Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default steering

i run on a very tight technical track and need more steering. it is medium traction asphalt and pretty rough. any suggestiong on how to get more steering in general would be apperciated. thanx.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Check about two or three pages back in this thread, basically the "F" block places the hingepins lower and further apart than the standard "R" block. This gives you less toe-in, but a wider track in the rear than going to a 2degree rear block(ie. R-2-0). This also adjust's your anti-squat, and changes the role center of the rear of the car. (I forgot the EXACT amount of anti-squat it gives, but VERY close to 0degrees when running a R+X+2 block in the rear)(As for roll center, it essentially raises the roll center of the rear of your car by lowering the positions of the blocks) You could shim the block so it sits higher and gives the same hingepin height as the stock "R" block, and it will still have about 1degree less of rear toe-in.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: steering

Originally posted by tc3rookie
i run on a very tight technical track and need more steering. it is medium traction asphalt and pretty rough. any suggestiong on how to get more steering in general would be apperciated. thanx.
On power, Off power, or middle of the corner?
Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Default Kickup

How do you achieve negative Kickup (-2) on the front end. Do you put a different block in the front rear or something like that.

Coxy.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

How do you achieve negative Kickup (-2) on the front end. Do you put a different block in the front rear or something like that.
I believe that you would use the F-0 block in the front, then put some washers under the rear front mount. That would give you anti-dive
Old 02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I tapped a pipe and the screw that holds the front steering hub in on the bottom ripped out. It didnt crack or anything it just ripped out. I know about this stripping out but ripping out and not breaking? Has anyone put helicoils in the hubs to prevent this? I dont think ive seen helicoils that small and if someone has tell me what size they are.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Post stripped hub

The size of the set screw is 5-40x 1/8.you can get helicoils from www.mcmastercarr.com The only problem is, the tool to insert them is $70 If I remember correct.Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Double checked the size of the screw its 4-40. Too bad the tool to use its 70 bucks and the one that wont fit it its only 33. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Post helicoil

I might be misunderstanding what screw you are talking about. But if its the little set screw(asc#3862) that holds the hinge pin in it is 5-40x1/8 which requires the $70 istalation tool.IF you are talking about the screw that holds the hub to castor block (asc#3875)then its a 4-40x11/32.You can get the 4/40 helicoil with part #93060a001 (hand install tool)from mcmastercarr Check it out . I used to have thread repair inserts that was installed with a flat head screwdriver , I wiil see if I can remember who made them .They worked great,still have them in my car.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Ill save you guys a little money. Make your own installation tool.
Find the longest screw of the size you are fixing. on the end grind off half of the bolt just down 2 or 3 threads so that looking from the end it looks like half a pie shape. now on the half slightly raised up grind it at a angle from the high side to the low side you just ground off. thats it, the point you just made on the end will catch the break off tab and pull the insert in. Some inserts do not have the break off for those just glue or solder a coil from the bottom of the screw the thickness of a coil so that you can screw a coil on the end and it will stop when it hits the one you glued on. the one you glued will push the other one in. You do need the special taps but not the tools. Ill make one tomorrow and post a pic.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DaveW
Proficar403 was in my main as well, he was two seconds ahead of me, and drove very well all weekend! His TC3 center brace pictured earlier in this thread was sweeeet! Ill see ya at TFB soon!! MikeWebb, it was good to meet you man! I didnt get to watch the mains but i hope you did well! Arvin Nano, good to see you again bro, hope to run with ya again next year! Melvin, all i can say is, thank you for all of your help, it was great to pit/race with you again! Just makes me miss racing with ya all the more... Until next year...

- Dave
Nice to meet you to Dave. The Track was a mess come time for the mains. In Stock I hit a nail or something coming onto the long straight (right int he middle of the track) and it ripped about 1/4 off my rear tires which were at about 55mm to begin with so going into the sweeper my car hooked really bad and smacked the wall and broke.

19 turn main it was just like the qualifiers. I got no love!!!. Smacked in the first turn and poped a ball cup off. Did not knowit until the end of the run because my car was great on all of the track except on the short straight were it would hook when I took the left hand turn. All the right hand turns I could make great.

I broke in 4 of the 6 quals. Never got a clean run. Did a 25:5:04 in the club race which would have put me in the middle of the B but I never broke out of the 23 range in the quals. I either got hit by someone and broke or I would have to sit behind someone and wait to pass them and then when I did pass them I would be out of the line and bouncing off the boards. I should have done the 1 second rule and punted the people out of my way but that really is not fair to them but next year I will definitly be doing that.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:44 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Mike_Webb that sounds like the beating I took at Mimi's this Saturday. I broke more stuff 7 runs than I did in two years of racing. Still made the A in 19 Turn but my car is still black and blue and has ice on it to keep the swelling down.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hear ya on the one second rule Mike! I know there were some people that were upset with me this year because i was a "little" agressive in my qualifiers, but last year i did VERY poorly and one of the reasons was my polite passing. This year i wasnt polite. When i was on the rear bumper and gave a little tap and there was no movement, i drove up under the rear bumper and spun them out of my way. At least they didnt get put into a wall and broken. The lesser of two evils in my eyes. There was one guy in my last qualifier that got full contact with my front bumper at the end of the straight. He was dead and parked right in the middle and i had no way around him, it all happened so fast. He went against the announcers table... and i got a crease in my body! Coulda been worse, but getting a clean line at that race is really hard, so i feel ya on that issue!

As far as the ballcup issue goes, i didnt have any break, but i had them bend in practice, and my car hooked going left, and drove like a dream going right. Melvin, my pit bud, told me about these Schumacher ballcups, grippa is all that is on the header card with a part #. I had no more ballcup issues after installing them. He, however, bent Lunsford turnbuckles after putting the grippa on his car... nothing like reusing ballcups and tossin your tweaked titanium!!

After i got rid of my glitch issue, and got used to driving on carpet again, i picked up a lap every qualifier. Next year my mission will be preparation, and definitely MORE practice. Racing on the rug once a year is not acceptable. Ill be seeing Arun at TFB for practice prior to the Birds next year. He was fast too. Do you guys plan on going to Ohio for the event there? Im tapped on cash, but might can make it. What was your final setup mike? Im just curious, Melvin ran something totally different than i did, and my car was different then the team drivers cars.

WYD: I remember Mimi's, alot of comp there with small lanes. It was freight train laps till the straight with little area for passing, is it still like that there? Last time i was there, andrew, mike, todd, and them boys were the ones to gun for. Dammit, i need to move, i hate having no local track to practice on!! I know, i know, sucks to be me...

- Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

I broke 2 Steering Racks this year. I have never broken a steering rack. The same guy in both my 19 turn quals did that to me on the short straight. I would go wide to go fast around the corner and he was against the boards and slammed me to make it around the corner. Hit me right in my front wheel every time and it snapped the part.

Most of my breaks were when you would come up on a group of cars and they all started slamming each other and I ended up getting the raw end of it. I think I will do like my friend Mark did... (he broke in the first qual) but I will not run the first Qual so that you are in the last heat after the reshuffle... out of 10 cars there were only 5 cars in his heat because some people did not show up. He was able to turn back to back 25 5:01 and 25 5:02 in the second and third qual . Also the people in his qual would move over for him since he was very fast. Most of the guys in my qual would want to race you becuase they figured they were just as fast as you are.

I am going to be very aggresive next year!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by MarchTC3
Double checked the size of the screw its 4-40. Too bad the tool to use its 70 bucks and the one that wont fit it its only 33. Thanks for the help.
I bought a helicoil kit for $32 that included everything you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.