Old 02-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

TAG
Old 02-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Ok,thanks guys
Old 02-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Any of yous foams guys use any other kind of foam?? I have been using JACO for my TC's indoor and have always used Ellegi for my Serpents. Just interested to hear what is new and happening out there.
IKE
Old 02-09-2002, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

I`ve been using Micro Systems tires. Their shore ratings have been more consistant than the Ellegi stuff I`ve had.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

I had a few sets of Micros, I chunked them when I got taken out!!!!!!!!!! damn hackers.........Other than that I found their durometers to be much more accurate, but it came down to what I could get easier, and the Ellegi's won out. So that is what I went with. Where are you getting your Micros from???
IKE
Old 02-09-2002, 06:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I prefer rubber tires. And contrary to some peoples belief, you can chunk foams without hitting stuff.

As for the sliding rubber thing, when I watch guys run foams on parking lots, they seem to slide a whole lot more than the rubber tires do.

I just like rubber tires on outdoor asphalt.

You can keep the carpet and the Foams!
Old 02-09-2002, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

F.D.- A buddy of mine was getting them from the importer,I still have some 1/8 if you need them.

Darkseid, I don`t think that anyone`s knocking choices in tires.
It seems that whatever someone started out with seems to be their favorite.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by FoamDonuts
hey Saints,
I dont know if I will get in trouble for this or not. Steve Wang is the owner of www.speedtechrc.com he sells a ton of different kit and parts for TC both gas and elec. I try and buy my kits from my LHS and everything else from Steve. He has special Tire Combos and you can get the best deals there. His sorex deal is the one I was referring to. You can get 4 wheels, 4 sorex tires and 4 yok inserts. Hope this helps
IKE
You can also get them with HPI and sorex inserts. He has combos on all of the yokomo tires too.

Josh
Old 02-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You know, i like foams a lot. The biggest things in keeping foams from chunking are correct body mounting and proper track construction. The body should cover the front portion of the tires slightly to protect them.

some guys say " oh we would all have to buy truers". I've noticed most people with trues are super nice about letting other people true up their stuff. And really, if the track supports foam tires it's a good investment for them to have a truer.

One last thing I know everybody says that rubber lasts a long time but if someone is willing to put on new tires every week, you are done. I would say if you start foams at a reasonable size you can get at least 20-30 CONSISTANT runs out of them.

Good luck everybody!
Old 02-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys,
Now you are all in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehehhehehehehe, I too have seen people that slide on foams outside, these are usually the guys that dont have their cars setup correct and dont trust their cars. You can win or lose a race with your setup(that isnt anything that you guys dont already know) I set my cars up to run very high traction all the time. As for the truing issue and the chunking issue. The only time that I have chunked a foam is when I get taken out and hit a board or when I break and hit a board. You can really cut down on the chunking if you take a little extra time after truing stuff and sand the edges into a radius. I make my truer available to all that want to use it at my new track, and since it is the Hudy Excellent I really dont have to do anything tedious with it. I just set it and walk away and so the time that it takes is insignificant and it is a service that I enjoy providing to the guys that dont want to drop the 400bucks on a truer. I had to because everything that I race that is onroad is on foams and I had to make sure that I had a truer available to me at all times. Keep in mind that you dont have to true brand-new tires down if you dont want to, you can run them at the height they come out of the bags at and still be much faster than you would be on rubber and you get more life out of them. I true my JACO foams down to 2.35in when I pull them out of the bag, that combined with my setup on my TC3(blah MIssion is on its way)I get about 45 runs out of them in mod sedan. You cant get that out of a set of 20r Sorexes with Hard Yok inserts. I run the 20's because (at a certain track that will remain nameless they require you to run rubber on all cars, save for 1/12) that is the only thing that I can get close to the same lap times as I do with my foams. I also have to slide my car to go just that little bit faster. On foams I run 35laps on rubber my best is 30laps. This is on two different tracks but their layouts are similar and the dimensions are exactly the same. My laptimes dont lie to my brain on this one. So, have I converted anyone yet????????hehehhehehe keep the opinions coming guys I really love this topic.
IKE
Old 02-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

I forgot to add this in in my last rant. Did you guys notice that the PRO MOD sedan guys at the birds are all within 7 seconds of each other? That is another reason I love Foam, competition. K thats all I had to add in.
IKE
Old 02-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ROBK

Rob you have mail (pm). I agree with you bro as you know. Foams are the way to go (especially when they are on these rocket cars known as 1/12th)hehehehe.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

So what do you guys think about worlds still being on Rubber?????hmmmmmmmmmmm..... post your thoughts.
IKE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.