Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US INDOOR CHAMPS 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This year's list of classes does look a bit too long. With so many classes to choose from, it becomes likely that no single class will have more than 3 or 4 or maybe 5 heats tops. I fondly remember the days when there was only 1/12th stock and 1/12th mod to pick from. In those early days (some might say glory days) the stock mains went down to something like the P or the Q. Just making the A main was a really huge accomplishment with so many entrys competing for only 10 spots in the show. Maybe if we had just a slow 1/12th class and a fast 1/12th class, one or maybe two rubber sedan classes, a slow and a fast foam sedan class, and a specialty class such as WGT. That would seem to be more than enough options for folks to choose from. Offering so many classes for this year's event does seem to thin out and water down the competition more than I'd like to see. Perhaps it's not such a good idea to try and be all things to all people. No matter what, somebody will complain. Come to think of it.......I just did.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey vafactor: Well said i totally agree with ya on this,but it seems every time a new class or type of car comes along it always seems to get a bit out of hand and expensive with all the hop ups and motor/battery combos out there. For example take 1/12th pan car some drivers are to good for stock class,but can't handle the speed of mod so do you add a third class say 19t/13.5 that would as you say water down the other classes. Thanks again and well said
Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by b-man777
For example take 1/12th pan car some drivers are to good for stock class,but can't handle the speed of mod so do you add a third class say 19t/13.5 that would as you say water down the other classes.
There's no rule that states you MUST run a 3.5 motor in modified. If your skill/car can only handle a 10.5, then run it. It's just the knucklehead racers that think they need the fastest motor on the planet, even though it's way beyond their capabilities.

But that would require racers to put aside their egos and act responsibly. Looks like we're doomed.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm not getting the 2 WGT classes and no stock 17.5 Rubber Sedan.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm not getting why the slower motor is on foam tires. 13.5 should be foam, 17.5 rubber.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Here's how I see it.......

If there had been only 8 classes offered, people would have complained there wasn't enough classes, or why wasn't this or that class offered.

Myself personally, I'd like to see the 13.5 class disappear across the board in every class at all major race events. I believe stock and mod is enough to suffice. That alone would lower the class totals to something more acceptable, and build class totals.

But would it eliminate racers complaining.... highly doubtful!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
Isn't that half the fun of racing.......
Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Here is my stab at it...

1/12 Stock 17.5
1/12 Super Stock 13.5
1/12 Modified
TC Rubber 13.5
TC Rubber Modified
TC Foam 13.5
World GT 13.5
USVTA

Since 1/12th scale is historically the biggest draw for this race, you can justify having 3 classes. Very few run touring foam modified anymore so TC foam 13.5 would be a class with more numbers. I usually run 13.5 touring foam and I will choose not to run a 17.5 motor in a tourning car.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by John Warner
Here's how I see it.......

If there had been only 8 classes offered, people would have complained there wasn't enough classes, or why wasn't this or that class offered.

Myself personally, I'd like to see the 13.5 class disappear across the board in every class at all major race events. I believe stock and mod is enough to suffice. That alone would lower the class totals to something more acceptable, and build class totals.

I think you hit it right on the nail!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Look at the IIC registrations for this year. Foam is clearly not what it use to be. It looks like for the current time Foam TC should not be offered at large race events and only rubber tire classes should be run to increase the level of competition.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Allright, a race like Cleveland needs some extra 12th scale classes.

1/12 17.5 Stock
1/12 13.5 SuperStock
1/12 Modified
1/10 TC 17.5
1/10 TC Modified
WGT 13.5
1 Fun Class (RCGT, USVTA, etc..)
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Look at the IIC registrations for this year. Foam is clearly not what it use to be. It looks like for the current time Foam TC should not be offered at large race events and only rubber tire classes should be run to increase the level of competition.
vegas west coast rubber tc is king....
cleveland northeast coast foam and 12th scale is king

which showed in the northeast series 17.5 and 10.5 foam last year
also they actually have a winter season unlike cali which is like 3 months that you might get a crowd at an indoor carpet track otherwise west coast is running in a parking lot on rubbers for the most part. hardly anybody runs 12th scale in cali look at the 2006 carpet nats stockton. -30 vs the 2009 carpet nats cleveland. 75+ even with class counts down due to the ecconomy me making the "B" in 2006 was nothing, me making the "C" in 2009 meant something.

your still not looking at 450+ entries at vegas like 2007 with the 11 classes this year that they have TC is down all over. I think you need to pick the race that fits what you want to run and quit trying to tear a major race down just because it doesn't have that one class that you might want to run. personally if you want to do drifting with rubber tyres all the power to you. I'll stick with grip and foam and support the races that run them instead of trying to force a region to my point of view. I have my own track and require the guys to run foam as it have been proven that rubber tyres shread carpet. but the locals like it that way. and I sell foam tires cheap so as to encourage them to run it. plus I can buy foams at stormer for $10 if I didn't have the deal I do have so that's 4 sets of tires for vegas for $80 and if I ran rubber it's I think $30 a set you can buy 2 extra and the one set that you get is in the price of the entry for like $20 so it's like $80 for 3 sets of tyres you do the math. I don't care who you are if your serious your going to run new shoes if you can. does any of this make sense or am I rambling on as it's 1am here and I'm tires....
Old 08-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Once again, as I said earlier and as Nash expanded upon......

WHAT'S POPULAR IN ONE PART OF THE COUNTRY IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT'S POPULAR SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The IIC is a nice race and run well, but it's not the freakin' gold standard of how every race in this country should be run. The western guys now have their very own big indoor race, and we're all very happy for you.

The first few years, all of us eastern guys came out and foam was big. That's tapered off the last two years for many reasons (the money required to attend, the "novelty" wore off, etc). It doesn't mean we don't race foam anymore. On a personal note, I only have so many vacation days per year, and I like to go to different events instead of the same one over-and-over.

So in the end, be happy that you got your big annual rubber carpet race out there....but quit trying to tell everyone else in the country how things should be.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the classes are set so there is no point even talking about it. It is what it is.

About foam TC being dead reflecting the IIC entries you can make the same argument about 1/12 stock entries. If you go by the carpet nats with 73 and vegas with 33 I'd think 1/12 was dead but that's not the case. The midwest and Northeast is where carpet 1/12 thrives, same for foam tc. No one will know if tc foam is dead until a few big races into the year. Lets stop talking about this an just pick a class you like, race, and have a good time!!

Paul
Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
I think the classes are set so there is no point even talking about it. It is what it is.

About foam TC being dead reflecting the IIC entries you can make the same argument about 1/12 stock entries. If you go by the carpet nats with 73 and vegas with 33 I'd think 1/12 was dead but that's not the case. The midwest and Northeast is where carpet 1/12 thrives, same for foam tc. No one will know if tc foam is dead until a few big races into the year. Lets stop talking about this an just pick a class you like, race, and have a good time!!

Paul
Amen brother. Everybody should shut the hell up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.