Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Speed Passion Thread >

The Speed Passion Thread

Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Competition 2.0 Endless Offroad 7.5

I have this motor(still new in box) which i've seen advertised as 6000kv and 450watts.Is this true?The rating seems high for a 7.5 motor, also what are the differences in the Offroad motors compared to the other Competition 2.0 motors?Other than the cans being of a closed design I haven't been able to find any info.This motor will be going in a monster truck along with a GT 2.0 LPF or GT 2.0 pro and 2 cell lipo so any suggestions on which esc and/or settings would help too.

Last edited by Got sand?; 02-25-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by christmasracing
fdr is final drive ratio you need a temp gun to check im runnin about 135 indoors 50 degrees on carpet the re cal on your radio will only make your throttle less linear and wont help do you have the new 107 program in your esc its a little faster than the 110
Ok... got myself a temp gun yesterday... at least now I know for sure how hot i'm running after 5minutes... will have to wait for friday for this bit of info...

I played around with timing yesterday... I was never interested in changing timing on the motor cause of temp issues... but out of curiosity last night, i maxed out timing on the motor with stock timing on the esc (110 software)... wow...WOW... the motor now screams at full throttle... this was a 'tabletop' test.

I think i will have a temp issue for sure this time... made 4 quick pulls bringing motor up gradually to full throttle, and the motor and esc was already warm... motor was registering 36 degrees and esc 40 degrees (celcius)... i know... still a long way to go... but this was a tabletop test though... if on the track with load and all... i just cant imagine... will have to take temp readings every 2 minutes just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Speed Passion 1S Boost

Originally Posted by Cain
yeah, i need something here for my current Speed Passion GT2.0's as if from what I am understanding how the 107 software works in 1/12, The Tekin's are just on another level.
Originally Posted by abailey21
Real men run 2S
Adam is there 1S Boost from speed Passion ?

Originally Posted by Conrad
Does anyone have a lead time on the Cirtix motors? In particular the 5500 and 8000kv versions that will be coming later on.

I'm guessing these will be compatible with all current brushless speedo's or there would be much point in releasing them but what about the wind limit on some esc's. Example the LPF has a 5.5t lower limit, could it run the 8000kv motor given that it runs cooler and with less amp draw?
looks to be into March
That's Great! Adam.

And when is the new software release ?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I <heart> irgo.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

any news update on GT2 ?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default type of lipo battery for the Speedpassion 3.5T

Guys need some help, I'm running a GT 2.0 Pro of speedpassion with a 3.5 T, spur gear 74, pinion 12, which type of lipo would be recommended to use.

Also if you have a thicker cable type Awg8 from the lipo to the ESC battery connectors are Awg12 is it a good setup

Will be in waiting for anyones reply.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
I recently posted that I had an SP 13.5 v3 that seemed to have sensor problems...
I tore down my SP 13.5 v3 and found that the rotor to sensor spacing was approximately 2mm -- roughly twice what Shawn had recommended! I have adjusted the spacing down to 1mm, and have only been able to do a workbench test, but Tuesday night I hope to get in a full track test on "practice night"... I'll report my findings then in the hope that some of this might help someone else...
Well -- It's Tuesday night, and I got some track time... Sadly, I am as confused and frustrated as ever...

The first run, the motor started out strong, then about half way into the run, began to go soft, cogging at low speeds, etc. (all the old symptoms)... I checked all the connections, etc, and everything was as it should be... Still "cogged"... I turned everything off, then powered back up, essentially resetting the ESC -- no cogging! (It would appear that once the ESC switches to "sensorless" operation, it stays that way until "rebooted"..?)

I went out for a second run, and the motor ran strong for the full run...? (Good news, but since nothing had been changed since the first run, also confusing...?)

I let the motor cool and made a third run -- the motor ran strong for the full run... (again good news, but also confusing...)

So -- I don't "trust" the motor, but it DID complete two full runs without problems... After struggling for two weeks, it's hard to go with it again, but it's also hard to "shelf" what might be a good motor...

PS: I cannot take the sensor-to-rotor spacing any lower -- to get to 1mm, I had to relocate ALL the shims from the back side of the rotor to the output side...

Any advice...?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Well -- It's Tuesday night, and I got some track time... Sadly, I am as confused and frustrated as ever...

The first run, the motor started out strong, then about half way into the run, began to go soft, cogging at low speeds, etc. (all the old symptoms)... I checked all the connections, etc, and everything was as it should be... Still "cogged"... I turned everything off, then powered back up, essentially resetting the ESC -- no cogging! (It would appear that once the ESC switches to "sensorless" operation, it stays that way until "rebooted"..?)

I went out for a second run, and the motor ran strong for the full run...? (Good news, but since nothing had been changed since the first run, also confusing...?)

I let the motor cool and made a third run -- the motor ran strong for the full run... (again good news, but also confusing...)

So -- I don't "trust" the motor, but it DID complete two full runs without problems... After struggling for two weeks, it's hard to go with it again, but it's also hard to "shelf" what might be a good motor...

PS: I cannot take the sensor-to-rotor spacing any lower -- to get to 1mm, I had to relocate ALL the shims from the back side of the rotor to the output side...

Any advice...?
Replace the sensor !
Been There Done That...........
There is a loose solder joint in the sensor, it gets banged, goes 'sensorless' , then resets when you 'reboot' . Period !

Mark
Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drillit
Replace the sensor !
Been There Done That...........
There is a loose solder joint in the sensor, it gets banged, goes 'sensorless' , then resets when you 'reboot' . Period !

Mark
Hmmm... Might be worth a try -- I wasn't able to get a sensor unit from Schumacher USA, but I was able to buy one from one of the racers on here... Sounds like you've been down this road...?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by san.
I <heart> irgo.
Don't we all

Hmmm... Might be worth a try -- I wasn't able to get a sensor unit from Schumacher USA, but I was able to buy one from one of the racers on here... Sounds like you've been down this road...?
if it runs like a bad sensor, and you replaced everything BUT the sensor, more than likely you'll need a sensor.

Don't bother callig me at the shop we have no sensors and our last sales day was yesterday.
I'll keep an eye out for one for you
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

anyone tell me what ESC this is and how to program it? I have been looking all over for instructions... but cant find any.

It is a Speed Passion... have the Programming card for it... but no instructions to get it setup with my radio.

Thanks guys...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

if it runs like a bad sensor, and you replaced everything BUT the sensor, more than likely you'll need a sensor.
I'll keep an eye out for one for you
Thanks - I appreciate it!

PS: Like so many others, I hope the future of Speed Passion holds spots for you and Shawn -- we need the support you guys provide!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
It is a Speed Passion... have the Programming card for it... but no instructions to get it setup with my radio.
Here is a link to the manual for the GT2.0 & LPF:
http://www.speedpassion.net/uploadfi...552gt20pdf.pdf
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
yeah, i need something here for my current Speed Passion GT2.0's as if from what I am understanding how the 107 software works in 1/12, The Tekin's are just on another level.
My advise....get a Tekin RS for 12th scale...btw, I have yet to see a 12th scale that is NOT Tekin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.