TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Good News!

Folks,

yesterday was a great day for my TC3.

- I swapped my Hitec 525MG for a JR 8411 (my 8th scaler back-up throttle servo, very trustworthy) because I remembered some old horror stories about drifting neutral on Hitec servos, not due to the servo arm moving on the output gear, but to electronic problems.
- I looked in detail into the rollbars... it looks like one of them was slightly bent. I bent it back with pliers, although I'm not too sure it's any better than before...
- I trimmed as much foam I could from the bumper in order to be absolutely sure that the front wheels would not touch it under transients.

and, miracle, the car now accelerates straight (servo or rollbars(?)), and turn the same both sides (servo rollbars(?) bumper), even on old rubbers with a 10 triple.

Saying I'm relieved is an understatement. Thanks to all for the hlp and suggestions.

Now for the rear toe problem... Although I don't really agree with how MystRacing is complaining, because I'm sure Tony tries his best to help us on this board, I can understand Myst's point. I believe technical companies in general (not especially RC) have a bad habit of blaming circumstances, context, or even the users to dissimulate design flaws... like when Microsoft patches outlook to reinforce security against viruses, when it's actually a security hole... that kind of stuff. No matter how I dislike being told that my car is crooked because I assembled it wrong, on the other hand, it's not so uncommon for RC companies to get an RTR car back under warranty because a kid plugged the speedo backwards, and I can also admit I did something wrong. I guess it's a difficult balance to handle... Just remember that one of RC's biggest guns, Serpent, lost LOTS of customer in 2001 and 2002 because they were unable to admit the NT's and Veteq's design flaws, as claimed by their most faithful users, were real... The wind turns pretty quick in the RC world. But evry time I had an AE car, I was pretty happy with customer support (is GAry still working there? This guy was pure gold)

Anyways... my car is now cured, and I'm a happy camper yeepee! yeepee!

Later yall
Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-21-2002 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default oh yeah...

... the 4-scale experiment.

Sounds like those of you claiming that total lateral and longitudinal weight don't change when changing the spring were right... and I was wrong.

here's my experiment.

Measurement 1: balanced car
FL 354g
FR 352g
RL 367g
RR 379g
total left: 721g
total right: 731g
total front: 706g
total rear: 736g

Measurement 2: completely unscrewed RR shock collar:
FL 240g
FR 465g
RL 478g
RR 266g
total left: 718g
total right: 731g
total front: 705g
total rear: 744g

I guess the results speak for themselves... There is a slight discrepancy on total measurements. These are good quality scales, but you probably can even buy better ones... if you've got the gold. However, the highest incoherence we have is on rear weight, 8 grams on more than 700 grams, ie a little higher than 1%... hard not to agree then.

jsp: thanks for making me see the light.

Cheers,
Paul and his now-straight-tracking-FTTC3

PS: I have the pictures of the scales display to prove it...

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-21-2002 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LoneStar,

Do you have a good carpet set-up using Take-Off Corally Type A ?

Regards
Old 11-21-2002, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Ralf,

non, pas de setup... je viens juste de toucher la voiture, et j'ai ma première course avec, sur moquette justement, ce samedi.

just a few words in French... it's refreshing on this forum!
Go chek Tony's site, I'm sure there's a few carpet setups there.

Later

Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

First off, sorry I exploded. MystRacing. Sorry to you too that I might have come off a little pissy. Well, I was.

Anyway. More parts are sold than kits, I'm guessing. As for sheer numbers, I would have no idea. I guess I could ask around but I'm not sure that is 'common' information....something I could tell the public, you know??? But it won't hurt to ask...those numbers have to be SOMEWHERE!!!

I was sort of exaggerating when I said millions but, when you think about it.... kits, parts and a 5 year run. Might just be millions....

French. Nice. But, Lonestar....what did you say???? heh heh

Last edited by TPhalen; 11-21-2002 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Tony,

Lonestar said that he doesn't have a carpet set-up for me, he is still new to the TC3 and will have his first race on carpet this saturday...

a bientot,
Old 11-21-2002, 08:15 AM
jsp
Tech Regular

Lonestar: The numbers you gave for the balanced car are not balanced. The cross weight of left front and right rear is 14 grams heavy. To balance the car, add the left rear to the right front and it should equal the right rear plus the left front. These are the cross weights and they should be equal. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Tony - Sorry, My Bad, I read something into your post that wasn't there. I deleted the posts.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

No prob....deleted my post also.....
Old 11-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jsp
Lonestar: The numbers you gave for the balanced car are not balanced. The cross weight of left front and right rear is 14 grams heavy. To balance the car, add the left rear to the right front and it should equal the right rear plus the left front. These are the cross weights and they should be equal. Good luck.
Hmmmm? You mean you don't want the total Left weight to equal the total Right weight?

Lonestar, you are about 3/10's ounce off balance left/right.

So, all, which is it supposed to be? L/R or FL+RR/RL+FR ?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default car balancing

Folks,

thanks for all the comments. I believe at some point the noise in the measurements is too high to go any further in adjustments... if I'm off 14g on 700, it's only 2%. It could be a sticky shock shaft, an insert that's slightly softer in a tire, an air bubble in a shock, or Alec Issigonis knows what else...

For me, the car was balanced the 4 packs I drove it yesterday night.... It didn't display any parasitic behaviour that I could feel from the drivers' stand any more. I'm feeling like fiddling with it any more for a 2% weight difference, if any. now I wanna DRIVE! Yeah baby!

I finally fitted some foams and a front one way on the car yesterday night. After four turns, I was turning laps in the low 14's (14.2 to 14.5). I opened the toe a little bit, and reduced droop. At the next pack I was turning 14's flat. My best lap on this track in my Axis was a 13.99, and I'm pretty sure I have a nice progression margin left with my TC3.

I broke a front A-arm though. This is my first breakage on any car since I started runnign electric again. I guess old demons never really disappear... I also lost a coupe of wheels because of these stupid blue wheel nuts that are too thick. A buddy of mine lent me some B3 wheelnuts for tomorrow's race. I suggest they get included in the next batch of kits... There's no point in throwing these big fat blue nylstops in the FT kits if they're so thinck you cant get to the nylon part!

The part I like most with this car is maintenance. Swiching from a diff to a one way is a 2mn deal... That's some serious progess ofver the double deck cars!

I have to admit I'm happy with my new ride. I bought a set of front A-arms for tomorrow, though. Too bad that stupid importer hasn't started distributing the newer ones here (switzerland) yet...

Have a good WE yall

Paul
Old 11-22-2002, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

I always had to thread the nuts on backwards when running foams. I never lost any, but I never ran more than a 19t motor. I think Trinity makes some lower profile nuts.

So where in Austin did you race??
Old 11-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Just get the low profile nuts, they stay on really well.

Hey Tony, did you get my email?
Old 11-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Just get the low profile nuts, they stay on really well.

Hey Tony, did you get my email about droop/uptravel?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Interesting tire wear (again) on my new Take Offs......

Running my TC3 this afternoon, already I am noticing a wear line on the left front tire just to the inside. It is (for lack of better words) beginning to form a groove. My camber is about 1 degree. I noticed this before on other tires, as well. It appears to only happen on the left side tires - both front and rear. Although, so far, I don't notice the left rear tire showing this. I am talking about only after 3 packs. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

I am wondering if this might possibly be a problem inherent with the TC3, since it seems the most weight is on the left side. Now; I haven't added any additional weighting to the right. Does this make any sense, or am I out in left field?

And.....these Take Offs are premounted, by the way.

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-22-2002 at 12:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.