Battery charge amp & voltage readout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery charge amp & voltage readout?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Battery charge amp & voltage readout?

When you look at a batteries matching label you see some brands that are charged at 5 amps & some are charged at 6 amps
so wouldn't the one at 6 amps naturally show higher voltage? for arguments sake say there run on the same matcher. so if the one thats charged at 5 amps has the exact same voltage as the one at 6 amps the one at 5 amps is the better battery, as far as voltage is concerned?
Old 12-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

The average voltage is taken from the discharge curve not the charge curve. You thinking is right but it's from the discharge curve, a 30A discharge will yield a lesser voltage readout than a 20A discharge.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Charlieo,

I belive you are correct... charging at 6 amps will likely give slightly higher discharge numbers then if you chared at 5 amps. However, it's a very small differance from what I hear, and for the most part doesn't make any significant differance.

Keep in mind too that even amongst the same matchers equpment, there will be small differances in the numbers as a result in diffferances between one 4 cell matcher and another. These differances are likely to be greater then the differance you'd see between a cell charged at 5 volts, vs 6 volts...

IMHO one of the most important asspects of any perticular matcher, is how well they maintain their equipment and/or how often and how well they calibrate it.

Measureing differances in 100ths of a volt is very hard to do accuartely on the type of equpment that is in use. Even to get within 5/100ths is likely a difficult thing to do.

It's my further understanding that room temperature where the cells are matched makes noticable differances in the numbers produced...

In other words... Don't get too concerned about a couple hunderths of a volt... Find a matcher you trust, and buy what you can afford.