whether I'm 20g off balance or not.

schurcr 06-26-2009 08:08 AM

Nash ....... I've seen with my own 2 eyes a t-bar car with an SMC 25c on one side and the electronics on the other and the car balanced out and still had to have over 25 gr of ballast weight added to make min weight. He didn't even swap the servo to move the weight. He's using a standard spektrum receiver not the mini and LRP TC Spec controller. Does it work? Yes it does. There are a lot more people out there doing this.

As far as using the half of a saddle pack. It won't happen in ROAR rules under this watch. The 1S brick we have puts everyone on the same playing field just like the 2S brick. BTW ..... there are no capacity limits in ROAR lipo battery rules. Just case sizes intended to limit the theoretical capacity limits. Changing the form factor or allowing different form factors could have adverse effects in chassis design. We don't want a specific form factor dictating future chassis designs. This is a huge concern for all the chassis mfrs I've discussed this with and they are all concerned with a saddle pack or changed configuration making their current or future chassis obsolete.

Nash ..... just get a 1s brick, balance the car and try it. You might be surprised how well the car works. I know of a few stock super stock national caliber drivers that refuse to give up their T-bar cars and are running 1s very successfully. I also know of a few national caliber drivers that were T-bar die hard's that have gone the way of a link car. Be a little more open minded and give it a shot.

timmay70 06-26-2009 08:30 AM

That will be tough for Nash, Ruben, he still hasn't given up on big hair music...
Just think, tights, spandex, and lipstick on men, and t-bars... :)

schurcr 06-26-2009 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by timmay70 (Post 5988544)
That will be tough for Nash, Ruben, he still hasn't given up on big hair music...
Just think, tights, spandex, and lipstick on men, and t-bars... :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: ....... please .... that's a visual no one needed ...... rock on Nash .... in the privacy of your own home please..lol:eek::eek:

nashrcracer 06-26-2009 10:22 AM

not sure about the lipstick part but Ratt ruled the world in the 80s! round and round baby!

and I did pretty good with a tplate at the carpet nats.

nashrcracer 07-02-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Creado (Post 5987959)
Nash, we should have some concrete information on our 1S saddle pack over the next couple of weeks. Hoping for end July release.

I'll be first in line to buy one!!!!!

alf.skaar 07-03-2009 12:48 AM

I agree with you, i want to run a 69x47x23.5mm from a split saddle pack to.
the link friendly lipos 1 s Is not made for t-bar cars
you will get to much weight to fare forward, the battery Is to long

92x46.5x18.5 Thunder Power 5000mAh 1S Lipo
69x47x23.5mm Nosram / LRP split from a saddle pack

Alf :)
Norway