Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Could someone suggest how to get more on-power steering? Off-power steers great. This is for my VTA car, on carpet.

My set up:

Front-
2 hole piston
30wt oil
Gold spring
Top of shock, second hole in from the outside (middle)
Bottom of shock, mounted on inside hole
Ball diff
4 deg caster
-1.5 camber
camber link - top, inside hole
No sway bar
2mm spacer Ackermann setting

Rear-
2 hole piston
20wt oil
Blue Spring
Bottom of shock, outside hole
Ball diff
-1.5 camber
3° toe in
2°*anti squat
No sway bar
short wheel base

I was wondering if a spool or a really tight diff would help. I'll take any ideas.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Not sure if I ever posted my TC3 here. It uses the Diggity Designs XLR8 carbon fiber conversion kit. Built it awhile ago and never had a chance to run it. The kit includes full CF chassis, upper deck, shock towers, and alloy arms, open bulks, steering rack, and hingepin holders. Not sure about the alloy arms though, might switch back to plastic. Uses a Mamba Max Pro 1-cell ESC and Novak Velociti 7.5R motor. Has a few other upgrades like ceramic diff balls and the FT alloy threaded shocks.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What's happening (and please correct me if i'm wrong) is that you're rear end is compressing when you punch the throttle, reducing weight on the front, thus the lack of on power steering.

Remember, one change at a time!!!

I'd start with a heavier rear spring. AE Gold in the rear. If you want to really test this theory, change to AE Red in the rear and see what happens.

That's the easiest place to start. HOWEVER, i'm not a big fan of that 20wt oil in the rear. I'd go with 35wt oil front and rear. Easier to change a spring right now than the oil, but something to consider in the future. I've never run VTA on carpet, but i always thought you could go heavier on springs and oil on carpet due to the level of grip you get. I'm sure others will comment on that idea.

Remember, ONE CHANGE AT A TIME!!!!

Originally Posted by CSeils
Could someone suggest how to get more on-power steering? Off-power steers great. This is for my VTA car, on carpet.

My set up:

Front-
2 hole piston
30wt oil
Gold spring
Ball diff
4 deg caster
-1.5 camber
No sway bar

Rear-
2 hole piston
20wt oil
Blue Spring
Ball diff
-1.5 camber
3° toe in
2°*anti squat
No sway bar
short wheel base

I was wondering if a spool or a really tight diff would help. I'll take any ideas.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CSeils

My set up:

Front-
2 hole piston
30wt oil
Gold spring
Ball diff
4 deg caster
-1.5 camber
No sway bar

Rear-
2 hole piston
20wt oil
Blue Spring
Ball diff
-1.5 camber
3° toe in
2°*anti squat
No sway bar
short wheel base

Thanks
When Iran my TC3 (some while ago) on carmet, I ran one-way (so I have no experience with a spool in a tc3) and used a rear shock tower upfront (loved it). shocks more stand-up right position.
In general a spool and one-way provide more rip on power, but slightly understeer.
Also your oil/spring setup is too soft for carpet.
oil try starting at 60/40 f to r. And harder springs. (I can't remember Associateds springs but I do remember bleu was (almost) the softest, which is no good for carpet.
A good starting point is Tamiya white spring up front and bleu at he back. he spring set is quite affordable luckily)
Al these things together make a way better balance and carpet car.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That's all good advice as well, but keep a few things in mind.

You're racing VTA and some places frown on front one-ways due to the skill level it takes to not run each other over because of the lack of brakes. You'll have to check with your track on that one.

VTA tires are also way harder than what is normally run in carpet TC. To compensate, many people are running higher ride heights and softer shocks to increase grip. The theory is the more the suspension works, the less you have to rely on the grip of the tires. More grip from the tires means lower ride heights and harder shocks.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

i have a stock tc3 and i want to make it into a drifter. the only upgrade it has is a orion method r modified 13t engine with a dynamite tazer 12t esc. i need some advice on making it into a good drifter.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Rookie

also if i was to get the Diggity Designs XLR8 carbon fiber conversion kit could i use my engine and esc on it until i could get a brushless engine and esc for it????
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Yes, any electronics you could use on the stock TC3 you could use on the Diggity Designs XLR8.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Rookie

whould you recomend that i upgrade to a brushless engine for my tc3? if so what is a good engine and esc?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

since the Diggity Designs XLR8-V2 is designed for brushless racing, could you still use any stock tc3 electronics for it?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok, I'm a little late to the game on this one, LOL. We have a break in our racing schedule for the next two weeks, and I needed to change out shock oil anyway and I figured now was as good a time as any to upgrade my old TC3 shocks on my VTA car.

Anyone install this yet on their old TC3/TC4 shocks? It's part number 31123.

I downloaded the instructions, and they don't match the kit components. It might have in the first editions of the kits, but is surely doesn't now! It's closer to the 31120 VCS2 shock rebuild kit with the aluminum caps thrown in. Even the pictures online at rc10.com and Tower Hobbies are wrong! I've looked at about a dozen kits locally and through email with other ebay retailers......all the same (TC5 components)

So I cross referenced the assembly of the VCS2 shocks with the TC5 manual. The old shocks/upgrade kit call for using 2 red o-rings, but the TC5 shows an o-ring spacer and a single o-ring.

Oh, and the seal retainer picture in the upgrade kit is different from the one provided (as mentioned before, it's basically all TC5 parts).

If you've installed this kit, which did you do, 2 o-rings or 1 o-ring space and 1 o-ring?

Anything other quirk about this kit I should know about?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
If you've installed this kit, which did you do, 2 o-rings or 1 o-ring space and 1 o-ring?

Anything other quirk about this kit I should know about?

Thanks!

You can honestly do whatever you want. Two seals add more friction and take away a small amount of overall traction and suspension action.

More spacers last longer, but the o ring will need replacement long before the spacers need replacement... so you have to swap em out anyways.

Your decision is totally subjective to your needs. If you really wanted to know, i would build up two sets of shocks... one built one way and one the other. Nothing teaches better than experience.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaveW
If you really wanted to know, i would build up two sets of shocks... one built one way and one the other. Nothing teaches better than experience.
That's the route that I've taken! I'll use the 2 week break to test and see what difference there may be, if any. Also, I'm not sure I'm liking the .090 travel limiter, so I'll try with and without on that, too.

All this for a TC3/VTA
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
That's the route that I've taken! I'll use the 2 week break to test and see what difference there may be, if any. Also, I'm not sure I'm liking the .090 travel limiter, so I'll try with and without on that, too.

All this for a TC3/VTA
You talking about an inner or outer travel limiter? You can do either...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaveW
You talking about an inner or outer travel limiter? You can do either...
Actually, the outer .090 as recommended in the kit. Seems to dramatically limit up travel. I'll test it on the track and see how it settles down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.